Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steering vibration after DOE

• 04-10-2016 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Looking for some ideas here lads.

The van was in for the DOE yesterday (06 Primastar) and now there's a bad vibration when turning at low revs. 2,000 RPM or more and the steering is normal.

Power steering fluid level iis fine so I'm guessing the pump is on the way out. Steering was fine driving in and I noticed it pulling out of their carpark and it's pretty bad.

Any other ideas other than a knackered pump? Could the belt be slipping? It's not making any noise so I need to have a good poke around.

What could the DOE tester have done to cause this to come on so suddenly?
    Van failed on 1 ball joint.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I would have gone back to them immediately as it will be hard to prove it happened during the test. In saying that though the idea is for them to stress test the van to highlight any faults or potential faults.

It could be just something the tester missed.
    They could just say it was (whatever is causing the problem) they forgot to include it in the report.

Maybe clutch / flywheel related? a ball joint wouldn't cause vibrations just a lot of knocking over uneven ground and ramps etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Corbally

Not clutch or flywheel, it,s def steering related. Happens if the van is stopped and I move the wheel or if I'm coasting or driving at low revs.
    I was thinking of going back but then thought what's the point? They won't fix anything they break but I'm trying to figure out what he did to cause it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Could also be just coincidence that it happened now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Could also be just coincidence that it happened now.

Don't be coming around here talking sense!

It's obviously someone's fault. He drove the van down a test Lane and used a pry bar and torch. One of them has to have caused it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 wmMagner

hi, i have a 2006 ford transit, i've put it through 5 DOE's and the first 3 i had the same problem.
    i thought it was from the tester locking the steering fast during the test and maybe it had air in the system somehow.it dissapeared after a couple of hours of driving.
    anyway, sometime after the third DOE i heard a squeaking noise. i thought it was the belt but it was the bearings gone in the idler pulley.
    when i brought it to my mechanic, he said the PAS pump was on its way out. when i spun the pump pulley it was like a wheel with a warped brake disc.
    he said the pump was putting extra stress on the other pulleys.
    got a new PAS pump and no rumble from the steering on the last 2 DOE's.

if you can take the belt off and give the pump a turn it might give you a better idea of whats going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

my last 2 berlingo suffer with this.
    the dealer went back to Citroen about it.
    they said it was caused when the van was lifted and the weight taken off the wheels an suspension . he said it has something got to do with the joints bedding back in 100 %

he told me that what Citroen recommends is to go around to each corner and push down on the corner to compress the suspension . this will help seat what ever it is properly.
    I have done it and it works

Advertisement