Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Spotify User- Help!!!?

Options
  • 04-10-2016 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Am on Vodafone Red Essentials plan and got Spotify as my choice of 'free add on app'... was choice of it or Sky Sports go.
    Have been playing around with it the last day or so.Would really appreciate answers to following...prob pure newbie questions but however:)

1.-Can you save songs or albums to then be able to listen to them later without using up data? If yes.....how do you do it?
    2.-If you can't, typically how much data does listening to a typical album use up?....I have 3 Gb free limit with my plan.
    3.- What are best features of Spotify do people think?

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,443 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Premium spotify users can stored songs locally.
    You'll see a download button by the song of playlist and they have the option of sliding it over (turns green) and it starts downloading the songs\playlist.
    Premium is a €9.99 a month option so I doubt Vodafone are giving it away for the premium version.
    The free versions are can only stream afaik.

I found spotify to be excellent and definitely better than Apple music. However the hassles of having 2 separate apps means I just cancelled and switched over to Apple music.
    You can select the quality of the music in spotify but you're still hit the 3gb limit in a week or 2 I'd say if you listen to a lot of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Blazer wrote: »
    Premium spotify users can stored songs locally.
    You'll see a download button by the song of playlist and they have the option of sliding it over (turns green) and it starts downloading the songs\playlist.
    Premium is a €9.99 a month option so I doubt Vodafone are giving it away for the premium version.
    The free versions are can only stream afaik.

I found spotify to be excellent and definitely better than Apple music. However the hassles of having 2 separate apps means I just cancelled and switched over to Apple music.
    You can select the quality of the music in spotify but you're still hit the 3gb limit in a week or 2 I'd say if you listen to a lot of music.

Thanks for reply,my Spotify seems to give that green icon option so maybe Vodafone are doing the Premium option with certain price plans?......newbie question again but 'where are any downloads stored?'......is it 'within' Spotify?
    What does it mean that songs might only be 'streamed' on normal Spotify?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I guess you are getting the premium option - otherwise anyone can just download the free app.

When you download songs, it's not like they are stored as mp3s on your phone, they are encripted, so can only be played through spotify. So, if at any time in the future this deal runs out, and you go back to being a free user you lose all the songs/playlists you downloaded.

I find spotify good for listening to new (to me) music. One tip - search for, and play playlists rather than the 'radio' feature, and the choice is often much better (handpicked, rather than generated based on algorithms)

FWIW, I went back to the free version as I do most of my listening either at home or work, both covered by Wifi, but the download is handy if you're out and about and want to listen.

noby wrote: »
    I guess you are getting the premium option - otherwise anyone can just download the free app.

When you download songs, it's not like they are stored as mp3s on your phone, they are encripted, so can only be played through spotify. So, if at any time in the future this deal runs out, and you go back to being a free user you lose all the songs/playlists you downloaded.

I find spotify good for listening to new (to me) music. One tip - search for, and play playlists rather than the 'radio' feature, and the choice is often much better (handpicked, rather than generated based on algorithms)

FWIW, I went back to the free version as I do most of my listening either at home or work, both covered by Wifi, but the download is handy if you're out and about and want to listen.

Thanks for reply....so do you use up some of your monthly data while 'downloading' and then listening to playlists do you reckon?

Or is it a case that once you have made up a playlist and then save it and listen to it ......are you doing so without using up data IYKWIM.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Yeah, do your downloading when you have access to wifi, if possible. I'm not sure how much data the downloading will use, but it would certainly be less than streaming. Once you are playing stuff you have downloaded you're not using your data.

• Advertisement

noby wrote: »
    Yeah, do your downloading when you have access to wifi, if possible. I'm not sure how much data the downloading will use, but it would certainly be less than streaming. Once you are playing stuff you have downloaded you're not using your data.

Thanks very much for your excellent reply.

Advertisement