Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

I'd like more details on the 73 fines issued for riding without reasonable consideration.

Couldn't give the contents of a used tissue about whatever else the Irish Times has to say on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The effectiveness, or lack thereof, of those 1,600 cyclists being fined is coming up on Pat Kenny now. Should be fun....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Wonder when Pat will do a feature on the 150,000 uninsured drivers that cost us all €60m annually, or perhaps the huge number of people caught drink driving - the latter is more of a concern to me as a road user than cyclists breaking red lights, given that there's virtually zero enforcement of this and when people are caught in blitzs it's in the thousands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Oh there's a surprise, people texting in about cyclists not paying their way like the good tax paying motorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

everyone's covered here from "the racer boys" to Rickshaw cyclers

Pat can't drive at 30km/h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

wow Pat, the daft left... have you tried to drive at 30 km/h...

Pat reckons you can run at 30 km/h
    I look forward to seeing him busting past Mo Farah in the next 10k race

He was also talking about people on racer bikes going 40-50 km/h.

papu wrote: »

He was reasonable at the start but started losing the head at the end there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,596 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cyclists doing 40km/h - dangerous.
    motorists doing 40km/h - not dangerous.

pat's maths obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

No, he reckons we even go faster than that, as he said mph :rolleyes:

Just cycled in there this morning - bit late due to a doctors appointment. I'd say conservatively the average car is going at 60 - 70 kph on the Dublin Quays. 30kph zone all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

De Bhál wrote: »
    10km? He'd be a world record holder after the first mile.

At least it would shut Ray D'Arcy up.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I thought Eamon Ryan was quite good, given the tsunami of Pat's ranty brain farts he had to deal with.

Next time Eamon: ask Pat how many of the 186 fatalities on Irish roads last year were caused by a third party on a bicycle.

but, but, but cycling is so dangerous, they need helmets, hi-vis, scrap that hi-vis helmets and hi-vis bikes......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lumen wrote: »
    Next time Eamon: ask Pat how many of the 186 fatalities on Irish roads last year were caused by a third party on a bicycle.

And that is the bottom line, you can throw all the numbers about you want, claim you see this and that, talk about how all these things nearly happen but either statistics mean nothing or it is really no where near as bad as some people make out.

Facts: Last year no cyclist killed another person in Ireland. Some cyclists may have killed or critically injured themselves but this number is incredibly low. Several motorists killed a few cyclists.

Last year some motorists killed quite a few non motorists. Some motorists killed or critically injured themselves. Some motorists killed other motorists.

It is not a strawman, it is trying to point peoples attention where it needs to be pointed. Alas posting it on a cycling forum either gets agreement or claims of deflection.

These were statements of fact, it is not deflection or strawmanning to state facts. if people still think cyclists are the problem, then they really should have all rights to use any vehicle, motorised or otherwise away from them. I wouldn't trust them to figure out a fold down seat on a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

I think you could nearly refer to them as 'The Danish Company', and most people would know who you meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Lumen wrote: »
    I don't think that scumbag Ryan is particularly interested in road safety.
    He (Ciaran Cuffe) thankful has now left my area but his fellow party members had posters up in the recent election which were very dangerous, I saw a near miss with a child & a car after he stepped out on the road to avoid a low Eamon Ryan poster (in viloation of safety guidelines, both ESBs and the county council.) I reported this to the gardai and county council and it was taken down, I didn't hear if he was fined/charged for this, the council are now supposed to be charging to take them down.

He was not as bad as Cuffe though, he knew exactly what he was doing.

buffalo wrote: »
    I think you could nearly refer to them as 'The Danish Company', and most people would know who you meant.

Sorry yes , I move it to the High Viz thread as I though it would be more appropriate there.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057136508&page=26

Sorry yes , I move it to the High Viz thread as I though it would be more appropriate there.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057136508&page=26

Well now my post just looks crazy. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Quite happy to have missed the Pat Kenny Gish Gallop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Only Danish company I can think of is Lego. What *was* the original comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Chuchote wrote: »

I cycle on these roads regular enough (albeit usually in a different province) and the concept really works well there, where drivers drive in the lane and move right when there is oncoming traffic (bicycles are traffic). I think culturally the mindset has long shifted there though.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I find this very interesting, it is about the case n the UK where a cyclist without a front brake hit a pedestrian who subsequently passed away.

https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2017/aug/23/motorist-would-not-have-landed-cyclists-wanton-and-furious-driving-charge

He was charged with manslaughter and wanton and furious driving, which motorists running down pedestrians would not be charged with (according to the writer who is "a leading personal injury/clinical negligence lawyer"

For those interested in the more technical legal aspects of this case, the author of the Guardian piece has a follow-up on his blog: http://thecyclingsilk.blogspot.ie/2017/08/a-note-on-law-manslaughter-dangerous.html

Chuchote wrote: »
    Only Danish company I can think of is Lego. What *was* the original comment?

Copenhagenzie saying "Ireland surrenders to motordom" or something like that. About RSA hi-viz giveaway to primary school children.

(Carlsberg is pretty famous too.)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

buffalo wrote: »

Huge fan of Lydia, she always comes across well and is a great ambassador for the sport and Ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

That article really pissed me off. She shows a very basic misunderstanding of feminism and why women's sport us the way it is.
    She says that women's cycling don't deserve equal status or money because it doesn't have the same history as the men's, well why the fcuk do you think that is? *massive facepalm* then it's we don't deserve the same wages cos we don't work as hard Oh ffs. Women train just as hard as the men for a fraction (if any) if the reward.

Then the whole I'm not a feminist I'm an equalist....errr that's the basic, number one founding tenet of feminism, equality, for all, not one over the other. *palm through face*. She hasn't a clue what she's talking about. I will willingly give her a few bits to read!

The rest was fine.

• Advertisement

nee wrote: »
    The rest was fine.

I love this final paragraph.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement