Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How has health & fitness negatively impacted your life?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Zillah wrote: »
    Are you sure you're doing it right...?
    No, I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Mainly its just a time problem.
    Spending 5 hours a week in the gym. Imagine the amount of tv i could have watched over the years!! haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

I got concussion going for max reps on Deadlifts. It wasn't all that high in the big scheme of things (167 ish x 7 or 9 give or take) but my body was still adjusting to the heavier weights and it was a shock to the system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Good topic ,

I guess for me fitness is both a positive and a negitive thing , on the plus side I love the objectives it sets not only in the gym but in general life as well , it keeps me organised and motivated throughout the week.

On the clothes I have lots of them ranging from XS to Large for differant stages so that doesn't bother me too much!

I suppose the temptation to give in is something we all face , peer pressure , binge drinking , nights out , pizza!=) but I always have the ame answer for people if it was easy everyone would be in top shape! It's not easy (Says the man with a jack daniels in his hand after a **** day in work) but still counted into the days calories!

The only other thing really is the comments but that doesn't really bother me either you'll always get them , I reckon it's just people that wish they had your dedication (And probably your body too)..

'YOUR on a diet?? You don't have any fat to lose'

What you consider fat to lose and what I consider fat to lose are to extremely differant things!!

Over the years thinking about it , a couple of my friends that are 'bigger in the waist say' have become distant from me when were hanging out/out I don't really know why , but I gues I'd be the one always taking it handy when their drinking/eating their arse off and they didn't like that...I was never one to comment on other people and talk about what I'm doing myself to piss anyone off but look...that's life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I got concussion going for max reps on Deadlifts. It wasn't all that high in the big scheme of things (167 ish x 7 or 9 give or take) but my body was still adjusting to the heavier weights and it was a shock to the system

lol, eijit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

lol, eijit

Oh that's waaay down the scale of daft ways I've had my bell rung. On a slightly more sober note it reminded me of a conversation I had when picking my brother up from boxing:

Me: How was training?
    Brother: I got knocked out
    Me: Wow! what was that like?!
    Brother:................ Ive no idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Oh that's waaay down the scale of daft ways I've had my bell rung. On a slightly more sober note it reminded me of a conversation I had when picking my brother up from boxing:

Me: How was training?
    Brother: I got knocked out
    Me: Wow! what was that like?!
    Brother:................ Ive no idea

How do you know you got a concussion?
    Serious question, I've no idea how you'd tell. I'm wondering now if I've ever been concussed and not realised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mellor wrote: »
    Serious question, I've no idea how you'd tell. I'm wondering now if I've ever been concussed and not realised.

Never concussed myself, but a friend of mine realised something was wrong about 3 days after a heavy sparring session. He was extremely depressed, irritable and memory was shot. The example he gave was he would put on two slices of toast and forget about them. A few minutes later he would think "hmm, I feel like having some toast", go to the toaster and find some cold toast there and never remember doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Physio costs. You don't have to bother with it when you sit on your arse all day. But try and get fit and you're in there constantly. I must have spent about a thousand euro on my feet alone after a bit of running didn't work out for me. Operations to fix all the busted ligaments in my knee after a sporty fall. More physio. Special shoes. My joints are ****ed from weight lifting. A fortune in supplements. Now I've arthritis on one side.

I'm still not fit but I'm in bits. And poor.

Exercise is bad for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Serious question.

When you are in a GAA dressing room after a senior county semi final against bitter neighbours and you manage to get your hands on the one bottle of shampoo being used to clean 18 filthy players, and you ask what it is; like I may or not use it...

The penny dropped to ask for help when I asked what score was. Manager looked at video afterwards and I got knee in head after about 15mins but told physio to fcuk off when she came in to help me. Seemingly I played well

Second time was scary/weird. Clash of heads with team mate and when being driven to hospital with manager and team mate after game I had no idea who either of them were (I knew both for circa 10 years). I was in back seat and contemplating whether fight or flight was best option..

Tiredness/fatigue for about a week after are what I remember.

I took a big spill while wakeboarding.

Swam to shore and sat down. I knew where i was and that i was wakeboarding, but i had no idea how i got there or who i was with.

The friends i came with walked over to me and in one sense i recognized them but at the same time i had no idea who they were or what their names were.

Lasted about 20 minutes.

I managed to put 2+2 together, wakeboarding + fall = bell rung. So i didnt panic and just relaxed for a while and it all came back to me. Mild headache for the rest of the day and a bit tired for the next two days.

Odd experience though.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Only major issue i have with clothes is with Shirts when wearing a tie, i need a 17.5 inch neck in order to be able to be comfortable with the top button closed but even the slim fitting shirts are just way too baggy and long around the stomach and waist at that size

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    Only major issue i have with clothes is with Shirts when wearing a tie, i need a 17.5 inch neck in order to be able to be comfortable with the top button closed but even the slim fitting shirts are just way too baggy and long around the stomach and waist at that size

Its pretty cheap and quick to get shirts adjusted. The highest cost id expect to pay would be 10-12, but if you shop around you will find cheaper and if you have a number of shirts you might be able to haggle a deal.
    Call around a few tailors and ask for quotes to take in a **** to taper from chest to waist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

I have to eat more to get into my winter wetsuit,my weight drops a stone during the spring summer and rises from the autumn into the winter.
    About a half stone each way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It's a big time commitment, which does (or could) negatively impact on family life (and work at times if I'm tired, but that's not really important!).

Clothes wise, it's been several new wardrobes at this stage. Main bug bear for me is that the tops/ shirts/ polo's that fit me width wise can be quite short, as I've a long body in proportion to my height!

Food wise, I'd actually say it's an overall saving compared to the bad old days. Grocery shop has gone up, but because that means making more food especially lunches, the overall food bill has gone down, as not as much shop brought sambos/ wraps/ crisps/ sweets/ fizzies/ takeaways/ beers etc. That's even with a slightly unhealthy taste for ridiculously expensive quest and fulfil protein bars!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I took a big spill while wakeboarding.

Swam to shore and sat down. I knew where i was and that i was wakeboarding, but i had no idea how i got there or who i was with.

The friends i came with walked over to me and in one sense i recognized them but at the same time i had no idea who they were or what their names were.

Lasted about 20 minutes.

I managed to put 2+2 together, wakeboarding + fall = bell rung. So i didnt panic and just relaxed for a while and it all came back to me. Mind headache for the rest of the day and a bit tired for the next two days.

Odd experience though.

Yeah, I had something like that but didn't give it a name until I was told it had probably been a concussion.

Only had the bare 11 for an important match - keeper goes off injured 5 minutes in and I went in goals. 10 mins later, the ball is played through, I come out and get to it first. Yer man clocks me with either his shoulder flush in the cheek. I remember getting up. That's all I remember of the match. Headache for a couple of days, tired as well and i was told i looked perma-dazed during the match. No recollection of the match though.

ford2600 wrote: »
    Manager looked at video afterwards and I got knee in head after about 15mins but told physio to fcuk off when she came in to help me.

This is where it gets really dangerous. The first hit isn't so bad because you've a layer of fluid around your brain that acts as padding. After the first hit the brain swells a little, and can be very close to or actually in contact with the skull. If you take a second hit you can get real brain damage.
    But try and get fit and you're in there constantly. I must have spent about a thousand euro on my feet alone after a bit of running didn't work out for me.

I really think some people have to be going about this all wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Training to exhaustion just to get really fit.Im guilty of this previously.For some reason just wanted to get insanely fit and strong.Trained for 6 days a week,passed on nights out and ate ridiculously clean for about 6 weeks.Got in super shape but sat back and asked myself why the fcuk I did that.I missed out on good nights,was irritable all the time and generally fatigued.I was in great shape but for what??

I think it may have been a period of OCD.I still train good and am in good shape but nowhere near at the intensity as before.

Ive realised to exercise more moderately and not pass up on life and social events just to be fit for myself.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Regular shirts now accommodate a giant beer belly. Even so-called "slimfit" shirts make room for a moderate beer belly. Get the small size you say? Too small everywhere else. Apparently the average man is now a dumpy potato with tiny arms, and I never noticed how much the trend had gone that way until after I bulked up.

I'm thinking of shelling out for some tailored shirts. I've been getting custom-fit jeans from India for years because I'm so tall. Had to dump one of the older pairs because the thighs no longer fit.

So clothes, mostly.

You should give father and sons clothing a shot for a shirt, Find they fit great if you're more athletic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Kinda thought I was in half-decent shape til I read this thread... but the fact I can wear skinny jeans and buy off-the-rack tshirts presumably means I'm either a skinny or a fat w*nker! :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

whippet wrote: »
    my problem is about 3 stone in weight shifted and having to purchase a whole new wardrobe ...

Yeah, I've had to do this a few times. Bittersweet really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

The injuries and not being able to train while injured and how that affects your headspace.

I've recently had a grade two calf tear and have a torn meniscus - both in right leg and to cap it off I have been told I have arthritis in all three compartments of that right knee.

The clothes thing is an issue for sure.
    Shirts and polo shirts in particular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Kinda thought I was in half-decent shape til I read this thread... but the fact I can wear skinny jeans and buy off-the-rack tshirts presumably means I'm either a skinny or a fat w*nker! :(

I was going to make a similar post!.

I weighed in at 119kg for a Judo competition last Sunday so I'm not a small guy by a long shot & can still purchase all my clothes off the peg absolutely no bother (well tops are XXL).

Seems we're in a thread full of freaks :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

WHIP IT! wrote: »

Guarantee everyone who's had those complaints in this thread shops at places like Topman etc that make clothes for really skinny people. Before I started lifting, I got all my t-shirts there. Once my shoulders got slightly bigger, their t-shirts were a no go for me. Now I just buy normal t-shirts that aren't tailored for the overly thin (which I was, in fairness).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

for me as a girl:
    having to wash my hair and straighten it every day coz i still sweat so much even though im not fat anymore
    dealing with red face for a solid two hours after a tough workout
    people feeling like they can tell me how fat i used to be now that im not anymore
    people telling me i need to stop losing weight because THEY were more comfortable when I was 20 stone
    people asking me ''are you sure you can eat that'' yes one burger will not make me 20 stone again
    the cost-food is more expensive now that i prep and cook every meal myself and dont rely on pick and mix as a lunch
    im actually more critical of my body now.. go figure, didnt care when i was 20 stone now i pick it apart...
    fear of gaining the weight back
    saggy stomach, need skin surgery on my arms, legs thank **** are grand but arms are hidious.
    not friends with some of the same people, discovered to some people i was the girl youd call over to for a movie and a binge coz id always eat whatever... and one girl isnt my friend anymore coz ''ive changed'' how dare i have self esteem now, shes still very over weight and we used be super lazy together.. just becuase i wont get a massive chinese and down a tub if ben and jerrys with you doesnt mean we cant be friends... i just dont eat that **** now... i still have treats but no more chinese takeaways.
    im not broke from slipping my hot ass into all those clothes in Zara i always loved but couldnt fit into, BUY ALL THE CLOTHES!
    (sorry this is actaully turned into a rant, i guess ive kept most of that in the past two years... opppssss)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Guarantee everyone who's had those complaints in this thread shops at places like Topman etc that make clothes for really skinny people. Before I started lifting, I got all my t-shirts there. Once my shoulders got slightly bigger, their t-shirts were a no go for me. Now I just buy normal t-shirts that aren't tailored for the overly thin (which I was, in fairness).

Gonna go with "No" on this one.

I agree with a previous poster who stated that some clothing companies make their XL and XXL clothes with a built in "belly pouch".
    These tops fit me around the shoulders but then hang off me like a moo moo.

I've genuinely had to start buying XXL "slim fit" shirts to avoid this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

The time.

I train up to 15 hours pw and that in itself is considerable. Factor in prepping, clothes washing, and the never ending food prep and cook, the amount of recovery required, alongside my job, it becomes a big time sink.

A night out or a day away needs to be pencilled in, spontaneity is a thing of the past.

But tbf, I like the routine, I enjoy being much more productive relatively, and I'm fit as ****, hitting targets and grafting.

I've thousands of hours of TV to look forward to as well, sometime!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

Hanley wrote: »
    Tbh, I think most people are talking ****.

I can wear skinny fit pants from H&M that fit well, and most shirts hug in the right places. I think in their head, people WANT to be too big for clothes.

..or just do a really bad job shopping for em.

This lad zillah is coping so hard typical gymcel compensating, lean fit 11 to 13 per cent bf is all you need, you look lik a try hard coper otherwise
    Just be fit and lean theory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I think for me, it's that I feel that I have to exercise and I feel guilty if I don't. Today I worked 8-5 and was feeling under the weather, I did Insanity straight after work and then went to the gym for an hour. I was away at the weekend so couldn't do any exercise/gym work, so felt the need that I had to make up for it today.
    Then there's the whole aspect of what I'm trying to acheive, I enjoy being fit and strong and it benefits me for the team I play soccer with but sometimes it just seems like such hard work for gains that no one else can appreciate but me.

I will say on the flipside, that because am I so active, that I have zero guilt about the foods I eat and I do feel good about how I look etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

The time.

I train up to 15 hours pw and that in itself is considerable. Factor in prepping, clothes washing, and the never ending food prep and cook, the amount of recovery required, alongside my job, it becomes a big time sink.

A night out or a day away needs to be pencilled in, spontaneity is a thing of the past.

But tbf, I like the routine, I enjoy being much more productive relatively, and I'm fit as ****, hitting targets and grafting.

I've thousands of hours of TV to look forward to as well, sometime!

Eh are you a semi professional???? What are you doing 15 hours a week? I'm nosey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

BabyE wrote: »
    This lad zillah is coping so hard typical gymcel compensating, lean fit 11 to 13 per cent bf is all you need, you look lik a try hard coper otherwise
    Just be fit and lean theory

What!? :confused:

Despite being scourged with injuries after many years trying I'd have to dig in deep to really find anything negative.

I've osteoarthritis in just about all the joints in my fingers. I'm rehab'ing a grade III pec tear, I've had broken ribs, ankle and various sprains/soft tissue injury to just about my whole body.

When I get up in the morning I walk down the stairs like a fecking crap ~ sideways and feeling like I should be on all fours.

I'm forever being told I'm too old to do what I do, but I was being told that twenty years ago too and thankfully I've ignored it each and every time.

I no longer keep a training log, a habit I wish I'd kept up. But I train between ten and fifteen hours a week between Judo/BJJ, weights, swimming and cycling.

Despite all the injuries, ailments and advice from the ignorant I'm still a competitive Judoka (Judo fighter) at 50 years old :) ~ and confident that I'll still be fighting at 60!.

I'm probably one of the oldest in this forum (please someone tell me they're older than me) and training the longest. If I could give anyone advice it would be to keep active, regardless of what hurdles life throws your way ~ stay active, Be selfish with your time!.. Your hour a day in the gym, cycling etc should always stay YOUR time ~ there's nothing wrong with being selfish about that because time lost is very hard to take back.

When you've reached 50 and you're more active than just about all your friends and family then all the fecking injuries, money spent on physio's, time in casts, crutches etc will all have been worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm 4ft 10 inches so my problems have been at both ends of the scale. When I was fat, I could only by crappy clothes that were too long for me because I had to buy bigger sizes. Now that I've lost 2 and a half stone I'm finding it hard to find clothes coz petite sections are pathetic! I tried on a size 6 blouse that was too big. :eek:

I can shop in the children's section but that only works for sports clothes. On the plus size, children's clothes are cheaper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

@Makikomi - I have to admit, it did make me a touch sad to read that...

I don't really think you should just be accepting that it's normal to be in such pain and discomfort at your age! (Although sadly it is far too common)

A relative of mine that has lived in France for the last 20+ years, and is in his mid 60's, always tells me that his body is getting better with age! lol (bit of an exaggeration, I'm sure, but he does appear to be remarkably pain/injury free and very fit)

Maybe there is a touch of luck or genetics in it? Or maybe some people can better gauge if their body is giving them signals when injury is about to occur...?

I've never really suffered from injuries tbh. I did suffer a bout of overtraining a few years back though... That was a very tough lesson.

I think I was compelled to find my own breaking point... For actual confirmation that I had one! :D

Strangely enough, while I don't want to experience that again... I don't view it as a mistake. Now when I train very hard, I have a better understanding of what that actually means - because I know what it means to train TOO hard.

Personally, I think you should view pain & illness etc, as a red flag that you are perhaps doing something wrong in your training! (And try your best to correct that if you can)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

@Makikomi - I have to admit, it did make me a touch sad to read that...

I don't really think you should just be accepting that it's normal to be in such pain and discomfort at your age! (Although sadly it is far too common)

A relative of mine that has lived in France for the last 20+ years, and is in his mid 60's, always tells me that his body is getting better with age! lol (bit of an exaggeration, I'm sure, but he does appear to be remarkably pain/injury free and very fit)

Maybe there is a touch of luck or genetics in it? Or maybe some people can better gauge if their body is giving them signals when injury is about to occur...?

I've never really suffered from injuries tbh. I did suffer a bout of overtraining a few years back though... That was a very tough lesson.

I think I was compelled to find my own breaking point... For actual confirmation that I had one! :D

Strangely enough, while I don't want to experience that again... I don't view it as a mistake. Now when I train very hard, I have a better understanding of what that actually means - because I know what it means to train TOO hard.

Personally, I think you should view pain & illness etc, as a red flag that you are perhaps doing something wrong in your training! (And try your best to correct that if you can)

It's different for him.

The dudes a black belt judoka - he's been grabbing people and getting f*cked to the ground for the last 30+ years. You don't walk away from that without being seriously messed up.

It's essentially a professional sport at that level (with regards to training requirements etc). It's definitely not a health pursuit.

I guess what I'm saying, and not speaking for Mak here, he's well capable of that himeself, is that if he wanted to be "healthy" at 50+ I'm sure he'd have trained differently thru his life.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    What!? :confused:

Right there with you, buddy.

I think he thinks I am gigantic? Which I am not. It's odd that no matter how many times in this thread that people complaining about shirts explain that it is a question of shoulders:waist ratio rather than being able to fit into them at all, people still act like we're saying we can't find anything big enough.

It's not about size, it's about shape.

When you've reached 50 and you're more active than just about all your friends and family then all the fecking injuries, money spent on physio's, time in casts, crutches etc will all have been worth it.

Are you sure those injuries are part and parcel, though? I would have thought a more gentle, consistent regime would be more helpful. There are plenty of people at 50 who are active and healthy who don't have a laundry list of injuries, and who don't crawl down the stairs in the morning.

EDIT: Oh right, the martial arts is probably where most of the injuries are from?

Lol, Makikomi what where you thinking. Ruining your body over a silly cotton belt. You could have been riding a bicycle and eating baguettes.

I won't multi quote if people don't mind.

Someone said they're sad for me, don't be.. And don't confuse injuries for 'bad health', luckily I'm in the defence forces so I've a full medical annually including full bloods, ECG, eyes and hearing ~ as the man says I'm in the full of my health :)

Injuries, well now here's were users of this forum and others like it are spoilt.

[/Oldman hat time] Back in my day :p you didn't have internet forum like this, with people I'd consider experts in their field like Hanley giving out free advice. And very good free advice too.

No, you went to Easons and bought Muscle Mag or whatever muscle/fitness magazine cover grabbed your attention and tried to follow the advice there. Or you learned through trial and error in the gym.

Now you have all the knowledge in the universal in your pocket, use it wisely.

[Old man hat off now]

What I'm saying is had I this knowledge at my finger tips free of charge I very much doubt I'd be carrying as many injuries ~ so train intelligently.

The Judo, well that doesn't help lol. But feck it I love it. I love that beat up feeling the next day. Zillah I think you're a cyclist too?.. You know that feeling you have after a tough sportive. You've dragged your ass & bike over a few tough climbs, and that feeling that evening and the next day when your body is crying for food because its still buzzing?.. I'm addicted to that feeling!.

I think anyone who trains or competes at a high level can identify with it.

So there ya go, apart from a waistline which should be thinner than it is (I can put on the pounds frighteningly quick) I'm in great health, I just can't walk down the stairs :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭COH

When I grow up I want to be Makikomi :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I've gotta double up on the injuries and then the guilt of not training while you're injured.
    In the past 18 months I've had broken arms, damaged ligament, bumps, bruises and I'm currently out of action with lower back pain. Now the back pain in from a work accident but it's driving me mad. I was hobbling around in training shorts all ready to go do some grappling when I had to slap myself and just lay down.
    I hate sitting still lately. :/

I'm on a good run at the minute too, closer than ever to meeting my fat loss goals and now I'm just chained to my bed, couldn't even go to work.

So injuries and guilt.
    Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 WizVigilante

I developed a benign heart condition, supra-ventricular tachycardia, from/while exercising. I was doing a "heavy" set of squats and my heart rate never went down. Went to the ER, consulted with a cardiologist, was prescribed calcium channel blockers that made it worse, had an echo cardiogram and holter monitor. It was benign, healthy sinus rhythm but my heart would spike to 160-180 every 3 or 4 minutes. It took me weeks to get used to it and then after 6 months it just disappeared. No long term issues but that was a scary few weeks. Alternative probably would have been remaining entirely sedentary and overweight for the rest of my life and having a full blown heart attack at 50 so not a bad outcome all things considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

The 1000's I've had to spend on physio because of an injury that could have been avoided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

My wife's threatening to kill me over the smount of kit I have in the house, also my 2 boys have started showing an interest now so it's dumbells and plates everywhere, not sure if it counts lol.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

bladespin wrote: »
    My wife's threatening to kill me over the smount of kit I have in the house, also my 2 boys have started showing an interest now so it's dumbells and plates everywhere, not sure if it counts lol.

My son also trains Judo and whilst I have no one breaking my balls over it if I had she'd be pulling her hair out in lumps at the sight of my extention ~ apart from Judo suits everywhere, I've also two bicycles and all my motorbike gear too.. Somewhere there's a suit of furniture lol.. Then you go out to my back garden and its kettlebells and a TRX hanging from a wall for the days I'm not in the gym or I'm just suffering cabin fever!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Oh I hear that, Ju jitsu kit spread everywhere every Saturday, thankfully Hazel likes the bikes so doesn't mind me leaving the gear out ( now and then).

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Same here, gi's, gloves, kettle bells, bands, headgear, boots, etc. Piled up in a wardrobe and where ever else I leave it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Multiple Gi's casually hanging up to dry around the house in any given day. How could anyone not like that?
    Or that my car smells like my boxing gloves and shin pads, my girlfriend is very fond of that smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Jock Rash

I developed a benign heart condition, supra-ventricular tachycardia, from/while exercising. I was doing a "heavy" set of squats and my heart rate never went down. Went to the ER, consulted with a cardiologist, was prescribed calcium channel blockers that made it worse, had an echo cardiogram and holter monitor. It was benign, healthy sinus rhythm but my heart would spike to 160-180 every 3 or 4 minutes. It took me weeks to get used to it and then after 6 months it just disappeared. No long term issues but that was a scary few weeks. Alternative probably would have been remaining entirely sedentary and overweight for the rest of my life and having a full blown heart attack at 50 so not a bad outcome all things considered.

Would this not be more a case of the exercise revealing the problem rather than causing it? It's the same case with hernias. Weight lifting doesn't cause hernias, but it can abruptly reveal one that was developing, and thereby the false causation belief was born.

• Advertisement
Advertisement