Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you LOVE about other runners and running in general?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Saying the same thing again but I am a 'tiny' social minority, but the friends I make in running, I just keep on making them , don't know where else it would happen :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

Having a nice arse to look at when you are suffering in a race. (I assume it applies to both sexes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Spirogyra wrote:
    Saying the same thing again but I am a 'tiny' social minority, but the friends I make in running, I just keep on making them , don't know where else it would happen

Would agree, some big my best friends are people who I have met through running. Joining the club was the best thing I ever did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Spirogyra wrote:
    Saying the same thing again but I am a 'tiny' social minority, but the friends I make in running, I just keep on making them , don't know where else it would happen

Would agree, some of my best friends are people who I have met through running. Joining the club was the best thing I ever did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 RunnerGarf

ger664 wrote: »
    Having a nice arse to look at when you are suffering in a race. (I assume it applies to both sexes)

I pity whoever is running behind me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

ger664 wrote: »

Wouldn't it require the males to be in 'cycling' shorts or similar, though? Not that common, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

My first thought to running behind a nice rear

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mrmoonlight

1. I'm the happiest I've been in my whole life since starting running age 34 last feb /March
    2.My anxiety/depression completely gone
    3. Beating my p.b's
    4. Crossing the finish line is best feeling in the world
    5.the great Craic we have at my club's training sessions
    6. The new friends i have made
    7. Making my mum and dad so proud(im a 34 year old man ha ha)
    8. The refreshments and chats with other runners after the races.
    9. Well earned post race beers!
    10. Getting a mention/photo in the athletics section of our local paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

its given me the confidence to go into tesco wearing tights

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

1. I'm the happiest I've been in my whole life since starting running age 34 last feb /March
    3. Beating my p.b's

That's great, a lot of us would relate to that :) I've suffered severly with 'Anxiety' at times, while not 'gone' by a long shot, running has improved it 'massively' :) Running actually turns the 'anxiety' switch in the body off -fact and also burns a lot of the damaging stress hormones :) I agree that it is also nice to make family members even a little bit proud :)

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

3. Beating my p.b's

Very similar to myself, started at 33 and am now running for just over a year. I have a similar list but one big addition is that it cured my sleep apnoea. I guess losing a bit of weight around my neck did the trick, coupled with good breathing practice while running may have helped my respiratory system. I had already submitted to the fact that I would have to eventually fork out a fortune for a C-PAP machine, but running did the trick and now I sleep soundly, which in turn helps my runs; the circle of win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I was running last night and came across two women who were also out for a run. Both were proudly wearing medals they got over the weekend. Made me smile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I was running last night and came across two women who were also out for a run. Both were proudly wearing medals they got over the weekend. Made me smile

National track and field medals?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Chivito550 wrote: »
    National track and field medals?

Good God man, that's hilarious and by hilarious I mean sh1te.

They can wear medals swinging from their nipples if they so wish, their choice. Whatever makes THEM happy, init......

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Good God man, that's hilarious and by hilarious I mean sh1te.

They can wear medals swinging from their nipples if they so wish, their choice. Whatever makes THEM happy, init......

Somebody is on edge today. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Somebody is on edge today. :)

You were trolling!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

walshb wrote: »
    You were trolling!

Maybe I was.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

That's hilarious, pathetic and impractical all at the same time.

Maybe I was.

When two trolls go to war...............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Irishder

Struggling to get motivated to go running lately. Decided to go for a run last night, I literally had an argument with myself over it, just wasn't in the mood, Again!. Anyway went to the usual spot, track by the beach and done about 5K. After it I felt so good mentally, just a bit of me time to think about the most random stuff. Felt great for the whole night after it.

I cant understand why it takes such an effort to decide to go for a run, 30 mins and i love it. Yet don't want to do it. Bit of a head wrecker.... :)

Irishder wrote: »
    Struggling to get motivated to go running lately. Decided to go for a run last night, I literally had an argument with myself over it, just wasn't in the mood, Again!. Anyway went to the usual spot, track by the beach and done about 5K. After it I felt so good mentally, just a bit of me time to think about the most random stuff. Felt great for the whole night after it.

I cant understand why it takes such an effort to decide to go for a run, 30 mins and i love it. Yet don't want to do it. Bit of a head wrecker.... :)

Because it's not like going for a sauna or a massage..it can be painful!

walshb wrote: »
    When two trolls go to war...............

We learned from the best.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Irishder wrote: »

Have you thought about changing up your routes a bit? That can help with motivation a bit.

Or sign up for a race , or join a club. Or all of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

I only started running properly since moving to Switzerland. Last week, I ran a 14k race around a small glacial lake. The weather was hot all day but major storms were forecast for the evening.

Sure enough, 20 mins in, they arrived with a vengeance. The rain, wind and lighting was something to behold.

And everyone kept running. Even harder it seemed.

The last 2k was magical. The whole town was out just to spite the weather. Never have I been out in such appalling weather with such a big smile on my face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I only started running properly since moving to Switzerland. Last week, I ran a 14k race around a small glacial lake. The weather was hot all day but major storms were forecast for the evening.

Sure enough, 20 mins in, they arrived with a vengeance. The rain, wind and lighting was something to behold.

The last 2k was magical. The whole town was out just to spite the weather. Never have I been out in such appalling weather with such a big smile on my face.

Running in totally atrocious weather is a true pleasure.

Went out last Friday lunchtime in the lashing rain around Shannon Industrial Estate - could literally hear people in cars and offices mumbling "Look at that fupping eejit out running in this weather" :D

The perfect antidote to sitting in front of a PC for 4 hours.

Although there are exemptions to the crappy weather rule - I still have PTSD after running 3 miles into a gale force wind in the Achill Half Marathon a few years ago ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

This reminds me of a race I did in Achill a few years ago in horrible conditions. Really cold and winding with driving horizontal rain. The race was to raise funds for a defibrillator after a young local man died. The whole community was out supporting the runners despite the conditions.

Got absolutely soaked to the skin twice on last night's run, as it happens. The runners are still drying out in the porch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

On the dual topics of sh!te weather and general lack of interest. I read it somewhere and can always relate; I have never once regretted going out for a run - I have often regretted not going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Modesty of good runners compared to crap GAA players

Advertisement