Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you LOVE about other runners and running in general?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 yoyojonez

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Modesty of good running coaches compared to crap GAA coaches

And Do not forget us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Modesty of good runners compared to crap GAA players

My arse...

Have you read the training logs here?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

walshb wrote: »
    My arse...

I have coached both and see a significant difference but just a personal opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I have coached both and see a significant difference but just a personal opinion.

Don't waste your breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

davedanon wrote: »
    Don't waste your breath.

Don't worry; I wouldn't bother with the likes of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

walshb wrote: »
    My arse...

See what you started, shame on you.....

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Don't worry; I wouldn't bother with the likes of you.

I think you misunderstand. I wasn't having a pop at you. I meant that you would never get back the time spent having a pointless argument with someone who does little else.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

A quick update and salutary tale of how things can change in a heartbeat.

I was running on my holidays last month in Lanzarote and was loving it. Then, sudden pain in lower left leg. Stopped, turned around and slowly made it home. Leg painful but not overly so. Carried on with the holiday but no more running. Got home to Ireland, still not getting and better. Got and x-ray - fractured Fibula! Unbelievably disappointed. I had a previous break in the same leg 22 years ago. I went to a consultant Orthopaedic guy in the Beacon on Wednesday and he basically told me that the previous break has caused this break and advised me in no uncertain terms to knock the running on the head when it heals and to consider maybe buying a bike instead. It's hard to read my post below from June now without felling maga disappointed but that's life I suppose.

Enjoy the running folks while you can. As they say, you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. I'm determined to get into cycling though and hopefully I can maintain the fitness that way and who knows, I might even enjoy it.
    mosesgun wrote: »
    I'm new to running. Couldn't run for 5 minutes last year. Now doing regular 5k with plenty of 6,7 & 10k runs. It's been a total game changer for me in every respect. Mentally, I can't overstate the positive effect it has had on me. Physically I've lost weight and this was my initial motivation to get started. The things running has brought me;

That amazing buzz when you've finished a run. I never get tired of this.
    The camaraderie with other runners.
    The respect you get from other runners, even though I'm slow and inexperienced.
    I feel about 2 foot taller now that I can run 10k. I think it brings a certain confidence to you.
    Running has made me mentally a lot stronger. That feeling of accomplishment when you push youself beyond where you thought you could go. This makes you a stronger person and is character building.

Downsides of running:

I've become addicted to either running, talking about running or reading about it. My wife would testify to this.
    I've lost interest in walking. When I'm waking I have a tendency to start running.
    I've developed an unhealthy interest in running shoes (runners)
    If I meet someone in normal life wearing a garmin I feel compelled to start a conversation about running.
    When I see a runner when I'm driving I'm only short of stopping the car and shaking hands with them to congratulate them on a great effort.
    I'm regressing into being a child. I've started going out of my way to run through puddles and to kick jinny-joes!

My only regret is that I didn't start running years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

I think had there been Park-run 20 years ago or even 15 my life could have been so much better :) I see now secondary school pupils running this and a lot of the 5K's in particular, which is great :)

I was running on my holidays last month in Lanzarote and was loving it. Then, sudden pain in lower left leg. Stopped, turned around and slowly made it home. Leg painful but not overly so. Carried on with the holiday but no more running. Got home to Ireland, still not getting and better. Got and x-ray - fractured Fibula! Unbelievably disappointed. I had a previous break in the same leg 22 years ago. I went to a consultant Orthopaedic guy in the Beacon on Wednesday and he basically told me that the previous break has caused this break and advised me in no uncertain terms to knock the running on the head when it heals and to consider maybe buying a bike instead. It's hard to read my post below from June now without felling maga disappointed but that's life I suppose.

Enjoy the running folks while you can. As they say, you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. I'm determined to get into cycling though and hopefully I can maintain the fitness that way and who knows, I might even enjoy it.

I suppose there might be a lot more detailed data to back up this guy's diagnosis which you haven't given us, but, if there isn't....are you really going to give up just like that? An old fracture 'caused' another fracture many years later, and that's it? You're willing to walk away and give up, I mean, start cycling? Fractures heal, surely. What makes you so sure that you're done running?

• Advertisement

leg.jpg

here is the X-ray from last week. was originally a double compound fracture of tib and fib. new break is the fibula. He reckons fibula healed originally at a terrible angle and is therefore inherently weakened. if you've any suggestions i'm all ears???
    I suppose there might be a lot more detailed data to back up this guy's diagnosis which you haven't given us, but, if there isn't....are you really going to give up just like that? An old fracture 'caused' another fracture many years later, and that's it? You're willing to walk away and give up, I mean, start cycling? Fractures heal, surely. What makes you so sure that you're done running?

leg.jpg

here is the X-ray from last week. was originally a double compound fracture of tib and fib. new break is the fibula. He reckons fibula healed originally at a terrible angle and is therefore inherently weakened. if you've any suggestions i'm all ears???

Whoah. That X-Ray brings back memories of my own ankle trauma. Nothing like yours mind. Double compound fracture means both leg bones actually broken, as opposed to cracked, right? I merely had a fibula detached at the ankle joint, and torn deltoid ligaments.

But as for your situation. Are you going to stop running because the doc says so, or because you feel you actually aren't capable of it? As in, once your current injury has healed, would you be afraid of a re-occurrence if you ran again?

yep its 100% to do with the likelihood of it happening again in the future. I'm sure in a relatively short space of time I'll be physically able to run. Consultant told me that running 100% caused this and that i'd be mad to risk it again. I'll see how it heals and how I feel about it in time. Time is a great healer as they say.

Whoah. That X-Ray brings back memories of my own ankle trauma. Nothing like yours mind. Double compound fracture means both leg bones actually broken, as opposed to cracked, right? I merely had a fibula detached at the ankle joint, and torn deltoid ligaments.

But as for your situation. Are you going to stop running because the doc says so, or because you feel you actually aren't capable of it? As in, once your current injury has healed, would you be afraid of a re-occurrence if you ran again?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mrmoonlight

yep its 100% to do with the likelihood of it happening again in the future. I'm sure in a relatively short space of time I'll be physically able to run. Consultant told me that running 100% caused this and that i'd be mad to risk it again. I'll see how it heals and how I feel about it in time. Time is a great healer as they say.
    I'm really sorry to read about this must be heartbreak for you, but feck it give the cycling ago for awhile who's knows you might love it and it will keep you fit and healthy aswell maybe you could give running another go in the future when it's healed 100% go easy short distances never say never! Don't give up on it! Maybe get a second opinion from a doctor that knows about running. Whatever happens i wish you good look

Thanks a lot. That's a really nice, encouraging and positive post. I'll definitely give cycling a good go and I'm sure in time running may become part of my life again. Appreciate the post.

I'm really sorry to read about this must be heartbreak for you, but feck it give the cycling ago for awhile who's knows you might love it and it will keep you fit and healthy aswell maybe you could give running another go in the future when it's healed 100% go easy short distances never say never! Don't give up on it! Maybe get a second opinion from a doctor that knows about running. Whatever happens i wish you good look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

Racing a 5 mile today and got a dizzy/blackout spell about half way. Not a nice experience felt grand once I stooped for a bita fellow runner saw it stopped and ran at a slow pace with me until we got to the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wildgreen

Don't see any reason for you to stop running. Get some advice on your running shoes and style and run on grass more if you have been on roads. Are you running on your toes? That puts a lot of pressure on the legs especially for someone new to running. If you do go back running get advice from people involved with runners and do a little less until you are ready for more. Enjoy the runs until you get stronger. If you were much overweight that would have been another contributing pressure. Check your diet also for sufficient calcium.

Main reason is consultant told me it's likely to break again if I continue running. I defo don't land on my toes. More mid foot. Have lost 2.5 stone so a lot lighter now than when I started. Could do with losing more though. You're right about surfaces though. Had been running 90% on grassy riverbank but about two weeks before break I started road running, plenty of paths, steps, uneven ground etc, which I'm sure was a contributing factor. Thanks for input. Appreciate it.
    wildgreen wrote: »
    Don't see any reason for you to stop running. Get some advice on your running shoes and style and run on grass more if you have been on roads. Are you running on your toes? That puts a lot of pressure on the legs especially for someone new to running. If you do go back running get advice from people involved with runners and do a little less until you are ready for more. Enjoy the runs until you get stronger. If you were much overweight that would have been another contributing pressure. Check your diet also for sufficient calcium.

Maybe get a second opinion from a doctor that knows about running.

This is good advice. Doctors and consultants are as prone to bias as anyone else. Some medical experts are definitely anti-running, while others (as often as not runners themselves) are far more simpatico

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Did Connemara 100 at weekend and passed out at mile 82 checkpoint, woke up sitting beside the wheel of the crew car with a crew member slapping my face.

After sleeping for around 40min I got back up and finished the race anyway (not the time I wanted), what makes this relevant? :)
    I received a tremendous amount of support from other runners who heard what happened especially on the 3x loops at the finish.

I'm either stubborn to stupid that I went on to finish, but wouldn't have finished without my wife saying I wasn't actually that bad :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Cabaal wrote: »

After sleeping for around 40min I got back up and finished the race anyway (not the time I wanted),

Love that but how did u wake up after 40 mins sleep, I'd have been out for the count for at least my 8 hours.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The Muppet wrote: »
    Love that but how did u wake up after 40 mins sleep, I'd have been out for the count for at least my 8 hours.

Wife woke me up after the 40min, suggested I get changed, eat some food and get back on the road

I could have easily have slept for 8 hours believe me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Cabaal wrote: »
    Wife woke me up after the 40min, suggested I get changed, eat some food and get the f*ck back on the road

True love! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

ger664 wrote: »
    Racing a 5 mile today and got a dizzy/blackout spell about half way. Not a nice experience felt grand once I stooped for a bita fellow runner saw it stopped and ran at a slow pace with me until we got to the finish.

I get dizzy spells occasionally when doing hill sprints - if I concentrate on breathing deeply rather than hyperventilating that doesn't happen.

Also, running on low blood sugar levels can make me feel like I'm going to pass out, though I've never gotten to the level where I'm actually close to passing out.

True love! :)

She just didn't want me doing Connemara again next year if I DNF'ed :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

Getting high-fived by a random runner going in the opposite direction as I was running back in from Sutton this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Post Parkrun cake :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

This one brought a smile to my face yesterday. I was texting a friend, "Do you want to meet up for a ....."

Now I was planning on typing beer or coffee but the suggestions that scrolled across the top were, "Long Run, Medium Longie, and ........"

Hardcore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Was out for a quick run the other evening – part of the route takes me past a local pub.

I could see a woman in her mid-20’s or so outside smoking. As I got nearer, she took a long drag on her cigarette, and then uttered the most amazing running heckle I’ve ever heard…..

“I admire you”

Luckily, I was doing a speed session so the moment of awkwardness was very fleeting…..three days later and I'm still not fully sure how to interpret it but it can only be a positive thing, unless she was going for some form of existential, ironic, patronising put-down :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

conti wrote: »
    Getting high-fived by a random runner going in the opposite direction as I was running back in from Sutton this morning.

Damn I so want to do this.

Advertisement