Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

A bit more positive here in this guys blog:

http://thecyclingblog.com/every-cyclists-life-matters/

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

CramCycle wrote: »
    Heard Paul Williams on Newstalk this morning. I moved jobs and house recently so had not listened to the morning show in awhile.

He clarified his anti cyclist rant with, I am a part time cyclist (then went onto say he drove everywhere).Quote

Cheer yourself u with Matt Cooper instead this evening, excellent interviews!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

CramCycle wrote: »
    Heard Paul Williams on Newstalk this morning. I moved jobs and house recently so had not listened to the morning show in awhile. Awful, awful radio host. I go against the grain and say he is an awful, awful crime journalist as well. Having lived near some of the families he wrote about in the past, it is fair to say they loved him and none of his stories even came close to reality, if anything, it could be said he unwittingly worked for them.

He clarified his anti cyclist rant with, I am a part time cyclist (then went onto say he drove everywhere).

Very much the epitome of the phrase, give me a picture and I'll give you a story type of person.
    I heard the first sentence, and I turned it off.

Mostly because I had a fair idea of the sentiments to follow, but I also dislike journalists who can't say words like "bull****" on air, but also can't think of synonyms.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I heard the first sentence, and I turned it off.

Mostly because I had a fair idea of the sentiments to follow, but I also dislike journalists who can't say words like "bull****" on air, but also can't think of synonyms.

It really screams of how (badly) pre-prepared it all was. I doubt PW gives much of a sh1t either way, but he had clearly prepped to go on a negative rant to rile viewers. As you said, if it was truly passionate like he wanted it to sound, he would not have stumbled or stopped himself. Not only a poor journalist, but a poor showman as well. Then the weak link to another host (G Hook), screamed of american daytime TV, let us link it all together.

I lasted about two minutes, the co host tried to be a counterfoil but really was putting nothing close to balance into it, I left before the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

A welcome positive perspective from the Times on the proposed close overtaking law:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/new-close-pass-cycling-rules-a-golden-opportunity-for-garda-1.2985490

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

buffalo wrote: »
    A welcome positive perspective from the Times on the proposed close overtaking law:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/new-close-pass-cycling-rules-a-golden-opportunity-for-garda-1.2985490

Fantastic to see an article that is not just trotting out the same old rubbish about motorist vs. cyclist!

Meanwhile I think that the proposed minimum passing distance law deserves a thread of it's own as success or failure of this initiative will have a profound effect on us all on the road. I'm off to start that thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Waterford Whispers News reveals the rediscovery of a lost gospel

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2017/02/27/blessed-are-the-church-goers-for-they-shall-park-illegally-cites-lost-gospel/
    ‘Blessed Are The Church Goers, For They Shall Park Illegally’, Cites Lost Gospel
    February 27, 2017 - BREAKING NEWS, LOCAL NEWS, WORLD NEWS

RESEARCHERS have confirmed that parishioners attending mass should be allowed park wherever they please, according to a startling new interpretation of a 6th-century Syriac manuscript from a monastery in Egypt.

The lost gospel, which was acquired by the Egyptian library 160 years ago, is being currently deciphered by a team of linguistic researchers, who agree the latest translation ‘Blessed are the church goers, for they shall park illegally’ is part of a long list of quotes from Jesus Christ, similar to that found in the book of Matthew.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

On one of the news bulletins on Today FM this morning (I think 7.30am) they asked motorists to watch out for pedestrians and cyclists (presumably in reference to the weather conditions). It seemed to make a difference especially on a couple of roundabouts that are usually quite hairy! It was nice to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

On one of the news bulletins on Today FM this morning (I think 7.30am) they asked motorists to watch out for pedestrians and cyclists (presumably in reference to the weather conditions). It seemed to make a difference especially on a couple of roundabouts that are usually quite hairy! It was nice to hear.

I like the independent's car biased alerts when it comes to bad weather warnings.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/drivers-urged-to-be-careful-as-wind-warning-sleet-and-snow-hit-morning-commuters-35488998.html

No need to panic. Only affects motorists. Pedestrians and cyclists will be perfectly safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I like the independent's car biased alerts when it comes to bad weather warnings.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/drivers-urged-to-be-careful-as-wind-warning-sleet-and-snow-hit-morning-commuters-35488998.html

No need to panic. Only affects motorists. Pedestrians and cyclists will be perfectly safe.

They probably assume no one would be mad enough to CYCLE in that weather Ted :D I laughed at the '40 mins on North Quays', took me 5 mins, including traffic light stops :cool:

• Advertisement

They probably assume no one would be mad enough to CYCLE in that weather Ted :D I laughed at the '40 mins on North Quays', took me 5 mins, including traffic light stops :cool:

Agreed, stormy weather (i.e. high winds,), I'll probably take the train. This morning it was bit of rain / sleet. Hardly a national emergency. Unless you're in a car :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

And sure if the poor auld motorists can't handle it, there's always the bus - to quote the article:
    A collision on the North Wall Quay is causing delays, but has now been moved into the bus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

by god, who wrote that piece? do they not have spell check?
    Nass south junction
    the AA has advised drovers
    gardaí are on route
    on the N7 between junction fove and junction four
    has now been moved into the bus.
    strong winds at Dublin Tunnel

It was a hell of a cold morning this morning but I was glad once more that people in the majority are still giving wider berths, even at pinch points where they typically may have got annoyed about the perceived hindrance.

Even if this law does not get passed, it has to be said, the seed has been planted, hopefully it will grow, even in the current cold weather. Media outlets, for and against(although they really should be neither), are to thank for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

by god, who wrote that piece? do they not have spell check?
    Nass south junction
    the AA has advised drovers
    gardaí are on route
    on the N7 between junction fove and junction four
    has now been moved into the bus.
    strong winds at Dublin Tunnel

Must be market day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

And why the hell does everyone just stand around and let it happen. Id be straight on the phone to the Gardai and follow them (at a distance) so i could guide the Gards to where they are.

Pure scum!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Saw a good one today, tried to get my phone out for a pic but couldn't find it.

A guy on a Dublin Bike, cycling holding a golf umbrella over himnself, one hand holding the handle bars, going down westmoreland street and eventually across luas tracks to D'olier st.

Made me laugh

Saw a good one today, tried to get my phone out for a pic but couldn't find it.

A guy on a Dublin Bike, cycling holding a golf umbrella over himnself, one hand holding the handle bars, going down westmoreland street and eventually across luas tracks to D'olier st.

Made me laugh

Yeah its a day for umbrellas ok. I had a fella walking towards the city in the phoenix park, huge golf umbrella taking up the cycle lane, oblivious to the bikes whizzing past him. Must be a day for it. Maybe some journalist will pick up the story and run with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as good a place as any to put this:

5 Keys To The Perfect Cycling City
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeoDTiJWetI

Yeah its a day for umbrellas ok. I had a fella walking towards the city in the phoenix park, huge golf umbrella taking up the cycle lane, oblivious to the bikes whizzing past him. Must be a day for it. Maybe some journalist will pick up the story and run with it.

Then you have people that hold the umbrella on the footpath at their height and don't worry it could take your eye out when going by them!

umbrellas drive me nuts. and i'm not tall; must be incredibly irritating for people who are.

as good a place as any to put this:

5 Keys To The Perfect Cycling City
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeoDTiJWetI

The Irish Government wouldn't understand that video

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Deedsie wrote: »
    Golf Umbrella's should be outlawed in a city centre. They are far to big, whats wrong with a small appropriately sized umbrella? Inconsiderate of others yet again.

Ah come on, you couldn't outlaw large Umbrellas in Ireland...image. Sure they are annoying and inconvenient for others but they are harmless if you are paying attention. :D

Deedsie wrote: »
    Golf Umbrella's should be outlawed in a city centre. They are far to big, whats wrong with a small appropriately sized umbrella? Inconsiderate of others yet again.

The small ones are just as dangerous, its the level people hold them at. Just rude people

Roadhawk wrote: »
    Ah come on, you couldn't outlaw large Umbrellas in Ireland...image. Sure they are annoying and inconvenient for others but they are harmless if you are paying attention. :D
    this sounds very much like the cars vs. cyclists debate but...

the person creating the risk is the person who should be the person on whom the responsibility for paying attention falls.

(this is intended as light hearted, before someone takes me too seriously)

this sounds very much like the cars vs. cyclists debate but...

the person creating the risk is the person who should be the person on whom the responsibility for paying attention falls.

(this is intended as light hearted, before someone takes me too seriously)

All umbrellas should be hi-vis :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

. I had a fella walking towards the city in the phoenix park, huge golf umbrella taking up the cycle lane, oblivious to the bikes whizzing past him.
    I have forcefully pushed umbrellas like this out of my way, get a hand under it and really flip it hard upwards, sreaming abuse is optional extra. The bigger the umbrella is the more leverage you can get on it.
    Then you have people that hold the umbrella on the footpath at their height and don't worry it could take your eye out when going by them!
    Always wanted to do this, but with blood in your hand, perhaps a fake eyeball too

though most of these speechless candid camera shows seem to be totally fake. And the people being pranked did not deserve it.

• Advertisement

You cannot play toy swords with small umbrellas /discussion

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement