Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I don't care. If I want to use inches and feet as a reference point when measuring distance up to a certain point I'll continue to do so, it's not like it's some obscure abstract.

If other people have what seems to be extraordinary over the top reaction to me doing so, that's their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭plodder

tomasrojo wrote: »
    That's logical enough really. There are very rigorous definitions for metric units (apart from the kg, which needs a proper definition in some universal phenomenon, rather than a reference object held in a climate-controlled vault), so might as well just define Imperial units in terms of metric.
    I'd say a lot of pro-Brexiteers would be quite upset to learn that though.
    The funny thing about the UK holding out on metric is that they did so much to create it, and so many units are named after British scientists.

Sort of like the Single Market, in a way.
    Very true. It's sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Deedsie wrote: »
    Its obviously something that I take seriously, to me when people use imperial measurements it just comes across as sloppy, uninformed, inaccurate and just lazy.

Our rail network does still use imperial measurements as far as I know. However the vast amount of administration in Ireland is done through the metric system. Why cling on to an old system when a vastly superior system is already used. Resistance is pointless

Calm down everyone, we can all go and discuss it over a pint :pac:

Its obviously something that I take seriously, to me when people use imperial measurements it just comes across as sloppy, uninformed, inaccurate and just lazy.

I, and many others, aren't bothered by such minor trivialities in life, and dumb labels and insults even less so.

Have you ever had to buy a car tyre? Wheel diameters are specified in inches and the width of the tyre in mm. A crazy mixed up system maybe, but it still works, and isn't going to change any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Chuchote wrote: »
    Probably because, for reasons of history, a lot of these shops are part of English chains, and a lot of our imports come through Britain, where they are fond of their old measuring eccentricities.

If importers and the government agencies that help them along have any sense they will swiftly move their chains of supply to France or Germany once Britain's out of the EU, though. (I hope they will; otherwise we're likely to end up paying two lots of tariffs on top of the cost of our goods, not to mention being dragged down by an economy in freefall.)

It's not that simple as far as I know. If I remember correctly from when we were building a lot of plumbing has different sizes in imperial than in metric. So you might have to deal with a few leaks when replacing Uk fittings with continental.

Anyway this squabble about metric/imperial is pointless. I grew up using metric and am very good at it, I am rubbish at imperial, but I would still have have trouble judging how much 1.5m is on the road. However I'm perfectly able to judge what is a safe passing distance. People pass dangerously because of disregard for safety and not because they can't figure how much 1.5m is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Any chance of cutting out the pedantic sh!te?

It definitely seems like now would be a good time for one of those "shocking" RSA ads. Perhaps something with a driver getting riled up when listening to a George Hookalike then choosing to close pass a cyclist "taking up the road" and clipping them. Tag line "Jesus people calm the **** down, you're only going to work. Let's all get there in one piece." May need some work :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,417 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hrududu wrote: »
    Any chance of cutting out the pedantic sh!te?
    Hopefully I've removed the worst of it

Anyone wants to post any similar crap please take do so outside this site

Any questions PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It's already been discussed recently, but RSA-style shattered-glass-and-grave ads are ineffectual. They shock the wrong people and never change the attitudes of self-important oafs.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Weepsie wrote: »
    Lidl are selling pool noodles this week. We could all get them and attach them to the back of our bike to illustrate safer overtaking space

That is a brilliant idea as such a visual aid and would be great in numbers. I did buy them in Aldi a few months ago but haven't done anything with them yet. think they were 1.5 plus so should allow for attaching if I could figure out how. There is talk of another protest soon so buy them up folk!. As Chuchote mentioned the MPDL is gaining traction with Nicholas Roche in Leinster House Yesterday and Phil Skelton having launched his 1.5 Mat at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

tomasrojo wrote: »
    It's already been discussed recently, but RSA-style shattered-glass-and-grave ads are ineffectual. They shock the wrong people and never change the attitudes of self-important oafs.

Interesting? Where was this? Any evidence?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

according to a text from my mother, prime time (starting about now, 9:35pm) is dealing with cycling.

i suspect the death of a school principal has garnered more attention than any other of the deaths this year.

according to a text from my mother, prime time (starting about now, 9:35pm) is dealing with cycling.

i suspect the death of a school principal has garnered more attention than any other of the deaths this year.
    On right now.

Not sure that's fair, I think it's the IT listing and the number in 6 months exceeding last year's. it's not so long since PT covered the issue before, re Donna Fox I think

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a fierce whiff of 'balance required' from the intro.

Better to know what you're up against I suppose but hard to watch with that HGV woman . Shes just awful

• Registered Users Posts: 13,007 ✭✭✭✭JRant

there's a fierce whiff of 'balance required' from the intro.

Didn't take long for mandatory use of helmets to pop up!

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nice to see a real time allocation there PT.

He shouldnt have got so emotional, weakened the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

I think it was good, focus on positive change to the city.
    Not sure point was made that motorists need to take a hard look at their driving given the recent deaths and make more efforts to be sure they are not putting cyclists in danger for the sake of a few seconds of patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Better to know what you're up against I suppose but hard to watch with that HGV woman . Shes just awful

Agree!

I'm just glad they didn't wheel that old hag out for the studio debate!

• Advertisement

seemed to focus more on what cities are for (which is not a bad thing in itself) than what's actually really required to make cycling more attractive.

JRant wrote: »

She was on Matt Cooper earlier and also thinks it's the panacea, she was pulled up on it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    that old hag

Hey!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

flatface wrote: »
    Interesting? Where was this? Any evidence?

Think it was in the Near Misses thread.

This paper had a fair bit of detail:
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0386111211000045
    Without enforcement and/or education a mass media campaign has virtually no effect in terms of reducing the number of road accidents

There's a section devoted to RSA-style shattered-lives campaigns:
    Even when people are sympathetic to the plight shown by the fear appeal and feel that the recommended precautions are both sensible and doable, the fear-appeal will not have the intended effect if people do not believe that the consequences shown will ever happen to them. Only if people feel that the portrayed consequences are relevant to themselves and feel they are able to take the preventive measures the campaign proposes, does the fear-appeal have a chance to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Anyone up for contacting your wan from the road haulage association to go on a spin, just to see if she has the same opinion about safe overtaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

JRant wrote: »
    Reminds me of the recent 'Welfare cheats cheat us all' campaign in the context of wide spread corporate tax avoidance/evasion in this country. A few lads scamming the dole is priority though, and the driving force behind a bid to become leader of the state! Priorities all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Reminds me of the recent 'Welfare cheats cheat us all' campaign in the context of wide spread corporate tax avoidance/evasion in this country. A few lads scamming the dole is priority though, and the driving force behind a bid to become leader of the state! Priorities all over the place.
    I'd actually go the opposite, the fact that one behaviour can be excused by the behaviour of others is the problem, i.e. just because "The Banks" we shouldn't go after Dole Cheats is exactly the same logic that motorists/ commentators do with cyclist safety. They shouldn't go after the motorist for dangerous behaviour, because cyclists also do things wrong (jump red lights/ ride two abreast/ don't wear a helmet).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i was disappointed in Eamonn Ryan last night tbh, i felt he started out far too combative (seemed to let his emotions get the better of him) and didn't seem to have a coherent objective for the conversation.

it's great that the time was allocated but i feel it could have been used far more effectively. for example the UN recommendation of 20% of transport budget for cycling projects was brought up in the intro, Eamonn then recommended spending 10% of the budget, Conor Faughnan agreed that more expenditure was required (cue an opportunity to form a united front and something that people can row behind) but they immediately moved on to other points.

i also found it very strange how Miriam kept looking at Conor Faughnan while asking Eamonn Ryan questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I missed PT, much watch it back on the player but I wonder if they'd consider showing some of the video footage we see here next time they're doing it. Anyone fancy sending in their close pass footage? Imagine if that was seen by the PT audience - it just might make folks realise how it feels...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'd actually go the opposite, the fact that one behaviour can be excused by the behaviour than others is the problem, i.e. just because "The Banks" we shouldn't go after Dole Cheats is exactly the same logic that motorists/ commentators do with cyclist safety. They shouldn't go after the motorist for dangerous behaviour, because cyclists also do things wrong (jump red lights/ ride two abreast/ don't wear a helmet).

It's the ever-present 'but' in nearly every interview and article

"X should happen to promote cycling, BUT cyclists need to wear helmets."

"Cyclists' deaths should not be allowed to continue, BUT if cyclists continue to break red lights..."

"Motorist behaviour has to change, BUT so do cyclists."

WHATABOUTERY!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement