Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My eir experience

Options
  • 04-10-2016 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I want to share my experience as a new eir customer...

1) On Friday 9th September 2016 I placed an online order to switch my home phone, broadband and mobile provider to eir. As part of the package I ordered a new iPhone 6 at a cost of €149. I went through all the steps online and when I processed the payment the eir website crashed. I rang the sales department and was assured the order wouldn’t go through. I checked my credit card statement on the 12th September 2016 and I was indeed charged €149.

I have tried and tried via phones calls and emails to have this resolved, I have sent screen shots with purchase references etc… to eir and despite my best efforts eir have not returned my money. As of 4th October 2016 there has been no resolution.

2) After the website crashed I put a second order in for a bundled home phone, broadband and mobile package (18 month contract) and paid another €149 for an iPhone 6 as part of my order which has also been charged.

I also understood that as part of a September deal I would be entitled to €100 cash back.

3) When I got my broadband/phone/mobile order confirmation eir had also included the TV option which I didn’t order. I rang the customer care and they said it was better for me to take the whole bundle. While not entirely happy or convinced I let them proceed.

4) After a delay (I had to make several calls to customer care) my phone arrived and I transferred my number to eir. Very quickly I was unhappy with a number of things: Despite getting 4G on Meteor (who essentially are eir) whom I transferred from, eir mobile data speed never got above 3G or H+. In the few weeks it has been on eir it has never picked up 4G anywhere I’ve been including Dublin. The sales person in the eir shop told me ‘off the record’ that this was probably because eir was a secondary carrier on the Meteor network.

I also discovered that the mobile contact was for 24 months not 18 months as advertised. I only found this out by chance via the ‘My Eir’ app on my phone.

A second chance discovery (via numerous clicks a number of screens on) also annoyed me - the promised €100 cashback was only for the first 500 customers not for everyone. I only found this via a downloadable pdf file I came across.

Within a day of so the phone price had also decreased by €50 which I was disappointed with. I was told by a sales adviser that prices were subject to change and nothing could be done!

5) In light of all the above I decided to exercise my right to cancel the whole order well within my cooling off period which I did on Monday 19th September 2016. I did this via their cancellations department and was assured that cancellation had gone through and a ‘jiffy bag’ would be sent out to pick up the iPhone (which I had opened and used - but I was again assured this wouldn’t be a problem).

As of October 4th 2016 this still isn’t cancelled and I am now being charged.

6) On 22nd September 2016 I got a phone call from the technician who was due to come and fit my new modem the next day. I informed them that my order was cancelled and I didn’t need them.

7) Just after 9am on 23rd September 2016 my broadband ceased working. I rang my provider SKY who informed me that eir had taken procession of the line and in due course would also transfer my home phone.

I rang eir customer support to find out why this had happened and found the order hadn’t been cancelled. The order was then cancelled for a second time and I was advised to ‘port’ my mobile number to a new provider as soon as possible otherwise I would loose that number.
    I drove straight to **** (30 mins from home) and went into the eir/meteor shop.

6) I spent 90 minutes in the shop with a sales assistant who tried to sort things out for me. He really was excellent in his efforts. We transferred the number to meteor which I was assured would port within 24 hours. He also cancelled the entire order via his system and via customer care. I left reasonably content.

7) As of Monday 26th September 2016 nothing had been cancelled.

My eir to Meteor port didn't go through. I rang Meteor who said it hadn’t been put through, they re-ported it and I wait to see if it finally removes itself from eir. It didn't! As of 4th October 2016 I am still with eir who won't release the number.

After a week no ‘jiffy bag’ has arrived to pick up my the phone but the Meteor store said they generally don’t take back iPhones (I may well be charged for this as it’s opened!).

8) Monday 26th September 2016 complained with eir via their online mechanism.

9) Tuesday 27th September 2016 cancellation processed again via eir store in Navan.

The ‘jiffy bag’ finally arrived and the phone was returned to eir. I have heard nothing since from eir.

As of 4th October 2016 nothing has been cancelled or resolved and in my mind it is not likely to be. I really don’t know where I stand. I have tried to be patient but after numerous phone calls, being pushed from post to pillar, numerous broken promises and car journeys to the shop I have really no choice but to engage COMREG.

AVOID THIS COMPANY
    eir have been a nightmare to deal with and I cannot see an end in sight to this process any time soon.

* Just had a call from the eir shop who are brilliant and despite all their best efforts - eir have refused to cancel down my order!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

craigmcc wrote: »

1) On Friday 9th September 2016 I placed an online order to switch my home phone, broadband and mobile provider to eir. As part of the package I ordered a new iPhone 6 at a cost of €149. I went through all the steps online and when I processed the payment the eir website crashed. I rang the sales department and was assured the order wouldn’t go through. I checked my credit card statement on the 12th September 2016 and I was indeed charged €149.

I have tried and tried via phones calls and emails to have this resolved, I have sent screen shots with purchase references etc… to eir and despite my best efforts eir have not returned my money. As of 4th October 2016 there has been no resolution.

2) After the website crashed I put a second order in for a bundled home phone, broadband and mobile package (18 month contract) and paid another €149 for an iPhone 6 as part of my order which has also been charged.

I also understood that as part of a September deal I would be entitled to €100 cash back.

3) When I got my broadband/phone/mobile order confirmation eir had also included the TV option which I didn’t order. I rang the customer care and they said it was better for me to take the whole bundle. While not entirely happy or convinced I let them proceed.

4) After a delay (I had to make several calls to customer care) my phone arrived and I transferred my number to eir. Very quickly I was unhappy with a number of things: Despite getting 4G on Meteor (who essentially are eir) whom I transferred from, eir mobile data speed never got above 3G or H+. In the few weeks it has been on eir it has never picked up 4G anywhere I’ve been including Dublin. The sales person in the eir shop told me ‘off the record’ that this was probably because eir was a secondary carrier on the Meteor network.

I also discovered that the mobile contact was for 24 months not 18 months as advertised. I only found this out by chance via the ‘My Eir’ app on my phone.

A second chance discovery (via numerous clicks a number of screens on) also annoyed me - the promised €100 cashback was only for the first 500 customers not for everyone. I only found this via a downloadable pdf file I came across.

Within a day of so the phone price had also decreased by €50 which I was disappointed with. I was told by a sales adviser that prices were subject to change and nothing could be done!

5) In light of all the above I decided to exercise my right to cancel the whole order well within my cooling off period which I did on Monday 19th September 2016. I did this via their cancellations department and was assured that cancellation had gone through and a ‘jiffy bag’ would be sent out to pick up the iPhone (which I had opened and used - but I was again assured this wouldn’t be a problem).

6) On 22nd September 2016 I got a phone call from the technician who was due to come and fit my new modem the next day. I informed them that my order was cancelled and I didn’t need them.

7) Just after 9am on 23rd September 2016 my broadband ceased working. I rang my provider SKY who informed me that eir had taken procession of the line and in due course would also transfer my home phone.

I rang eir customer support to find out why this had happened and found the order hadn’t been cancelled. The order was then cancelled for a second time and I was advised to ‘port’ my mobile number to a new provider as soon as possible otherwise I would loose that number.
    I drove straight to Navan (30 mins from home) and went into the eir/meteor shop.

6) I spent 90 minutes in the shop with a sales assistant who tried to sort things out for me. He really was excellent in his efforts. We transferred the number to meteor which I was assured would port within 24 hours. He also cancelled the entire order via his system and via customer care. I left reasonably content.

My eir to Meteor port didn't go through. I rang Meteor who said it hadn’t been put through, they re-ported it and I wait to see if it finally removes itself from eir. It didn't! As of 4th October 2016 I am still with eir who won't release the number.

After a week no ‘jiffy bag’ has arrived to pick up my the phone but the Meteor store said they generally don’t take back iPhones (I may well be charged for this as it’s opened!).

9) Tuesday 27th September 2016 cancellation processed again via eir store in Navan.

The ‘jiffy bag’ finally arrived and the phone was returned to eir. I have heard nothing since from eir.

As of 4th October 2016 nothing has been cancelled or resolved and in my mind it is not likely to be. I really don’t know where I stand. I have tried to be patient but after numerous phone calls, being pushed from post to pillar, numerous broken promises and car journeys to the shop I have really no choice but to engage COMREG.

AVOID THIS COMPANY
    eir have been a nightmare to deal with and I cannot see an end in sight to this process any time soon.

* Just had a call from the eir shop who are brilliant and despite all their best efforts - eir have refused to cancel down my order!
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]craigmcc,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm so sorry to hear of your experience to date and the issues you have experienced since joining eir.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]The settings on the phone, sim card and location could all of been factors why you could not connect to the 4G service. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]eir and Meteor run off the same network and there is no prioritisation amongst customers. If you can advise of the store I will be sure to follow this up as this information is incorrect. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Can you PM me the account number and I will take a look into this.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]-Thanks, Pamela[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭swoofer

I share your pain,  you really need to raise an official complaint ie in writing by email to eir and copy in COMREG.   The email for complaints re eir is hidden amongst the term and conditions, the email for comreg is on their website, I think it says consumer etc.  You need to cancel DD etc as well.

Also, here's a tip, always contact eir via chat as then after the chat you can have the transcript emailed to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 clarkkent1234

I drove straight to **** (30 mins from home) and went into the eir/meteor shop.

AVOID THIS COMPANY

Believe me I know how you feel. You have 2 options, one is contact COMREG in relation to it. This is probably the easier route or secondly take a small claim in your local district court. Most small claim clerks will try and resolve the matter out of court for you. It's 25 euro for a small claim, you can put for the contract to be cancelled and a refund of your money up to a max of 2000 euro. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Abcd1

Hi Craigmcc ,

Can I ask if you got your €149 for the order that crashed returned to you yet. As same thing happened to me €199 was taken for an s6 but the order crashed and never went through but my money was taken. This was in August and I'm yet to get it back because I've no reference number no one can find me when I ring. Complete joke when a company like Eir can take money from your account for nothing and not return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭craigmcc

EIR sorted nothing out despite many hours of my efforts.

COMREG sorted out my wider issues with Eir.

As to my €149 I had to go to my Credit Card company and lodge a transaction dispute and got the money charged back to me fairly quickly.

Ring your bank/credit card company and theyll explain what you need to do. They for example can give you a unique transaction reference for your purchase which went through. Eir wont sort it but you have to show to the bank/credit card company youve tried to sort it out with Eir first.

Eir by a huge distance are the worst company I have ever dealt with.

Gone back to Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Jimllfixit

As to my €149 I had to go to my Credit Card company and lodge a transaction dispute and got the money charged back to me fairly quickly.

Ring your bank/credit card company and theyll explain what you need to do. They for example can give you a unique transaction reference for your purchase which went through. Eir wont sort it but you have to show to the bank/credit card company youve tried to sort it out with Eir first.

Gone back to Sky.

Hi Craig,

And I thought I was having a hard time having spent 100+ hours in the last 8 months, between 1901, posting back duplicate routers, being here for technicians to get access, chats, and emails to get my broadband service re-instated. Luckily I am retired!

A few more tips (IMHO):

(1) It's a waste of time sending them emails via the complaints form. You get a copy-and-paste reply with your name at the top, and nothing gets done.

(2) If you're on 1901 and they tell you to hold, start a timer, and hang up if they take longer than 3 minutes. That's the time it takes to wander over to their coffee machine and back.

(3) If you don't get an answer on chat immediately, hang up if they take longer than 1 minute to start typing. (See (2) above)

(4) The only time EIR got pro-active was when I wrote a hard-copy letter threatening to leave EIR and sent it by snail mail to

Attn: Ms Catherine Lonergan
    Customer Management
    EIR Ltd
    1, Heuston South Quarter
    St John’s Road
    Dublin 8

- she didn't actually reply, but a sales rep phoned up the very next day, very concerned to stop me leaving EIR, and my next bill acquired some mysterious credits that I never enquired about.

For a company that is tasked with the job of providing the State with telecoms, a vital national necessity, it doesn't look great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Jimllfixit wrote: »

Gone back to Sky.

Hi Craig,

And I thought I was having a hard time having spent 100+ hours in the last 8 months, between 1901, posting back duplicate routers, being here for technicians to get access, chats, and emails to get my broadband service re-instated. Luckily I am retired!

A few more tips (IMHO):

(1)  It's a waste of time sending them emails via the complaints form. You get a copy-and-paste reply with your name at the top, and nothing gets done.

(2) If you're on 1901 and they tell you to hold, start a timer, and hang up if they take longer than 3 minutes. That's the time it takes to wander over to their coffee machine and back.

(3) If you don't get an answer on chat immediately, hang up if they take longer than 1 minute to start typing. (See (2) above)

(4) The only time EIR got pro-active was when I wrote a hard-copy letter threatening to leave EIR and sent it by snail mail to

Attn: Ms Catherine Lonergan
    Customer Management
    EIR Ltd
    1, Heuston South Quarter
    St John’s Road
    Dublin 8

- she didn't actually reply, but a sales rep phoned up the very next day, very concerned to stop me leaving EIR, and my next bill acquired some mysterious credits that I never enquired about.

For a company that is tasked with the job of providing the State with telecoms, a vital national necessity, it doesn't look great.
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]Jimllfixit,[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]You left me a visitor message & I have sent you a PM in relation to this.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]-Pamela [/font]

Advertisement