Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

IIRC, one of the reason gay mitchell's ambition for this failed was that the IOC reckon the minimum population size for a city to host it is 3.5m.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Just before the pause button on desktop.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

CramCycle wrote: »
    Considering the cost of hosting it, unless they do what LA done and insist on previous infrastructure with a thought out plan on sustainable infrastructure for after the games, then I would say no.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/the-olympics-in-ireland-now-that-s-just-cynical-spoofery-1.3152693

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

dinneenp wrote: »
    Just before the pause button on desktop.....

Shockingly accurate description.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

I'm pretty sure there was a call out for people to do another one this morning between 8.30 and 9.30am at the cycle lane beside Supervalu in Ranelagh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

meant to post this yesterday - section from the irish times weekend section on getting fit/active - this was the bit about cycling.

422550.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Costs: One you have a bike, cycling is free.

Eh, I wish that was the case. There's always another piece of kit to be bought.

i doubt that's aimed at the type of people who frequent this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 murf

Yeah, I wear padded shorts or bibs almost every day when commuting because I want to be as comfortable as possible. If I weren't pressured into going fast by motor traffic and no infrastructure, I would use a Dutch cruiser and normal clothes.

Padded shorts? Pfft. Brooks B33. "Saddlesore? Yeah, I'm vaguely familiar with the term" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,068 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

buffalo wrote: »
    Actually, out of interest - do any 'pure' utility cyclists wear padded shorts? (i.e. bought them just for heading to work/shops, and never go on spins around the countryside.)
    99% of my cycling is commuting - 30-50 minute trips depending on the route. I do the occasional weekend spin of 1-2 hours, but probably less than one of those a month.

I got Lidl padded shorts some years back, and they work well for me. They are certainly noticably more comfortable than ordinary shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭The Davestator

To steer the debate back towards journalism, that Luas video has given fuel to the fire online and I fully expect some cyclist bashing pieces on the newstalk and the last word this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm sure there were similar videos released showing near misses with motorists and pedestrians in the past. But they've been long forgotten and the ire will be concentrated on all cyclists.

The funny thing is that there's no cyclists in that video of the type that people have their stereotypical rant about.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,068 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

plodder wrote: »
    , whereas walking on footpaths in towns/cities can be made close to risk-free,
    Tell that to this guy -

I'd definitely recommend 'going to the pub' helmets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

There is a move away from segregation especially in the urban environment

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_space

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

http://www.thejournal.ie/m50-multiple-tolls-speed-limits-3502090-Jul2017/
    The report says that:
    “In Dublin, there should be additional circular routes to link outer suburbs and relieve the pressure on the M50.
    “The use of intelligent transport systems (ITS) coupled with the introduction of variable speed limits and multi-point tolling on the M50 should help mitigate an impending crisis on this route.
    The only viable option is construction of the Eastern Bypass to alleviate traffic queues on the M50 at peak times and to mitigate against the occasional massive delays caused by a fatal accident.”

not public transport, not cycling, the only option is another road!

Engineers Ireland, whose members will most likely get paid far more for road building projects than they will for public transport alternatives recommend building more roads.

In other news, a notable number of students vote to reduce cost of beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Engineers Ireland, whose members will most likely get paid far more for road building projects than they will for public transport alternatives recommend building more roads.

In other news, a notable number of students vote to reduce cost of beer.

i could picture their excitement at the proposed design of the eastern section across the bay!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

One of their reps are coming up to discuss this on Pat Kenny after the 11am news

btw, something i think i forgot to mention which came up at the dublin cycling campaign AGM - i asked about the forthcoming RSA report which has been rumoured to recommend that cycle lanes be made mandatory, but the current info/feeling that DCC have is that does not seem to be expected in the report. fingers crossed.

Do you mean mandatory as in cyclists must use them, or that no motorised vehicles may use them? The Rules of the Road already say the former, probably thanks to Shane Ross's department.

as in cyclists must use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭plodder

http://www.thejournal.ie/m50-multiple-tolls-speed-limits-3502090-Jul2017/

That was one of the measures to be considered within five years. Among the measures to be looked at within two years are:
    - Reuse, recycle and repurpose existing transport assets,
    such as converting existing roads into specific bus, cycle
    and car sharing lanes.

- Accelerate the development of New Metro North from its
    current delivery date.

- Introduce variable speed limits and multi-point tolling on
    the M50 to avoid an impending congestion crisis in the
    short-term

- Develop bus priority routes, core bus corridors and bus
    rapid transit routes for high frequency bus transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

This is happening again, they're closing off the new cycle path at the Alfie Byrne Road to allow coaches to park there for the U2 gig on Saturday. I'd certainly get out on my bike if there's a protest happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This is happening again, they're closing off the new cycle path at the Alfie Byrne Road to allow coaches to park there for the U2 gig on Saturday. I'd certainly get out on my bike if there's a protest happening.
    saw that earlier on the garda site here

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=20882

was wondering if it had been mentioned in this forum, or if it is common practice. I know on the N11 at whites cross the gardai think it is perfectly fine to pull up onto the cycle lane (have not seen it recently though). I used to illegally but safely cycle on the (empty) footpath to avoid them, but never had the balls to roar something at the assholes -partly as I could not think up something witty/smart enough to say/shout.

I often wondered if there is some official protocol, are they supposed to pull up cars and stop them on the road or in the bus lane, or is the offical rule to pull them into cyclelanes. They could often have fit right up off the road and onto the grass between footpath and cycle track, where they would not block buses, cyclists or pedestrians.

One idea I had (but never acted on) would be to indirectly tell the gardai exactly what I thought of them, i.e. if they had a driver pulled up onto a cycle track after driving in a bus lane and were actively questioning him, to interrupt and start screaming absolute dogs abuse at the driver for parking in the bike lane, smacking on his window like crazy at the passenger side, cursing like a drunken sailor at him, WTF do you think you are doing parking HERE, in which case he would sort of shrug it off and look at the gardai who pulled him in, and in turn the garda would have to excuse himself or at least give some sort of recognition that he deliberately instructed somebody to get in the way of the cycle track. In which case you could ask why they are not fully parked up on the grass centre.

heh, i never use the cycle lane on the alfie byrne road anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

There's a nice big car park at whitehall church that the busses should be parking in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

heh, i never use the cycle lane on the alfie byrne road anyway.

Nor do I (don't live out there) but that's not really the point is it? According to Shane Ross were supposed to use cycle lanes, it's mandatory, and yet here are the powers that be closing one to facilitate bloody coach parking for a concert :(. We need to stand up to the authorities on this. It's just one more example of the disdain in which they treat people who chose to use a bike as their method of transport...

Also affects pedestrians too fwiw.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement