Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I don't think they count day trippers or lapsed members. The article there has it at 54,808 in 2015, taken from here:

http://www.dublinbikes.ie/Magazine/News/Coca-Cola-Zero-dublinbikes-latest-figures
    But low and behold, it gave me the current long term subscriber list in a link:

http://www.dublinbikes.ie/Magazine/Reports/Coca-Cola-Zero-dublinbikes-latest-figures

68,805 annual subscribers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Actually, the total of the bike share subscribers, excluding Belfast seems to be about 70000:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1POXe7h4Xq-1S5xkq9GAwoS_UD6hm8jutU-fbIf1LZPE/edit

from
    http://irishcycle.com/2016/05/05/evaluating-limerick-bikes-is-the-scheme-succeeding-or-failing/

EDIT: Cram has more up to date numbers anyway. 65000 just doesn't look realistic as a total of all "cyclists".

The longer this thread goes on for, the safer cycling is becoming statistically speaking :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

let's keep posting so!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

bump :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It's like that old Bono joke

• Registered Users Posts: 29,059 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Chuchote wrote: »
    Pity the census authorities don't ask people beforehand for suggestions on questions that would give a useful portrait of the population. "How many bicycles are owned by your home tonight" would be a useful one.

In fairness to CSO, they did a round of public consultation before the Census;

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/census/documents/Public_Consultation_Notice_-_FINAL.pdf

But they also have to balance the size of the whole thing against the suggestions. If they took everyone's 'useful idea' on board, the Census form would be the size of a phone book and no-one would complete it.

So yeah, the number of bikes would be interesting, as would the number of people who rode a bike in the last week or the last month, but would these really give a return on investment, or could the data be got in some other way, perhaps by sampling?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

I take your point re can't ask everything but by one means or another it's vital to get data re cycling in terms of plans for investment in active travel/relieving congestion/meeting our climate change targets/healthy Ireland targets etc etc

It bothers me that as far as i can see, the cyclist who died after the Conyngham Road collision last Sunday hasn't been named in the media. Any reference I can see is from 5 days ago. Neither can i see any updates re the cyclist seriously injured in BlessingtonLlast week. The stories related to that incident are dated 6 days ago and report the collision. The OP of this thread was prompted by the death of Donna Fox and many of us have also heard by name of Tonya McEvoy the cyclist killed recently in Kildare. it's not prurience on my part to want to know the name of the most recent person who died whie cycling. I just feel that that male cyclist also deserves the dignity of being remembered by name even by those of us who didn't know him and I really hope that the Blessington cyclist has pulled through.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cycling has changed a little.
    In 1884, a defendant who had shot a dog in Kenmare was acquitted of reckless endangerment by demonstrating to the court that he was such a marksman he could shoot a cork out of a man’s hand while cycling by.
    http://www.drb.ie/essays/the-best-circles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

MediaMan wrote: »
    there is opportunity to get killed every day on the roads if you are cycling. That is simply not the case to anything like the same extent if you are driving.

How do you come to that conclusion aside from general anecdotal evidence? I accept your point (broadly that cyclists are a more vulnerable party in case of a collision with a vehicle), but i think that in general our perception of risk is very poor. To be honest, I think most people severely underestimate the risks of driving, probably because it's been so normalised in our everyday culture. Cycling on the contrary is frequently seen as an unusual/weird/deviant behaviour and its risks are exaggerated.

It's very easy to fall into the trap of looking at the hazards around cycling rather than the risks - to use an analogy, it's safer to go for a walk in the Phoenix Park than along the pier in Dun Laoghaire where there is the opportunity to fall into the water and drown. One activity has an extra hazard, but it's not really significantly riskier than the other.

It goes back to the issue of how to accurately compare KSI figures from different modes of transport and how to accurately account for the general health benefits of increased cycling.

On the subject of segregated cycling facilities I'm a bit of a vacillator. The concept is fundamentally sound, but the execution has been so poor in Dublin and the consequent "cyclists must use the facilities" chorus make me lean the other way completely. Personally I would like to see cycle lanes included as part of the vehicular road system, but with a barrier such as rumble strips or cats-eyes separating cyclists from traffic - I noticed this setup on one of the main roads into Marrakech recently and quite liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

http://www.newstalk.com/Dublin-congestion-makes-it-slowestmoving-major-city

From article
    One major impediment to future growth, according to the report, is Dublin's problem with traffic congestion.

It was, in fact, ranked as the "slowest-moving" major city in the world. According to INRIX 2016 Traffic Scorecard data, Dublin traffic moves at just 7.5km per hour during times of congestion, with rush-hour speeds of a mere 5.5km per hour – "slower than a horse and cart".

A strong incentive to saddle up and surely a proper discussion on congestion charges in Dublin city centre?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It bothers me that as far as i can see, the cyclist who died after the Conyngham Road collision last Sunday hasn't been named in the media. Any reference I can see is from 5 days ago. Neither can i see any updates re the cyclist seriously injured in BlessingtonLlast week. The stories related to that incident are dated 6 days ago and report the collision. The OP of this thread was prompted by the death of Donna Fox and many of us have also heard by name of Tonya McEvoy the cyclist killed recently in Kildare. it's not prurience on my part to want to know the name of the most recent person who died whie cycling. I just feel that that male cyclist also deserves the dignity of being remembered by name even by those of us who didn't know him and I really hope that the Blessington cyclist has pulled through.

It's not for the media to report if the families don't want it reported really.

Weepsie wrote: »
    It's not for the media to report if the families don't want it reported really.

Of course I appreciate that; though it didn't occur to me until later, was just hoping that it wasn't a case of the death of a young male cyclist not being newsworthy enough. I imagine that a lot of the time the media gets a name from non-family sources and goes ahead and publishes anyway but of course if the family requested privacy that is their absolute right

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I am a subscriber on Dublin bikes, but never used it. Its handy to have in case of an emergency to get thru traffic etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

I am a subscriber on Dublin bikes, but never used it. Its handy to have in case of an emergency to get thru traffic etc.

As far as being an indicator for how many cyclists there are it is still good though. You are still a cyclist correct? I also have a subscription and very rarely use it since I mostly use my own bike. I doubt very many people have Dublin Bikes subscriptions but never cycle at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

http://www.newstalk.com/Dublin-congestion-makes-it-slowestmoving-major-city

From article

A strong incentive to saddle up and surely a proper discussion on congestion charges in Dublin city centre?

You might think that, but I imagine there are plenty of people who see this is reason to get traffic moving by getting rid of cyclists and bus lanes and reducing the number of pedestrian crossings and adding more roads and eliminating that impossible to obey 30kph limit. I've seen all those views expressed on boards.

HivemindXX wrote: »
    As far as being an indicator for how many cyclists there are it is still good though. You are still a cyclist correct? I also have a subscription and very rarely use it since I mostly use my own bike. I doubt very many people have Dublin Bikes subscriptions but never cycle at all.

I used to be. Kinda given it up lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Deedsie wrote: »
    https://www.google.ie/amp/www.mnn.com/green-tech/transportation/blogs/amp/a-perfect-marriage-electric-car-charging-and-solar-power

We should be planning for car parks like that within walking distance of or town centres.
    I read a while ago that if electric vehicles really take off, supermarkets and malls would end up competing to recharge them during the time they were parked outside; that is, if you didn't offer customers a free recharge (also envisioned as being solar powered in the article I read), you'd lose them.

Sounded plausible when I read it anyway.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/dangerous-driving-conditions-expected-as-countrywide-snowice-warning-comes-into-effect-35548736.html

More bad weather on the way folks, only impacts drivers though, so it'll be fine for cycling and walking.

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/dangerous-driving-conditions-expected-as-countrywide-snowice-warning-comes-into-effect-35548736.html

More bad weather on the way folks, only impacts drivers though, so it'll be fine for cycling and walking.

Should increase their commute in by a factor of 2. I will enjoy spending a 1/4 of the time getting warmed up and healthier, and then having a lovely cuppa before starting. Smug factor: 4/5

CramCycle wrote: »
    Should increase their commute in by a factor of 2. I will enjoy spending a 1/4 of the time getting warmed up and healthier, and then having a lovely cuppa before starting. Smug factor: 4/5

expect the words m50, vehicle, delays to feature as buzz words tomorrow morning.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    expect the words m50, vehicle, delays to feature as buzz words tomorrow morning.

It's mainly in the west. Independent is terrible for weather. Beautiful.sunny day but a bit cold. Bus is warm though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You wouldn't get many clicks if your headline was "Weather will be a bit colder than usual tomorrow."

You wouldn't get many clicks if your headline was "Weather will be a bit colder than usual tomorrow."

You might get a bit more respect though.

True, but the paper is now just a rag. Better off going with the forecasts on the weather forum on boards.

Bike was warmer, I bucketed sweat. Snood and two jackets was excessive.

Each to their own. Just cycling in the city for me is not worth it. Now outside the city its brillant.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

"We sexed up a fairly mundane weather forecast. You wouldn't believe what happened next".

I presumed you did cycle considering how often you use this forum. I wasnt having a go at you there was just saying the doomsday weather reports should be regionally based.

It was a perfect morning to cycle in Dublin. I made the mistake of wearing too much clothes.

I know you weren't having a go. Papers will always do the doomsday weather, just to sell papers.

The reason I don't like cycling in the city, its just alot of hassle and not relaxing. So I just relax on the bus and look at netflix or read a book.

I do cycle some weekends, not enough as I do more running instead. But now the weather will get better it be off to the parks with the kids on their bikes.

• Advertisement

I know you weren't having a go. Papers will always do the doomsday weather, just to sell papers.

The reason I don't like cycling in the city, its just alot of hassle and not relaxing. So I just relax on the bus and look at netflix or read a book.

I do cycle some weekends, not enough as I do more running instead. But now the weather will get better it be off to the parks with the kids on their bikes.

We had a guy in doing work in our labs, and it turns out he is a keen MTBer, years of experience, and a few nasty falls. I think he mentioned getting knocked out not too long ago. I commented on loving MTBing but I just didn't have the money or the time, and that I just go out on the road. The look of fear, from a man who does alot of MTBing, he couldn't believe that anyone would choose to cycle on the roads considering the behaviour of motorists on the road.

Is cycling in the city really that bad? I get the odd moment of stress but in general, it is quite relaxing, I would go as far as to say, it is generally as relaxing as you are willing to let it be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement