Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reps v weight

• 04-10-2016 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭

Just started back into lifting after a few months off. Time is limited so doing 4 compound lifts, squat, deadlift, bench and barbell row, 3 times a week.

Am doing 4x6 of each and just wondering should I use the same weight for all 4 sets or a lighter weight for first 2 and then heavier for the second 2 (would probably not be able to finish last set).

Just lifting to increase strength.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

TRS30 wrote: »
    Just started back into lifting after a few months off. Time is limited so doing 4 compound lifts, squat, deadlift, bench and barbell row, 3 times a week.

Am doing 4x6 of each and just wondering should I use the same weight for all 4 sets or a lighter weight for first 2 and then heavier for the second 2 (would probably not be able to finish last set).

Just lifting to increase strength.

Pick a weight you can do 4 x 6 with then increase the weight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Get all your sets at 4x6 for a month.

Then do a month where you add weight each set.

Then do another month where you work up to a 6RM, knock 5-10% off and then do 3x6 after.

12 weeks of training in the bag.

...of course that's assuming you can only do 4x6 and those movements (whicH I know you can't - but I'm working with what you gave)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Pick a weight you can do 4 x 6 with then increase the weight.
    Hanley wrote: »
    Get all your sets at 4x6 for a month.

Then do a month where you add weight each set.

Then do another month where you work up to a 6RM, knock 5-10% off and then do 3x6 after.

12 weeks of training in the bag.

...of course that's assuming you can only do 4x6 and those movements (which I know you can't - but I'm working with what you gave)

Thanks for the replies.

Hanley- could you explain the bits in bold please? Sorry probably obvious and me being stupid.

Thanks for the replies.

Hanley- could you explain the bits in bold please? Sorry probably obvious and me being stupid.

Bold 1:

In month three, let's assume you end up with 100kg as a 6RM on squats;

Squat:
    60kg x5
    80kg x3
    90kg x2
    100kg x6
    85-90kg 3x6

Bold 2:

The reply was written within a very narrow set of rules - that you can ONLY do 4x6 and that you can ONLY use the exercises you listed.

In reality there's about 500,000 other ways of doing it, but I wrote a post strictly in reply to the numbers and exercises you asked for.

Bold 1:

In month three, let's assume you end up with 100kg as a 6RM on squats;

Squat:
    60kg x5
    80kg x3
    90kg x2
    100kg x6
    85-90kg 3x6

Bold 2:

The reply was written within a very narrow set of rules - that you can ONLY do 4x6 and that you can ONLY use the exercises you listed.

In reality there's about 500,000 other ways of doing it, but I wrote a post strictly in reply to the numbers and exercises you asked for.

Thanks again.

So using squat as an example;

Month 1

4x6 @ 60kg

Month 2

Set 1- 60kg
    Set 2- 70kg
    Set 3- 80kg
    Set 4- 90kg

Month 3

As outlined above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thanks again.

Month 1

4x6 @ 60kg

Month 2

Set 1- 60kg
    Set 2- 70kg
    Set 3- 80kg
    Set 4- 90kg

Month 3

As outlined above.

If you are able to up the weight to 90kg in months 2, then the 60kg is very low effort.

It should be more like;

Month 1
    4x6 @ 90kg

Month 2
    Set 1- 60kg
    Set 2- 80kg
    Set 3- 90kg
    Set 4- 95kg

When you complete all sets, increase the weight. Actually starting weight will be based on current 6RM

Thanks again.

Month 1

4x6 @ 60kg

Month 2

Set 1- 60kg
    Set 2- 70kg
    Set 3- 80kg
    Set 4- 90kg

Month 3

As outlined above.

Pretty much.

Using 100kg as CURRENT 6RM to keep things simple it'd look kind of like this;

W1 - 85kg 4x6
    W2 - 90kg 4x6
    W3 - 95kg 4x6
    W4 - 100kg 4x6

W5 - 85/90/95/100 x6
    W6 - 8 add about 2.5kg to each weight each sesh if you can

W9 - 105kg x6, 95kg 3x6
    W10 - 107.5-110kg x5, 97.5kg 3x6
    W11 - so on and so forth

Mellor wrote: »
    If you are able to up the weight to 90kg in months 2, then the 60kg is very low effort.

It should be more like;

Month 1
    4x6 @ 90kg

Month 2
    Set 1- 60kg
    Set 2- 80kg
    Set 3- 90kg
    Set 4- 95kg

When you complete all sets, increase the weight. Actually starting weight will be based on current 6RM
    Pretty much.

Using 100kg as CURRENT 6RM to keep things simple it'd look kind of like this;

W1 - 85kg 4x6
    W2 - 90kg 4x6
    W3 - 95kg 4x6
    W4 - 100kg 4x6

W5 - 85/90/95/100 x6
    W6 - 8 add about 2.5kg to each weight each sesh if you can

W9 - 105kg x6, 95kg 3x6
    W10 - 107.5-110kg x5, 97.5kg 3x6
    W11 - so on and so forth

Thanks guys.

Will work out my 6RM tonight for each exercise and then adjust above accordingly.

Thanks guys.

Will work out my 6RM tonight for each exercise and then adjust above accordingly.

You don't need to work out your 6RM.

You need to do 4 sets of 6 with a weight that you can complete all 4 sets with while being kind of challenged.

Then next week, do it again with a slightly heavier weight.

You need to do 4 sets of 6 with a weight that you can complete all 4 sets with while being kind of challenged.

Then next week, do it again with a slightly heavier weight.

Ah ok, perfect, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

NEWB question - not meaning to hijack TRS30's thread, so just a slight detour.

4 sets of 6RM - does this mean doing 6 Rep Max of i.e. squats, waiting approx. 3 minutes between 6RM and repeat another 3 times?

I'm trying to figure out what certain abbreviations mean.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

NEWB question - not meaning to hijack TRS30's thread, so just a slight detour.

4 sets of 6RM - does this mean doing 6 Rep Max of i.e. squats, waiting approx. 3 minutes between 6RM and repeat another 3 times?
    6RM does mean 6 rep max...

But the recommendation wasn't 4 sets of 6RM.
    If it's a true max, then you probably won't repeat it multiple times.

Mellor wrote: »
    6RM does mean 6 rep max...

But the recommendation wasn't 4 sets of 6RM.
    If it's a true max, then you probably won't repeat it multiple times.

Thanks, as an example - what is 85kg 4x6 short for?

Thanks, as an example - what is 85kg 4x6 short for?

85kg. 4 sets of 6 reps.

We're assuming in this situation that 100kg is the most they could do for 6 reps, a "6 rep max".

In theory, you couldn't do multiple sets of 6 with 100kg if it was a true 6 rep max because you'd have no energy left to attempt it.

So in this example, they're picking a weight below their 6 rep max, and performing multiple sets of 6 reps with it.

They could probably do 8-10 reps with 85kg, but much of strength is driven thru increased training volume.

4x6=24 total reps @ 85kg

1x8-10=between 8 and 10 total reps @ 85kg

85kg. 4 sets of 6 reps.

We're assuming in this situation that 100kg is the most they could do for 6 reps, a "6 rep max".

In theory, you couldn't do multiple sets of 6 with 100kg if it was a true 6 rep max because you'd have no energy left to attempt it.

So in this example, they're picking a weight below their 6 rep max, and performing multiple sets of 6 reps with it.

They could probably do 8-10 reps with 85kg, but much of strength is driven thru increased training volume.

4x6=24 total reps @ 85kg

1x8-10=between 8 and 10 total reps @ 85kg

Super - thanks, and before handing the thread back to the OP - would there, generally, be a break between the 4 sets of 6. Think I have it then.

Cheers

Super - thanks, and before handing the thread back to the OP - would there, generally, be a break between the 4 sets of 6. Think I have it then.

Cheers

for strength work, whatever you think you need - plus 30 seconds (so approx. 90-120s)

for muscle building / conditioning - whatever you think you need, less 30s (so approx. 45-60s)

for strength work, whatever you think you need - plus 30 seconds (so approx. 90-120s)

for muscle building / conditioning - whatever you think you need, less 30s (so approx. 45-60s)

Interesting. Will adapt.

Advertisement