Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

power supply query

• 04-10-2016 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi all,
    We have a 16a single phase supply point here at work, they are the three pin type female sockets
    Wholesale-Saipwell-SP1366-3P-16A-230V-electrical-female-socket-adaptor-mold-generator-socket-plug-Construction-Chemical.jpg_640x640.jpg

Is there some sort of adapter to covert this to a type 1 I can buy that will allow me to charge the leaf ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

oinkely wrote: »
    how about an adapter to convert it to regular 3 pin socket and use a granny lead?

+1 I carry one of those adapters rated for 13A and one of these waterproofing kits:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0046JTTIK/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003IJAKLE/

Carry it in my frunk along with a 10m outdoor 13A rated extension cable and some other adapters.

Used it a few times at campgrounds and at dundrum shopping center when the other chargepoints are in use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭stesaurus

cros13 wrote: »
    +1 I carry one of those adapters rated for 13A and one of these waterproofing kits:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0046JTTIK/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003IJAKLE/

Carry it in my frunk along with a 10m outdoor 13A rated extension cable and some other adapters.

Used it a few times at campgrounds and at dundrum shopping center when the other chargepoints are in use.

Where do you use in Dundrum with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭proponent

but would forcing 16a down a 13a granny cable not blow it?

proponent wrote: »
    The granny cable won't take 16a and won't try to pull 16a. It's specifically for a 13a home charging 3 pin socket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Hi all,
    We have a 16a single phase supply point here at work, they are the three pin type female sockets
    Wholesale-Saipwell-SP1366-3P-16A-230V-electrical-female-socket-adaptor-mold-generator-socket-plug-Construction-Chemical.jpg_640x640.jpg

Is there some sort of adapter to covert this to a type 1 I can buy that will allow me to charge the leaf ?

some technical clarification is needed here

A type 1 J1772 connector ( Yazaki) for that matter , a Type 2 connector ( Mennekes ) are not simple 230 VAC connectors, They contain in addition to a normal single phase ( or sometimes 3 phase ) AC connectors , various control signals that control how the car decides what power to draw from the mains.

This is all defined in standard IEC 62196, ( note there is a mode 1 charging that omits the control signals , but its not been widely used )

Typically whats called an EVSE , often incorrectly labelled a "charger", is a box containing the relatively simple electronics, defined in IEC62196-1 Mode 2 ( IEC 6185-1) which generates the signals necessary to inform the car of the power of the " charge point" and then the car only draws that much power . There are some other safety features implemented as well, These EVSEs can therefore power a Type 1 or Type 2 connector as required

A " Granny" cable, actually contains a built in EVSE, typically at the mains plug end of lead, and so facilities mains to Type 1 or Type2 IEC 62196 compliant charging, Power can be controlled from approx 6A upwards to the limit of the mains feed, assuming appropriate rated connectors and an AC charger in the car that is capable of drawing appropriate power.

the EVSE is not a charger , and is more correctly called a charge controller

s.welstead wrote: »
    The granny cable won't take 16a and won't try to pull 16a. It's specifically for a 13a home charging 3 pin socket.

Ok so sorry silly questions here,

so basically I wont damage my granny cable by presenting it with a 16a supply,, it will merely draw 13a and charge the car at the same rate it would were it connected to an ordinary 13a domestic supply?

I guess what I need is this

But I aint spending that sort of money on a cable.

Thanks for all the responses everyone

most of them are set for 10A. My prototypes are programmable and I have a switch in the cable that allows 9A and 12.5A operation

so basically I wont damage my granny cable by presenting it with a 16a supply,, it will merely draw 13a and charge the car at the same rate it would were it connected to an ordinary 13a domestic supply?

as I mentioned a granny cable is a bit more then just a " cable " , you cannot charge most EVs , from a direct ordinary mains lead ( primarily because in the USA Mode 1 was outlawed and most car companies never bothered with it as a result , its why the Leaf for example has no Mode1, which arguably the 3kw charger version , should have )

If you don't already have a granny cable, like boatmad said we incorrectly call it a cable but its actually a portable evse, then yeah you'll need the whole thing like you linked.
    It might be worth getting the adapter and granny evse separately though. Price wise I'm sure you could get the two for less than £300 plus you wouldn't be limited to commando plugs and could use it anywhere you find a standard 3 pin socket.
    I keep forgetting that the granny is an optional extra with the Leaf and not everyone will have one by default.

• Advertisement

Thanks all,
    No I have a UK import so have the granny cable and the type 1/type 2, it was really only a query about using the 16a commando points at work to charge the car.

Thanks all,
    No I have a UK import so have the granny cable and the type 1/type 2, it was really only a query about using the 16a commando points at work to charge the car.

just buy a simple commando to 13A adaptor , handy to have in the boot at the best of times

BoatMad wrote: »
    most of them are set for 10A. My prototypes are programmable and I have a switch in the cable that allows 9A and 12.5A operation

The i3 sets this in the software with low/reduced/max charge rates. Hard to find info online but it seems to be 6a/9a/12a or 6a/7.5a/10a

10a sounds about right from what I've experienced to be the max but it's possible the software is region specific and maybe you would be capable of drawing 12a with a software change.

The i3 sets this in the software with low/reduced/max charge rates. Hard to find info online but it seems to be 6a/9a/12a or 6a/7.5a/10a

10a sounds about right from what I've experienced to be the max but it's possible the software is region specific and maybe you would be capable of drawing 12a with a software change.

A car cannot draw more then the pilot signal allows, so I suspect the i3 can set the current lower then the max pilot signal , but not higher, ( that would break the IEC specs )

sorry last question,

So If i plug my granny cable into a commando 16a supply using the converter
    This should be fine and car will charge happily at the normal rate it would at home?

A car cannot draw more then the pilot signal allows, so I suspect the i3 can set the current lower then the max pilot signal , but not higher, ( that would break the IEC specs )

Can you draw 12.5a from a standard socket with your programmable evse?

sorry last question,

So If i plug my granny cable into a commando 16a supply using the converter
    This should be fine and car will charge happily at the normal rate it would at home?

Normal rate you'd see from the granny. i.e. 10a as mentioned already. I think about 2.5kw compared to 3.3kw(16a) from your home chargepoint.

So a little slower but good for a full charge 10-12 hours if arriving empty.

Can you draw 12.5a from a standard socket with your programmable evse?

yes , the sockets are rated for 3Kw( 2.99Kw) , i.e. 13A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,726 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Electricity only pull what it needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

Hi all,

https://www.ev-power.eu/Electric-Cars/EVSE-kit-for-EV-charging-station.html
    i made a cable using this kit with a 16amp plug

• Advertisement

6A / 8A / and then max setting is "up to" 32A, i.e. max that the EVSE can supply. The i3's Schuko plug EVSE has a 16A rated plug on it and maxes out at just over 12A, but the version we get with the 13A Type G plug maxes out at 10A.

cros13 wrote: »
    6A / 8A / and then max setting is "up to" 32A, i.e. max that the EVSE can supply. The i3's Schuko plug EVSE has a 16A rated plug on it and maxes out at just over 12A, but the version we get with the 13A Type G plug maxes out at 10A.

??! Again the max power that can be drawn is determined by the duty cycle of the 1 kHz pilot signal. The car can be set to draw less but never more

??! Again the max power that can be drawn is determined by the duty cycle of the 1 kHz pilot signal. The car can be set to draw less but never more

That's what I said. I'm just pointing out that the schuko granny cable supplied with the i3 allows 12A and the Type G equipped version of same is software limited to 10A which is the reason for conflicting information out on the internet re: the amperage the i3's charger draws on the low/reduced/max settings in the UI.

Advertisement