Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Ha! No idea. It's not true anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

originally brought up by one of the people giving one of the talks - i think i remember a 'having your leg cut off at the ankle' comment.
    one of the attendees put up an overhead photo of the venue and hotel - directly opposite each other, across a roundabout and commented it was much harder for a pedestrian to get between them than a cyclist.

I looked at that on Street View.

It's a massive roundabout I'm guessing to mainly aid car traffic. There are signalised pedestrian crossings all around it, but the design of some of the crossings looks like it could be easily improved without impeding on anything else.

Beside one or two crossing there's also near-Irish like lack of clarity that cyclist

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

again, not about cycling, but by gum, what a total buffoon.
    he regaled political colleagues and invited guests with a questionable piece of doggerel he had composed earlier because he was “so bored” at the meeting convened to examine a report he had commissioned.
    The Joint Committee on Transport, Tourism and Sport was discussing the results of Judge Carroll Moran’s inquiry into last year’s Olympic Games ticket-touting fiasco.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/miriam-lord-the-boss-ross-gathers-moss-with-albatross-1.3191245

Ross's gag about "one of the few good judges" was very ill-judged too.

I can't think of any minister ever who had so little interest in his own portfolio, or anyone who constantly kept butting into someone else's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Letter to The Irish Times from Peter White of Portmarnock includes:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/liffey-boardwalk-and-anti-social-activity-1.3193512
    Similarly, the Royal Canal towpath from the quays through North Strand, under Croke Park to Castleknock, has been abandoned and left to these same individuals to take over. I can safely cycle this route each morning to work (when there isn’t broken glass strewn everywhere) but wouldn’t dream of doing so when going home in the evening.

• Advertisement

Piece on the filthy condition of the Liffey at the Strawberry Beds calls into question the plan for a blueway along the river

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/liffey-s-poor-water-quality-raises-concerns-over-blueway-plans-1.3193506

(without really questioning who's polluting the Griffeen or the Liffey; usually this kind of pollution is industrial, for instance from dairies, or caused by farmers spreading slurry in wet weather…)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'm really starting to believe that the IT has an editorial line that is becoming increasingly anti-cycling and anti-cyclist....either that, or they are mindlessly processing the vomitus that passes for cyclist safety from the RSA.....

Insights from the people who treat the most extreme cycling injuries

.....zero context and no attempt to analyse the raw data.....it's not quite propaganda, but its not far off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Jawgap wrote: »
    Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'm really starting to believe that the IT has an editorial line that is becoming increasingly anti-cycling and anti-cyclist....either that, or they are mindlessly processing the vomitus that passes for cyclist safety from the RSA.....

.....zero context and no attempt to analyse the raw data.....it's not quite propaganda, but its not far off it.

It was accompanied by an account of a husband who is now a full time carer for his wife: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/life-after-a-cycling-accident-i-am-now-a-permanent-carer-1.3193428

It has gone very peculiar lately. Through the Keyhole with a Neo-nazi will not be a recurring feature I hope.(*)

(*) To be fair, it was a reprint of a Financial Times article. Even so ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they have been doing a line of articles about full-time carers of late, as far as i can see.

• Advertisement

they have been doing a line of articles about full-time carers of late, as far as i can see.

No bad thing, as the issues around support for full time carers need to be highlighted.

I think the issue I have with the first article is that buys into the RSA approach to road safety - which seems to be "let's scare the bejaysus out of people" - the RSA also seem to want to generate an idea that somehow victims share some of the blame for their injuries.......as in, if you didn't cycle you wouldn't get hurt. It's simplistic, and it'll possibly be superficially effective by driving down cycling rates (and hence injuries).

From a journalistic perspective, I would've thought some scepticism and probing of the party line being offered might have been appropriate. Perhaps mentioning the rise in the popularity in cycling? the documented wider health benefits it offers....or even while seated with the people from the NRH asking them how many patients they treat a year, then maybe you could form an idea as to the significance of the 10-15 patients they see with cycle related injuries each year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Chuchote wrote: »
    Piece on the filthy condition of the Liffey at the Strawberry Beds calls into question the plan for a blueway along the river

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/liffey-s-poor-water-quality-raises-concerns-over-blueway-plans-1.3193506

(without really questioning who's polluting the Griffeen or the Liffey; usually this kind of pollution is industrial, for instance from dairies, or caused by farmers spreading slurry in wet weather…)

It also mentions urbanisation and water treatment plan waste as causes, not just agricultural industries as the source of the contamination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

the first paragraph states that the majority of these trips are less than 1 mile yet
    you've to wait until number 7 to finally see a potential alternative to driving such a short distance, which then doesn't even suggest cycling or mention the environmental benefits of not driving!

well up the list is taking your car out on the motorway to empty the diesel particulate filter so that you can continue driving to school without damaging your car :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

I noticed the reporting on the bus/cycle lanes on the quays reported commuters being delayed in most publications. They didn't point out that only private car drivers where delayed and the vast majority of commuters had journey times improved. Seemingly bus users and cyclists aren't commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

the first paragraph states that the majority of these trips are less than 1 mile yet
    you've to wait until number 7 to finally see a potential alternative to driving such a short distance, which then doesn't even suggest cycling or mention the environmental benefits of not driving!

well up the list is taking your car out on the motorway to empty the diesel particulate filter so that you can continue driving to school without damaging your car :(

Very strange article. Sure, you can walk and it's faster and great, but jesus don't do it more than once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The article is sponsored by Done Deal Motoring, so not exactly independent.....

The article is sponsored by Done Deal Motoring, so not exactly independent.....

It's hilarious and depressing in equal measure.

It's also filed under "CAR MAINTAINANCE" which is somewhat amusing for the smug literati. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,068 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Slightly bizarre article on a few counts...

Why focus on cyclists' injuries? Based on road death statistics, I would expect that cyclist injury numbers are way below motorist injury numbers - so why this kind of obsessing over cyclists with no context as you mention above?

It is also disappointing to see the continuing use of the 'accident' terminology. RSA and others have at least moved on to use 'collision' - which is a clearer term and avoids letting people off the hook.

But the real strange stuff is how a rehab doctor is now treated as an expert in road safety. He's obviously expert at dealing with the outcome but he is no more expert on road safety than you or me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Yuck. The Journal is bottom barrel stuff now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/im-lucky-to-be-alive-today-irish-solicitor-calls-for-law-change-after-cycling-smash-36057524.html

A Dublin-based solicitor is lucky to be alive after he was knocked off his bike by a speeding driver and left with concussion while training in Greece.
    Cahir O'Higgins (42) has shared a photo of his injuries and called for a law change to protect vulnerable cyclists on Irish and European roads.

• Advertisement

I noticed the reporting on the bus/cycle lanes on the quays reported commuters being delayed in most publications. They didn't point out that only private car drivers where delayed and the vast majority of commuters had journey times improved. Seemingly bus users and cyclists aren't commuters.

Similarly, today's tragic Irish Times article about a woman knocked off her bike and permanently disabled with brain injuries refers to "road users" taking care of cyclists (followed by the usual "but cyclists too…" stuff, which I would guess were a response to the reporter's immediate yabbut).

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/life-after-a-cycling-accident-i-am-now-a-permanent-carer-1.3193428

buffalo wrote: »
    It was accompanied by an account of a husband who is now a full time carer for his wife: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/life-after-a-cycling-accident-i-am-now-a-permanent-carer-1.3193428
    Chuchote wrote: »
    Similarly, today's tragic Irish Times article about a woman knocked off her bike and permanently disabled with brain injuries refers to "road users" taking care of cyclists (followed by the usual "but cyclists too…" stuff, which I would guess were a response to the reporter's immediate yabbut).

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/life-after-a-cycling-accident-i-am-now-a-permanent-carer-1.3193428

The Times is doing a 'Road to Recovery' series this week, featuring accounts of people who have had accidents on the bike it seems.
    Tomorrow: Eamonn McSweeney on recovering from a life-changing cycling accident

Also: https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/which-are-the-20-best-cities-to-cycle-in-hint-dublin-is-no-longer-one-of-them-1.3194435
    Which are the 20 best cities to cycle in? Hint: Dublin is no longer one of them

Copenhagen most bicycle-friendly city for second time as the Irish capital is pushed off the list

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

The Times is doing a 'Road to Recovery' series this week, featuring accounts of people who have had accidents on the bike it seems.

heres another one:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/im-lucky-to-be-alive-today-irish-solicitor-calls-for-law-change-after-cycling-smash-36057524.html

Also: https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/which-are-the-20-best-cities-to-cycle-in-hint-dublin-is-no-longer-one-of-them-1.3194435
    Which are the 20 best cities to cycle in? Hint: Dublin is no longer one of them

Copenhagen most bicycle-friendly city for second time as the Irish capital is pushed off the list

Was dropped early on or elbowed out of it in the sprint :D:D:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Alternative headline:
    Copenhagen-based company picks Copenhagen as best cycling city

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Technically inaccurate too. More than one mechanic has said to me that the gentlest way to warm up your engine in the morning is to just start up, and drive it away very gently immediately. This warms it up far faster than leaving it to tick over (causing more wear)

that's a separate issue to the DPF clogging up though; you need to do more than just warm your engine up to cater for that. it's more like a gentle italian tuneup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Moflojo wrote: »

A Dublin-based solicitor is lucky to be alive after he was knocked off his bike by a speeding driver and left with concussion while training in Greece.
    Cahir O'Higgins (42) has shared a photo of his injuries and called for a law change to protect vulnerable cyclists on Irish and European roads.

Some of the comments on the Indo are unreal. Be curious to see if it was pedestrian mowed down at a crossing or a car accident in Greece what the reception would be?

The anti-cycling hysteria whipped up by the media here really has a lot to answer for.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement