Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

The reason I don't like cycling in the city, its just alot of hassle and not relaxing. So I just relax on the bus and look at netflix or read a book.

Horses for courses. I find the bus horrifying and terrifying; only yesterday I was on a train and someone nearby was sneezing all over the place. Since I catch infections really easily I was scared.

Thing about cycling in the city is, you need to cycle strategically, cutting down the almost empty streets in between the blaring main thoroughfares. For instance, all Terenure and Harold's Cross locals, when cycling between the two metrollops, will cut in by Mount Tallant and cycle up parallel - a nuisance on a car, but more comfortable on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

CramCycle wrote: »
    Is cycling in the city really that bad?

My own experience it's not only the cheapest and fastest way to get around, it's not only the least stressful way to get around, it's positively enjoyable.

I was at a party with the kids at the weekend, and another parent who happens to commute-cycle got talking to me because we arrived on the cargo bike and was talking to me about how it was pretty hair-raising stuff, with the obvious assumption that I'd agree. That just isn't my experience.

But it really depends on how "quiet" you can make your routes. A route without slip roads and multi-lane roundabouts is a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

tomasrojo wrote: »
    it's positively enjoyable.

+1 Barring the congestion on the south quays in the evening my commute (Quays - Phoenix Park - Porterstown Road) is nice and relaxing. I could see how I might get a bit more stressed if I was heading out the N4 though.

Yeah, really depends on the route. One of my guitar-teaching gigs I had to go out to Finglas, and I found the Old Finglas Road a total pain. But I did find a workaround after experimenting with different routes for a few weeks.

I would say that I do spend a while looking at maps and trying out different streets on regular commutes. I really shouldn't have to do that. But it definitely has worked out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Each to their own. Just cycling in the city for me is not worth it. Now outside the city its brillant.

Funny, I'd go the opposite way. I always feel my safety is much more within my own control when I get into the city. The rural road part of my commute is where I get impatient idiots close-passing me at 80kph+.

• Advertisement

Yeah, really depends on the route. One of my guitar-teaching gigs I had to go out to Finglas, and I found the Old Finglas Road a total pain. But I did find a workaround after experimenting with different routes for a few weeks.

I would say that I do spend a while looking at maps and trying out different streets on regular commutes. I really shouldn't have to do that. But it definitely has worked out for me.

http://brouter.de/brouter-web/ is handy for working out cycle routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

We had a guy in doing work in our labs, and it turns out he is a keen MTBer, years of experience, and a few nasty falls. I think he mentioned getting knocked out not too long ago. I commented on loving MTBing but I just didn't have the money or the time, and that I just go out on the road. The look of fear, from a man who does alot of MTBing, he couldn't believe that anyone would choose to cycle on the roads considering the behaviour of motorists on the road.

Is cycling in the city really that bad? I get the odd moment of stress but in general, it is quite relaxing, I would go as far as to say, it is generally as relaxing as you are willing to let it be.

I would say yes, but its not just motorists, its a % from all users.

I do it old-school, with the Dublin Street Guide. On a new route, I bring the Guide with me. (I work, tangentially at least, in IT. I think I just need a break from computer-y things when I'm not at work.)

I would say yes, but its not just motorists, its a % from all users.

Now I'm fairly slow in getting around due to the cargo bike, I sort of wish we had a minimum passing distance for cyclists overtaking cyclists!

Now I'm fairly slow in getting around due to the cargo bike, I sort of wish we had a minimum passing distance for cyclists overtaking cyclists!

A big problem with the city is people just walking out in front of you without even looking!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

We had a guy in doing work in our labs, and it turns out he is a keen MTBer, years of experience, and a few nasty falls. I think he mentioned getting knocked out not too long ago. I commented on loving MTBing but I just didn't have the money or the time, and that I just go out on the road. The look of fear, from a man who does alot of MTBing, he couldn't believe that anyone would choose to cycle on the roads considering the behaviour of motorists on the road.

Is cycling in the city really that bad? I get the odd moment of stress but in general, it is quite relaxing, I would go as far as to say, it is generally as relaxing as you are willing to let it be.

I think it's somewhat down to what you're used to. But also control is a factor. While mountain biking certainly has potential for spills, you're the one in control and the only mistakes you have to fear are your own. But on the road, you've not only got to worry about your own mistakes, but everyone else's as well. That can freak some people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Meh! I don't believe that... Sure any decent MTB'er also trains on the road for XC and CX.. And you have to encounter roads at times on mtb spins to get to the trails or across to other mountains..

If you cycle on the Ticknock MTB trails for example, you will come into contact with walking groups, loose dogs(off leads) runners, sheep and deer, so it's no picnic either!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Meh! I don't believe that... Sure any decent MTB'er also trains on the road for XC and CX.. And you have to encounter roads at times on mtb spins to get to the trails or across to other mountains..

If you cycle on the Ticknock MTB trails for example, you will come into contact with walking groups, loose dogs(off leads) runners, sheep and deer, so it's no picnic either!
    That was my thinking, but he said the thought of city cycling really scares him. perception is an odd thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

I do about 250k a week all of it in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains,gave up cycle commute in 2013 after being hit by a car and tbh would never cycle commute again I see so many crazy motorists its scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Deedsie wrote: »
    Each to their own but I think that's a terrible attitude. The only way things will improve for commuter cyclists is if we demand improved infrastructure and civility from other road users.

We need to let authorities know we are not going anywhere so the need to #allocate4cycling

That would also be my view. I have had two accidents and had one motorist deliberately drive at me with the intention of hitting me. It did not put me off commuting but I don't let others dictate my choice of transport. However, I fully understand if somebody else decided it was too dangerous to continue or that they just did not enjoy it anymore. Some people just can't risk serious injury as it may impact on their ability to earn a living, pay a mortgage, pay for childcare etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    That would also be my view. I have had two accidents and had one motorist deliberately drive at me with the intention of hitting me. It did not put me off commuting but I don't let others dictate my choice of transport. However, I fully understand if somebody else decided it was too dangerous to continue or that they just did not enjoy it anymore. Some people just can't risk serious injury as it may impact on their ability to earn a living, pay a mortgage, pay for childcare etc.

What were the consequences for you of these accidents and in particular were there any consequences for the drivers involved and in particular for the person who drove at you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

http://www.independent.ie/business/farming/machinery/tractor-drivers-hit-out-at-cyclists-travelling-sometimes-four-abreast-on-country-roads-35555012.html

40 km/hr and calls for an NCT. Interestingly, motorbikes move a lot faster yet there's no NCT required for them.

Pitchforks at the ready

What were the consequences for you of these accidents and in particular were there any consequences for the drivers involved and in particular for the person who drove at you?

I am still dealing with the consequences of both accidents. Incident one was a pedestrian (van driver) that stepped out from behind his van with an object in their hand. It was the same as doored. Broken finger and it won't ever straighten.

Second I am still dealing with consequences. All soft tissue stuff but kept me off the bike for 4 mths. Driver broke red light and hit me. It's still in process. He denied he did...

The other one, is also ongoing. No charge from DPP but driver claimed I "criminally damaged their car" so I was up for possible criminal damage (which was actually self defence " No charge. . I am being brought to court by the driver. I am happy to go to court on this. All from a driver that came from behind me and tried to force me off the road. This is a cycle I won't ever forget for all the wrong reasons!

Good luck both in court and for your recovery! Interesting one that; came from behind you, but you caused criminal damage. So you didn't activate aerial mode and fly over the ditch out of the way?

Interesting one that; came from behind you, but you caused criminal damage. So you didn't activate aerial mode and fly over the ditch out of the way?

If I had a FLY 6 he may have been done. It was my word against his. No evidence.

• Advertisement

The deaths of cyclists killed by cars no longer seems to be a 'story' for the newspapers. Neither the man killed at Conyngham Road nor the man killed last night in Patrick Street, Dublin got more than cursory coverage by any of the papers. TheJournal was the only publication to give the latter any serious room.

Chuchote wrote: »
    The deaths of cyclists killed by cars no longer seems to be a 'story' for the newspapers. Neither the man killed at Conyngham Road nor the man killed last night in Patrick Street, Dublin got more than cursory coverage by any of the papers. TheJournal was the only publication to give the latter any serious room.

Chuchote, the independent does have it covered and also names the Conyngham road cyclist ad others we already know about

.http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/cyclist-40s-dies-following-early-morning-road-crash-35561423.html.

Some posts back it was explained by a poster that the lack of coverage may have been on account of the family's wish for privacy. This is totally understandable as having to grieve in public must add an extra burden, can't be helped when the person who dies is a public figure but a private citizen is different.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

colour me naive, or otherwise, but i doubt much of the media gives two hoots for the family's wish for privacy.

I thought in the case of the lad in Conyngham Road that this might be so - thought it at the time. But when another cyclist's death is ignored, I begin to think that it might be simply that these are common now, and so not newsworthy.

I thought in the case of the lad in Conyngham Road that this might be so - thought it at the time. But when another cyclist's death is ignored, I begin to think that it might be simply that these are common now, and so not newsworthy.

Feck off. There has been alot of deaths by car accidents that get very little paper coverage or news.

The one in the phoenix park got coverage.
    Unless the family speak out afterwards there isn't much to say

Feck off. There has been alot of deaths by car accidents that get very little paper coverage or news.

The one in the phoenix park got coverage.
    Unless the family speak out afterwards there isn't much to say

You're quite right in that (though your manner of making your point leaves a little to be desired).

I actually started a thread and kept it going for a while in the motoring forum listing every road death on the day it happened. They went crazy! They screamed at me! An attitude has come up in this country that road deaths are the norm, rather than something that is almost always avoidable.

You're quite right in that (though your manner of making your point leaves a little to be desired).

I actually started a thread and kept it going for a while in the motoring forum listing every road death on the day it happened. They went crazy! They screamed at me! An attitude has come up in this country that road deaths are the norm, rather than something that is almost always avoidable.

I don't think it's just road deaths are the norm, I think there are alot worst things going on. Which is a sad reflection on our world.

Sorry for the "feck off". Still pissed off over the Coleman injury.

More important? Some, not all. Irish Times' 'most read' list now:

412741.png

More important? Some, not all. Irish Times' 'most read' list now:

412741.png

No mentioned of the pilot body that was found? Or the accident in limerick.

• Advertisement

One has to differentiate between tragic and news. No offence meant in saying that. News media are a law on to themselves. If they want to make a story (have an agenda) they will make of it what they want. Also, some days there is more news than others and something that may get prominence, is not picked up because of other stories. That journalism.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement