Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you LOVE about other runners and running in general?

• 04-10-2016 10:37am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Go on then, tell me all the good stuff you get out of running......

For me, it's very early stages yet, but:
    - seeing little improvements each time I head out.
    - the exhilaration of finishing my intended goals for a run.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

parkrun.
    I love everything about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Running alone over trails in the Phoenix Park gives me most contentment from running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

• getting out for a run first thing in the morning, and feeling smug healthy ;) for the rest of the day
    • running past traffic
    • running on a horrible day, once you've been out a few minutes and you're not going to get any wetter so you just give in to it
    • running around parks or hills in the early morning
    • parkrun, seeing everyone out on a Saturday morning
    • running with a bunch of people in a club session
    • spectating or racing in the club singlet, and giving/getting shouts from club members
    • seeing all the marathon runners out training at this time of year. Yes, sometimes their form makes me despair :) but still, great to see them out
    • Dublin marathon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've been running for the guts of 6 years now and I still get a kick out of being able to go out and run 5km, remember that at one stage running 500m would have been a struggle.

I also enjoy the silent camaraderie in a race; when you find your "spot" in the field and spend 30+ minutes running alongside the same few people, moving forwards and backwards as the race progresses. You don't say a word the whole way around, but will give a hearty congratulations, handshake and a wave as you cross the finish line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭andrew1977

The mental well being and positivity it gives me cannot be underestimated.
    Hoping to complete the Dublin city marathon this year , for me to get this done considering my starting point under 2 years ago astounds me.

Oh and the many new friends I have met through the running, fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

I've been injured since may, plantir facitis and I miss running so much. There is nothing like going out after work for 30 minutes, clear the head and enjoy some me time. I tried the gym and swimming but nothing comes close to the running.

I am in a club and I really miss the social side, catching up with people every week and chatting about racing, training etc with people who are interested in it and don't think I am mad!!

Running is very simple at the end of the day, get out what you put in to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

being absolutely ****ed having completed a good hard session

finishing a training session that only a few weeks earlier you wouldn't of had a chance

talking about running all the time :)

hitting your goals or a new pb after after lots of hard work

the atmosphere in running clubs, it's about being friendly and supportive, certainly nothing like how I felt playing football

just going for a run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Early Sunday morning run. No cars passing you,the peace and the satisfaction that comes from enjoying the rest of your day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Racing- probably my favourite part of running, training is good and all but it's racing that really gets the juices flowing.

I have a spot that I train in which is a grass loop, and I'm happiest when cruising around that on my own feeling good in the peace of the countryside. Free therapy.

The camaraderie- a good proportion of my close friends are people I've met through the club and I get great joy out of meeting them for a Sunday long run, and miss it when I can't do it.

And I love watching high class athletics, the Morton mile is a highlight of my year.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

the cat nap on a sunday morning after the long run!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

The feeling out training sometimes of absolutely cruising along at a decent pace when it feels absolutely effortless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

gramar wrote:
    The feeling out training sometimes of absolutely cruising along at a decent pace when it feels absolutely effortless.

I was just about to post something similar. I love when this happens. I'd be smiling away like a loon sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Friendship ,sense belonging to a community...the best people in my life,well most of them are runners. It also provides a focus when jobs have went under,when things went wrong in my personal life,Ive always had running. Its great to get improve as well and an excuse to travelðŸ˜႒.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Im not running long but I do love how energized I fell after a run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Making your own road to the top of a mountain in an IMRA race, careering back down the mountain with your brain screaming to slow down. Being able to look at most hill tops in wicklow and say I ran up there and it was awesome. Friends made like your know them your whole life. Progress, improving on last season, trying to catch the guys that were usually a few minutes ahead of you, setting the personal challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭joesoap5

I love male runners with a nice a physique and style of running, inspires me to run faster sometimes as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

The wave/nod you get from another runner as you pass by them. Last night I got a wink which was nice :D

The kindness of the more experienced runner, I've met some out and about who can see that newbie look and heckled words of encouragement. Or when I tumbled head first into a load of runners last year and they stopped their session to assist :o

Hill sprints :D

Reminded me there of a sprint I was in and was on the cycle leg, this girl whizzes past and turns her head back, smiles and says 'you're doing well, keep it up.'
    Was on the run leg and who do I see just ahead of me starting to walk, the said girl. She must've heard me approaching and turned her head back to see me and then she started bending down to fix her lace as I passed her.

I said nothing and just laughed to meself. I was having such a sh^^y race but that gave me a great buzz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Feeling battered after a good run
    Crossing start and finish lines
    My wall of glory (my medals and race numbers)
    The shouts you get from other runners in a race
    High fiving kids at races when their hands are sticking out
    Race signs ( personal favourite is the one from the cork marathon saying run like your late for mass)
    People shouting out my club name as I run past
    General sense of pride

As I passed out a girl in XC last Sunday, she said ' well done' or words to that affect...ðŸ˜႒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Runners in general ;) I am full-on stereotyping here but runners are the nicest, soundest people going, ime. You leave your politics, your religion, your occupation at home and just go run. And in the pub you talk about running some more. Win win :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Guilt free cake after Saturdays Long Run!
    There are many other things but this is the best��

Runners who are very strong...but just get on with it and don't bang on about drop sizes and which type of shoe lace they chose. The ones that just cruise at the front, especially of the tougher IMRA runs.

Sort of the opposite of the over analysing plodder referred to in the other thread, who goes on about how much they spent and how they maintained their 6 min kms in that 5k fun run.

Runners who are very strong...but just get on with it and don't bang on about drop sizes and which type of shoe lace they chose. The ones that just cruise at the front, especially of the tougher IMRA runs.

Sort of the opposite of the over analysing plodder referred to in the other thread, who goes on about how much they spent and how they maintained their 6 min kms in that 5k fun run.

I hope you dont get lynched for making that comment about the plodders :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

The experienced runner who understands there are people at the back just as strong, who work hard, and have as much potential as anyone else on the course, once they put the work in,regardless of the speed they currently maintain in a fun run and who get the reason for the over analysing ;):D

joesoap5 wrote: »
    I hope you dont get lynched for making that comment about the plodders :pac:

Oh I have no issue with plodders. Before I became really good I was one myself...:D;)

It's specifically the ones who over analyse. Who drone on for ages about pronation or drop size when it won't make a blind bit of difference to their time.

So conversely I like the really good runners who are modest about themselves and just get on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I love how running really is all-encompassing when it comes to the people who take part!
    When I look at those who run at my local gaa club, at parkrun, at any runs/races I have taken part in, there's such a wide variety of people of all ages and walks of life. It's nice to get to know people you otherwise wouldn't have known through running, starting with a few words about how the run went to seeing them regularly at runs and then recognising them around the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Running home from work and getting home at the same time I would have if I'd taken public transport, but with the head clear and the body buzzing in place of a sense of lingering frustration at other commuters.

Getting out of the shower after a long run on a Saturday and plopping on the couch with a big feed and a mug of coffee.

Runners you meet in races who spend the whole time encouraging others and trying to pull them along.

Getting drenched and caught in a gale in the middle of a run and feeling completely alive.

Looking back at paces and heart rates from this time last year and seeing the gaping chasm between then and now.

The feeling of being generally in a much healthier place mentally than I was before I took up running.

Experienced runners who go out of their way to offer advice and encouragement to newcomers and those who are far behind them on the development curve.

Crossing the line at the end of a race, grabbing a banana and basking in that sweet endorphin buzz.

Running in winter when the air is crisp and still and you can see your breath.

Running in the dark, where through some trick of the mind it seems like you're going faster.

Running on new routes, especially when you're not exactly sure what's around the next corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

So much...but here are a few:

The moments of zen-like tranquility that happen when out for an easy run somewhere quiet.

High-fiving little kids during races - always gives me a boost.

The 'me-time' it provides.

That tired but satisfied glow after a race or tough training session.

But most of all - the people. Yeah sure there are some utter gobsh1te$ out there, they also number in the non-running population but by and large the people I have met through running either as a once off or that I would meet more regularly are fantastic.

• Advertisement

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I love how running really is all-encompassing when it comes to the people who take part!
    When I look at those who run at my local gaa club, at parkrun, at any runs/races I have taken part in, there's such a wide variety of people of all ages and walks of life. It's nice to get to know people you otherwise wouldn't have known through running, starting with a few words about how the run went to seeing them regularly at runs and then recognising them around the town.

I think this is very true and at the club sometimes being on teams together

Advertisement