Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you LOVE about other runners and running in general?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭positron

Now that we are on the last few weeks to DCM, I have been noticing a lot of runners out doing their LSRs - you can tell they are doing their LSRs because you can tell while they are looking straight ahead, in their mind they are keeping their heads down. Their eyes are open but they are no looking at anything in particular. They are not thinking about anything either - other than just repeating "urgh... got.. to.. keep.. going. You can tell they are tired from their body posture but they will not stop - you can tell they are not enjoying it, you can even see a glint of fear in their eyes.. but they just keep plodding along. That's your co-DCM-aspirant right there. Occasionally you will see a fresh face flying along with a look that says "ha you slow bastard" on their face as they bounce from leg to leg like a gazelle.. and you know for sure that they are not working towards DCM.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I just love how it takes hold and once it does, nothing is ever the same. When trip gate happened a few weeks ago, it put me off running. I knew it was ridiculous, the fall wasn't that bad. But when I thought of running, the chances that my face would smack the ground again just took over. I thought maybe walking would be safer and not much slower than my 'running' pace :pac:.

Anyhow the eldest was at a hurling blitz today and standing around the mountains in the p*ssing rain was miserable. So I thought I'd start my new hobby and walk a few laps of the pitches. It was crap it was way too slow, which is rich coming from me! :pac: Anyhow I naturally without deliberate intent, just started jogging. It felt so great, once I got going. It felt like home! It was hard, which I'm hoping the grass is partly to blame for. I had to walk and run so its no great return and I'd say I looked like a right eejit, but I was loving it!

I won't be pbing any time in the near future, but it reignited a spark! I love that no matter what level you are at, when the bug bites, you don't need anything else but a pair of runners and off you go again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

For me....

It has to be those days where you just feel invincible whether it's in training or a race.

Hyperbole aside, I live for those moments and nothing hits that spot as often as running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

The feeling today at great pink run 10k when at 9.5k I found energy reserves I didn't know existed and sprinted past everyone in front of me to the finish...go me :)
    Love watching folk of all ages and sizes out enjoying running at their pace...fair play to them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

I love that this time last year I started the C25K app and 2 weeks ago I ran my 1st full marathon. The journey has being amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

When you get used to small gains in speed, form, distance etc that you don't notice the small improvements until you look back and realise how far you have come.
    I was initially disappointed in the time I got in a run at the weekend. But I was over a minute quicker than the same outing a year ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Lazare wrote: »
    Damn I so want to do this.

Got to do it today. :)

Have a 2 mile loop near my house, was doing two loops today. I passed a lady in her late sixties walking the same route, when I went by her again she says 'well done, that was fast' (wasn't really) and it made me smile.

On the next loop I came towards her again and she put the hand up in the air and we did a big high 5.

It's the little things that are wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Autumn running :)

Advertisement