Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a WII U

• 04-10-2016 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

New to all this so please bear with me. The prices of these consoles vary quite a bit from 300 in argos to 340 in smyths, although i think there is an extra game in smyths. I'll be going to the UK soon and was wondering could i buy one over there. They are a few places selling them between 240-250 GBP, which works out a bit cheaper with the current exchange rate. Anyone any experience buying abroad? Do you know if i bought in smyths or tesco over there could i return it over here if need be? Would the prices above be the normal price you would expect to pay?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Nintendo Wii U Mario Kart 8 Premium ( pre-installed ) on WII U is £230 at Shopto.net. They will ship it to Ireland. Shipping is £11.63. That's €276. You can save some money on postage by using Parcel Motel or Address Pal.

http://www.shopto.net/video-games/wiiu/WIIUHW90-nintendo-wii-u-mario-kart-8-premium-preinstalled-

The consoles are the exact same as here. I've never bought hardware from online retailers but I've bought loads of games from Shopto and they're very reliable.

Nintendo Wii U 32GB Xenoblade Premium Pack - Black (Includes Exclusive Artbook and World Map) is £245 on Amazon with free delivery to Ireland.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-32GB-Xenoblade-Premium-Pack/dp/B017D2IBMG/

Keep an eye on Adverts, Donedeal and Ebay too for secondhand deals, preferably one with a receipt. There can be good deals there but also some chancers with unrealistic price expectations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A couple of cheap ones have popped up on Adverts lately.
    I'd say you'll get a console with a game or two for around €200 if you're patient

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭webpal

ok thanks. Whats the relevance of a receipt? For warranty purposes?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yup
    A console with a receipt and some of the 12 month warranty is great.
    But...
    The WiiU has, thus far, been quite robust, with fee reliability issues emerging, especially when compared to Sony and MS efforts.
    A preowned WiiU is unlikely to be at particular risk of failure, tbh.
    Just see it working, not just turned on but reading a disk too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

webpal wrote: »
    ok thanks. Whats the relevance of a receipt? For warranty purposes?

Yes. And sometimes even when the warranty has expired Nintendo won't charge you for repairs as long as you provide the receipt. Like I remember getting the laser on my Wii replaced because it couldn't read dual layered discs and the warranty was out of date. Just sent the receipt with the console and they repaired it for free. That's another story though .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

At this point wouldn't you be better to wait till the end of november for Black Friday / Cyber Monday / Tuesday of Doom or whatever? The NX will (possibly) have been revealed so people will be motivated to offload Wii U stock as well as having that general pressure to discount electronics for the weekend that's in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭webpal

a valid point, thanks

webpal wrote: »
    a valid point, thanks

On the contrary, no one has ever seen Banjo's point.
    He keeps it covered and in darkness at all times, for fear that lady folk would swoon at the very sight of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

They always swoon. The pharmaceuticals in the Jesus juice see to that.

If we could just put my "point" to one side for a minute (its more comfortable that way), keep an eye out for 10 euro Wii consoles in Tesco. Cheapest way to buy a wiimote and nunchuck!

Advertisement