Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Branch Shredding options

Options
  • 04-10-2016 10:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I have cut down a lot of trees. Most of the tree's where Leylandii which had overgrown for the last 20 years. As you can imagine this meant there is a huge pile of branch's. I have circa 0.7 acre to an acre now the Leylandii are gone and there is very few sections that are not covered in branch's.

So I have cut up all the trees and stored in sheds to dry out but now the next task. What the hell to do with all these branch's.

I contacted a few rental companies and none of them seem to rent the large chippers which I would need.

I am just wondering what options I have? Is there any companies that would be interested in taking them to provide saw dust etc?

Do companies actually come and clean up this type of stuff and any idea how much?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm kinda surprised you can't rent one - i tried to rent one a couple of years back, but the issue i had was that i wanted a narrow access one (~30" wide) and that proved impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

i'm kinda surprised you can't rent one - i tried to rent one a couple of years back, but the issue i had was that i wanted a narrow access one (~30" wide) and that proved impossible.

For the size of the branch's I want the towable chipper I think it is called. Can't find anyone that rents them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you in dublin? i rang a place called treacy mowers when i was looking - they don't do hire, but gave me a couple of leads. i *think* they supply to hire companies, they may be able to tell you if they know anyone who stocks them.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭shane b

Hss Hire & AZ hire have them listed on their websites. maybe they have a branch close to you.

shane b wrote: »
    maybe they have a branch close to you.
    badum tish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭shane b

excuse the pun. didn't realise at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

You can certainly hire one. I'd one hired out in the spring. Like yourself I'd a lot of Leylandii to deal with. It was one of the hardest days work I ever put in.
    The bigger the machine you can get the better.
    You'd want the branches cut down below 2" ideally. Anything larger slows down the machine. We had three people feeding the hopper from morning till late that night. Ear muffs are essential, I've never heard such noise off a yoke!
    I can pm you the company I hired it off if you like.

shane b wrote: »
    Hss Hire & AZ hire have them listed on their websites. maybe they have a branch close to you.

Yes they have on website so you would think they hire. Rang them and they don't supply.....

I did ask why they have on website so but didn't get an answer

You can certainly hire one. I'd one hired out in the spring. Like yourself I'd a lot of Leylandii to deal with. It was one of the hardest days work I ever put in.
    The bigger the machine you can get the better.
    You'd want the branches cut down below 2" ideally. Anything larger slows down the machine. We had three people feeding the hopper from morning till late that night. Ear muffs are essential, I've never heard such noise off a yoke!
    I can pm you the company I hired it off if you like.

Could I get please? I guess you mean 2ft?

i assume he meant don't shred branches if they're above 2" diameter.
    to be fair, that's well within firewood territory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

i assume he meant don't shred branches if they're above 2" diameter.
    to be fair, that's well within firewood territory.

That's what I meant alright. Though thinking back it was well able for the odd thicker one. Just with 3 lads feeding the machine it slowed her down a bit.
    For a big job like the op has I'd say the bigger machine he can get the better. Underpowered would be pure crucifixion.

As I seen nobody has come back with option for company that would like to do it for me I guess that was wishful thinking :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Have you just tried the local tree surgeons and asked them how much? You might get a day rate for one guy and the machine if you were lucky?

Notices a local hire shop near Dungarvan has one in the yard so some hire shops do them.

btw be careful where you fire the chips. I had the dashboard of a mini tractor wreaked when the target trailer was missed and chips when over the top and hit the dashboard controls.

HSS seem to have them available http://www.hss.ie/g/25567/Towable-Shredder.html

As do Sam Hire http://www.samhire.ie/gardening/item/143-industrial-branch-shredder.html

The Same Hire one is about the smallest I'd go for and I'm not convinced it would be big enough for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

All hire companies around here have machines that could easily handle that load.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I hired the linked diesel road tow chipper a few years ago for a place in Wexford. Specc'ed for 9" which was basically anything up to and including small trees. You really need a chainsaw too, and I found it clogged often enough on sappy pine foliage and branches so be prepared. I got through about a 1/3 acre of overgrown shrubs and small trees over a weekend handily enough, one day wouldn't have done it.

Advertisement