Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Southern Florida weather in late November/early December

Options
  • 04-10-2016 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what weather is like in southern Florida/Key west area at end of November. Is it shorts n tee shirt and swim in the sea or just dry n humid? Are there any issues with mossies or any other nasties that it would be better to know about before arriving??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

It will be upper teens, low 20s usually that time of year in southern Florida

Its not shorts weather and humidity will be quite low for that area. You can expect showers at times (well you can expect showers at any time day or night in Florida)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭shrek008

rossie1977 wrote: »

Its not shorts weather and humidity will be quite low for that area. You can expect showers at times (well you can expect showers at any time day or night in Florida)

Ok thanks, any advice on places to stay on the Florida keys?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

rossie1977 wrote: »

My parents live near Orlando, so I spend every Christmas there. It's been over 30 degrees at Christmas the last couple of years, so I doubt it would be that cool in southern FL? It's a good 4-5 drive south of Orlando.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Key West Stats

http://www.yr.no/place/United_States/Florida/Key_West/statistics.html

Orlando

http://www.yr.no/place/United_States/Florida/Orlando/statistics.html

South Florida and the Keys have pretty much beach and shorts weather all year round imho. The further north you go the more likely you will get cooler weather in winter

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Yeah if you are coming from Ireland , Shorts and t-shirts but you will probably need a hoody for night time. Unless you get a cold snap the weather should be in the mid twenties during the day to around 12-15c at night. Key west accommodation is very expensive so look around. It's a 4 hour drive from MIami and the road is pretty much single lanes all the way down with little passing lanes and top posted speed of 40mph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Hi

Been to Key West 3 times now and loved it, but the drive from Miami or even worse Orlando is real drag

Stayed here :

BEST WESTERN Hibiscus Motel, 1313 Simonton Street, Key West

and here:

The Paradise Inn 819 Simonton St, Key West

Alternatively you could try St Pete on the Beach - stayed here a couple of times also

Hope this is of assistance to you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Given current events I presume storms/Hurricanes are still a possibility?

The season seems to last until end of November

Thank you all for your replies, this is the plan, arrive in Orlando on 24/11 and overnight at the Hampton inn. Next day travel down the Atlantic coast and overnight in Best western intracoastal Jupiter, then travel on to Fort Lauderdale and overnight at Marriot Fort Lauderdale north, next day on to the Keys and overnight at Amara Cay resort Islamorada, then on to key west for 3 nights staying at the Marker waterfront resort, then drive back to Miami Beach and overnight at Ithaca of South beach, next day onto St Pete beach overnighting at the Grand Plaza Beachfront resort, next day onto Mco for late evening flight home. Is this do-able or do we need to go back to drawing board, all hotels booked ages ago so got very good rates but all bookings can be cancelled without penalty. Would love to get yeer thoughts on route and recommendations on best places to stay, also any info on must see's would be very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

shrek008 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your replies, this is the plan, arrive in Orlando on 24/11 and overnight at the Hampton inn. Next day travel down the Atlantic coast and overnight in Best western intracoastal Jupiter, then travel on to Fort Lauderdale and overnight at Marriot Fort Lauderdale north, next day on to the Keys and overnight at Amara Cay resort Islamorada, then on to key west for 3 nights staying at the Marker waterfront resort, then drive back to Miami Beach and overnight at Ithaca of South beach, next day onto St Pete beach overnighting at the Grand Plaza Beachfront resort, next day onto Mco for late evening flight home. Is this do-able or do we need to go back to drawing board, all hotels booked ages ago so got very good rates but all bookings can be cancelled without penalty. Would love to get yeer thoughts on route and recommendations on best places to stay, also any info on must see's would be very welcome.

Re driving, just be aware that there will be a huge amount of traffic at the weekend - Thanksgiving is 24/11, so loads of people going shopping on Black Friday 25/11, then folks driving back home on Sat and Sun. If you're on the road those days, get an early start.

It will be quite a long drive from Miami to St Pete. If your traveling round in St Pete doing the tourist thing stay on the bay or beach side. Don't stop half way in between it's pretty rough if you know what I mean.The area you are staying at is fine and safe .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

I have drove from Key West to St Pete on beach in 1 day

A long day! About 10 hr drive

The bridge coming into St Pete is awesome

I stayed here in 2015

Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort, 4506 Gulf Blvd,St Pete Beach FL 33706

www.PlazaBeachResorts.com

In 2013 I stayed here:

Sabal Palms & Coconut Inn Pass-a-Grille, Florida 33706

www.sabalpalms.com

Hope this helps

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Florida hurricane today. Occurs spring and fall. One factor when planning. Weather.

Fathom wrote: »
    Florida hurricane today. Occurs spring and fall. One factor when planning. Weather.
    Hopefully we should be ok at very end of November, christ thats all we'd need😱😱

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

shrek008 wrote: »
    Hopefully we should be ok at very end of November, christ thats all we'd need😱😱
    End November? Should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Used to live there. 'Nowt to worry about, come November & December. Hurricane season will be well over by then. Don't let the current media coverage put you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I'm living in Cape Coral (Southwest Florida). Today was this first morning I didn't have to have the air conditioning on in the car. There was actually a slight chill. I'm living here a year now and the summer was a struggle. I have had many electronics die a death in the hot car! Now that the temperatures are dropping the bugs will go away and the roads will jam up with the snow birds.

I'm living in Cape Coral (Southwest Florida). Today was this first morning I didn't have to have the air conditioning on in the car. There was actually a slight chill. I'm living here a year now and the summer was a struggle. I have had many electronics die a death in the hot car! Now that the temperatures are dropping the bugs will go away and the roads will jam up with the snow birds.
    Hi and thanks for your post, just wondering if you had a chance to look over our travel plans, in a previous post about 4 days ago, if you did, do you think its do-able or should i revisit it?

I'm on the road here all the time up and down i75 between Naples and Tampa. My brother in law delivers building materials all over the state. He tells me that the run down to the keys can be very slow going in season. I drove for the first time to St Pete last weekend. I liked the drive over the bridge (don't forget your dollars for the tolls or the rental agency will get you good!), however I thought st Pete itself was a bit run down. I wouldn't fancy doing that drive all the way from Miami. Fill your car with gas BEFORE alligator alley and don't get ripped off at the Indian gas station half way up. $7 for a disgusting chicken sandwich. Best on the road eats are probably Wawa (like topaz) or Racetrac. The latter have the best coffee IMO. Learn how to do a 4 way stop and don't forget to move out a lane for stopped emergency vehicles and highway patrol . your credit card will not work at the pump so you must prepay inside first. Ask away if you have any more questions.

I'm on the road here all the time up and down i75 between Naples and Tampa. My brother in law delivers building materials all over the state. He tells me that the run down to the keys can be very slow going in season. I drove for the first time to St Pete last weekend. I liked the drive over the bridge (don't forget your dollars for the tolls or the rental agency will get you good!), however I thought st Pete itself was a bit run down. I wouldn't fancy doing that drive all the way from Miami. Fill your car with gas BEFORE alligator alley and don't get ripped off at the Indian gas station half way up. $7 for a disgusting chicken sandwich. Best on the road eats are probably Wawa (like topaz) or Racetrac. The latter have the best coffee IMO. Learn how to do a 4 way stop and don't forget to move out a lane for stopped emergency vehicles and highway patrol . your credit card will not work at the pump so you must prepay inside first. Ask away if you have any more questions.
    How long would the drive from Key west to Miami beach usually take, and when exactly is high season in that part of the world?

High season is typically any time after thanksgiving although I've noticed a steady increase of out of state plates on the road since the end of August. We would have a good number of Minnesota plates on the road here as the "Twins" winter grounds are located in Fort Myers. If you can get down to the Keys from Miami beach in less than four and a half hours you're doing well. I don't know if you're going to have mobile data available to you (typically the carriers here will fleece you per mb for roaming) but I use Waze all the time in my truck when driving and it's very good.

• Advertisement

I've lived 5 years in Sarasota and agree with your comment on St Pete. Traffic will def pick up later in November with the Snowbirds coming down up north. Key west to St Pete anywhere from about 7ish hours to 9 hour drive.

Thanks for the help guys. Ok, looking like we gonna leave out St Pete and go with the following; 1st night in Orlando, 2nd in Jupiter, 3rd in Fortlauderdale, 4th in Islamorada, 5/6/7 in Key West and then 2 nights in south beach Miami, driving up to Orlando on last day for an evening flight home.Does this sound more do-able? Any input would be great!

Advertisement