Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marine Engineering at NMCI any advice or tips on this course

Options
  • 04-10-2016 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hi, I've been reading through previous threads and can't find much info on the engineering cadetship.

I was just wondering is it straightforward getting sponsorship from a shipping company?
    Would you have to organise prior to commencing the course or is this something that is sorted during the first year?

Any help on any of this would be great.
    Thanks guys

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Unless things have changed drastically for the worse, various agencies come in and interview you for placement with companies. The best students (academically) get the better companies, only the weakest students had to go out and look for something themselves.

Work hard, show enthusiasm and you'll get on very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭osullic

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Unless things have changed drastically for the worse, various agencies come in and interview you for placement with companies. The best students (academically) get the better companies, only the weakest students had to go out and look for something themselves.

Work hard, show enthusiasm and you'll get on very well.

Just to clarify, this would take place in first year maybe after Christmas exams?
    Is that right?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

yeah, after christmas exam results come in and there's something to show ability. But word from lecturers also count for something (i.e. he/she is a good student and looks promising, sort of thing).

Just to add to this is there any issues finding employment after completing this course?

What is the age profile like on this course?

Again any help would be great.
    Thanks!

The company that has poured money into your training tend to be keen to hang on to you ;) So generally you go to sea very soon after getting your ticket. Age profile tends to be 90% school leavers and 10% mature students.

• Advertisement

Tabnabs wrote: »
    The company that has poured money into your training tend to be keen to hang on to you ;) So generally you go to sea very soon after getting your ticket. Age profile tends to be 90% school leavers and 10% mature students.
    Thanks so much for the info Tabnabs.
    I have one final question. Is there anything I can do between now and September 2017 that will enhance my chance of success?Should I do a welding course perhaps or are there some books I could get that you would recommend for the academic aspects.
    Would like to hit the ground running to ensure sponsorship.

Again any advice is much appreciated.

I'd watch videos on ship design and construction, large marine engines etc. There must be a wealth of information on youtube. Welding is a very rare thing aboard ship due to the inherent danger of fire.

If you turn up on day one with the right attitude, you're already about two months ahead of your average classmates who won't get into the groove for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mmtown

Does anyone know if we have to pay tax on the sponsorship money that we get from the shipping company while on sea placement and in final year at NMCI or can we claim tax exemption.
    I would appreciate any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

If you need to find out anything, NMCI do a number of talks around Ireland for interested students and I would recommend attending one and they'll give you all the info you need and the ability to ask questions yourself. It's generally in April, so still plenty of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭batman1

osullic wrote: »
    Hi, I've been reading through previous threads and can't find much info on the engineering cadetship.

I was just wondering is it straightforward getting sponsorship from a shipping company?
    Would you have to organise prior to commencing the course or is this something that is sorted during the first year?

Any help on any of this would be great.
    Thanks guys

Nmci have an open day coming up on 20th October. Check their website

• Advertisement
Advertisement