Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I think he's more a carnival barker than a journalist these days.

I only know him from his TV3 work and I've said it before he often comes across like he thinks he's the smartest man in the room when he's clearly out of his depth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a friend used to deal with him when he was editor of the ST; said he was personable and impressively good at juggling many different tasks.

I've heard people say good things about him, but I get the impression that, like many people, he's been lured into the more lucrative business of riling up the rubes for texts and clicks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

look who his ultimate paymaster is.
    from what little i've heard from his show, i don't have much of an issue with it and his presenting style in relation to bikes there - he's not an advocate, nor should he be. that tweet though was obnoxious; he's a journalist, he knows what the point was and decided to twist it.

• Advertisement

Yeah was about say as much , TV3 and News Talk aren't exactly bastions of quality journalism. I shake my head nearly daily watching some of the reporting on the TV3 news. I shouldn't point at the people in front of the camera/mic really as it's driven from behind them but some of them you wonder where they got their education.

I don't really watch the TV3 news. I saw a small bit of the late night current affairs show with Yates and Cooper, but I seem to have an allergy to Yates, so I had to turn it off before I came out in hives or something.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I don't really watch the TV3 news. I saw a small bit of the late night current affairs show with Yates and Cooper, but I seem to have an allergy to Yates, so I had to turn it off before I came out in hives or something.

The kids like Judge Judy in the evening, she's like a 3rd granny to them and the news comes on after :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I used to enjoy The Last Word. He asked probing questions and any guest making a statement was asked to justify their position. In the last year or so it’s been majorly dumbed down and sensationalised. I don’t know whether Cooper made the decision or whether it was made for him, but I no longer listen to his show; it’s too annoying.

The Tonight Show is another vehicle for Ivan Yates to pontificate, with Cooper occasionally chiming in.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement

The kids like Judge Judy in the evening, she's like a 3rd granny to them and the news comes on after :D

I used to enjoy watching that. It's strangely compelling.

Whoda thunk it?

Hi-viz clothing has no effect on driver passing distances
    A study by researchers at Bath and Brunel universities has found that wearing hi-viz clothing while cycling doesn’t have a noticeable impact on the distance at which drivers pass cyclists by.

Some 269 cyclists rode bikes fitted with distance-detection devices and dressed in a range of cycling kit, including lycra cycling kit, a casual rider’s normal clothing and several types of high-vis vest.

The researchers found that the only item of clothing that had a noticeable impact on passing distance was a high-vis vest that featured the word “POLICE” on the back. Those riders were also bearing a notice advising motorists that they were being filmed. These conditions increased the average passing distance by 5cm, to 122cm.
    The researchers suggest that improvements to infrastructure are a more effective means of improving rider safety than changing clothing habits.

That sounds really like Ian Walker's study of a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

Crucial quote "Drivers find it very hard to judge how much room cyclists need" ..... lack of spacial awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Positive outcome for Dublin Cycling Campaign
    [url] https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/council-orders-contractors-to-make-roads-safe-for-cyclists-1.4163072[/url]

I did see a few junctions sanded the last morning or two and came upon street sweepers the last two.
    Dublin City Council has taken action against a contractor at a city construction site over an oil spill which had the potential to cause a danger to cyclists on the public road.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200205-the-worst-place-in-the-world-to-be-a-cyclist

Swap Gaborone Botswana for Dublin Ireland and you won't be too far wrong, esp the line 'Though cycling is leading in the first world, we are still decades behind development here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Yeah but Dublin is too cold and wet for cycling. Better stuck in a nice snug car for your 5km commute...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,218 ✭✭✭✭zell12

sean o'rourke will be discussing transport issues on his show later this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Is there anything to be said for more high vis?

[url]

The officer tweeting that is this guy
    [url]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

^^^^^^^^

I hope it was his truncheon, that the polisman was taking from his pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

If Dublin is Medieval how can it have cars and trucks? Surely with this type of thinking we should limit deliveries to mule and donkey carts only.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

There is very little medieval streetscape left in Dublin anyway. Most of what was left of it it was obliterated in the 1960s, 70s and 80s to make the main roads through Christchurch etc. The south inner city predominantly dates from Georgian times, the north from the 18th and 19th centuries too. Including wide boulevards like College Green and O'Connell Street.

In any case wouldn't it make more sense to say that Dublin's (sometimes) narrow city centre streets don't have room for cars?

This is a map of medeival Dublin. See how small it is. xnzl4j6acfc31.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Hurrache wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for more high vis?

[url]

'Road' tax and bike helmets would have prevented those crashes, and no mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

If Dublin is Medieval how can it have cars and trucks? Surely with this type of thinking we should limit deliveries to mule and donkey carts only.

Yeah you've got to credit the Vikings. Planned for the car in 800AD. Amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

check_six wrote: »
    'Road' tax and bike helmets would have prevented those crashes, and no mistake.
    And this one;

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/1226167349767737344

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I like the comment that cyclists should shoulder some of the blame for not travelling at the speed limit in an urban area... :facepalm:

Not fit for purpose – East Bridge Street and the Department
    The Department for Infrastructure’s Roads Eastern Division sidelined pro-cycling voices in its controversial realignment of East Bridge Street as part of what appears to be a long-standing grievance over how “the cycling lobby” successfully stopped the same change from happening in 2013. Instead, a handful of public complaints, nearly half of which dated back six years, which also included internal pressure from Departmental colleagues, were used to justify a scheme whose detriments to cycling were clearly understood by the scheme designers but for which no data on cycling usage were collected, or risks assessed before the change.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement