Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fireworks!

• 04-10-2016 2:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭

As per post in photos thread of heartbroken Bailey :o fireworks season is upon us! He's come on leaps and bounds compared to what he was like when he started being afraid of fireworks (he didn't care about them until he was 4) BUT we've heard something when we were on our walk/in the park every evening for the last week and he's not happy about it so I need to work on that...

I thought we could maybe compare strategies for getting a dog more comfortable and what works/doesn't work?

What helped a LOT for us was
    - playing fireworks sounds from youtube - they had to be streamed onto the TV - otherwise he knew they were just coming from the ipad/laptop!! lol :P Before if he heard a firework on TV he'd run out of the room afraid now he's either not bothered or he might stick he head out into the hall and listen for a few mins
    - Anxiety wrap - he was between sizes in Thundershirts so I got him a Karma Wrap last year which is a much better fit for him.. Warning the first few times you put it on it's a bit confusing lol (I put it on for evening walks or if he hears something when we're home)
    - Safe places in the house he can go to when he's afraid - he likes the landing, crate in the kitchen and sometimes my bed - he'll just lie down and listen/go asleep
    - Relaxing dog music from youtube - I don't know why but he seems to like it!:pac:
    - Calming treats - I got these from iHerb but they're out of stock atm
    -Kong/Chew to distract him if he's not too stressed to take it
    -Changing the subject/Ignoring them ie talking about random crap if we hear them so he's not looking to us for a reaction :P

Adaptil - I'm not sure if it works for him or not so I don't think I'm going to bother with it this time around - I had been getting the collar for him. I've gotten him some Dorwest valerian & skullcap tablets after hearing good reviews and also got the drops for when it gets closer to Halloween and it's a bit nosier. I'm hoping the tablets might help settle him a bit on walks in the evening because he just wants to go back home atm once it gets past a certain time! He'll survive without the evening walk closer to Halloween if he's still very worried about the noise

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

My Lurcher is terrified of the sh***. I recently got him a lovely big bone (REALLY BIG) part of a cow hindleg - and he ignored everything after that arrived.But he is very food orientated...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You're lucky - it's taken us a few years to get to the stage where he'll eat anything - he was too terrified before! (Be careful with weight bearing bones - I don't feed them myself)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

That time of year again. We used to have thugs going round throwing bangers out of car Windows at all hours. No problems at all since one particular person moved away from the area. We've had peace and quiet every October for years. One neighbour sometimes gets a few for the kids on Halloween night but thats it and current dogs around here don't mind. My old lab used to be in bits in the years when his hearing was better.

tk123 wrote: »
    You're lucky - it's taken us a few years to get to the stage where he'll eat anything - he was too terrified before! (Be careful with weight bearing bones - I don't feed them myself)

not sure what the problem is with weight bearing bones? :confused:

not sure what the problem is with weight bearing bones? :confused:

They're too hard and can break teeth.

• Advertisement

They're too hard and can break teeth.

ow that...wouldn't apply to my lurcher. once he's stripped off all the meat and chewed the knuckle he kind of forgets about it.But since it's such a large bone it takes him a good few hours of intensive chewing.The looks I get the waste company when i drop of the remains are quite entertaining at times though....:D

ow that...wouldn't apply to my lurcher. once he's stripped off all the meat and chewed the knuckle he kind of forgets about it.But since it's such a large bone it takes him a good few hours of intensive chewing.The looks I get the waste company when i drop of the remains are quite entertaining at times though....:D

Same here - conceal it in layers newspaper lol :pac: Although we don't have to hide them any more - I tend not to give big bones since Bailey had the jaw op - they're just too hard for him and you can see him getting frustrated :( so stick to stuff he can actually chew up.
    LOL somebody on a raw FB group I'm on posted the other day that the dog was out with a bone and a magpie robbed it! :D

OK so a quick update. He's been doing really well!! :) He has gotten a few frights though which was expected - at home he bounces back or might sit/snooze in the crate for a while so no panic at all which is great. I did bring him to the park 2 evenings to see our friend and it was a big mistake - he was jumping up at anyone we know to pet and cuddle him and the rest of the time standing listening with his tail down so just too stressed out. He did get a fright a couple of times on walks this week (I've been walking him with the karma wrap and he was happy enough trotting along) - one when we were far from home and he panicked a little pulling on the lead but he settled quickly enough with treats and was happy again but it's made him that little bit more worried of any noises he hears out and about. On Friday I was a little later walking them and we heard 2 bangs :( He settled after the first one but the second was when we were a few doors away from home which was unfortunate because it doesn't help with his 'I'm afraid to go out the front after dark' thing after too many scary noises outside! We'll stick to short evening walks now until the 1st . Last night he was a bit uneasy when we went to bed - he got on his bed for his biscuit and decided he didn't want to stay anymore - the brat!!! :p - I put a few drops of the valerian stuff on his bedding and he sniffed it then got onto the bed and slept there all night so must like it lol. You can also drop it on their tongue so I have an advantage there with it always hanging out lol! He's been spitting the tablets out/tricking me to get them stuffed into extra treats so I've dug out the pill crusher we got after an operation and all good!

I've loved getting back into our routine of a nice stroll in the evening rather than standing around the park so looking forward to getting back out for proper walks next week when Halloween is over! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

I'm not long home from work. The dog greeted me in the kitchen and she was in good form. I was getting ready to give her her last meal of the day. I looked around and the dog was shaking and shaking tremendously too at that. I reckon it was fireworks. I didn't here any though and I was too busy comforting the dog to go out and see if there were fireworks. I brought the dog to her bed in my room and covered her with my duvet. I made a fort or a cave for her to hide under with the duvet and she settled there.

Our vet just posted on FB that there's a new medication for noise phobias etc etc .. Not sure I'd be happy to medicate if it had a bunch of side effects though..

• Advertisement

Our vet just posted on FB that there's a new medication for noise phobias etc etc .. Not sure I'd be happy to medicate if it had a bunch of side effects though..

My dog is already on medication for arthritis and I give her a joint supplement too. I will be adding salmon oil from next week so the dog has plenty of medication and supplements to taking during the day. I don't think I will be too happy adding more. Hiding out under the duvet helped last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Finn is terrified if the bangers. He's totally ok in the house as he hides in his crate, but he's refusing to go for a walk. He'll slinge along until he does a wee, then turns tail for home immediately and lies down if I try to go any further.

It wouldn't be too bad but he's so energetic that he's starting to go mad indoors. All the lead training we'd done is completely gone too because he's in a blind panic as soon as we step out the door.

:( ah poor Finn!

I just mailed the vets there to see if we can try the medicine so will report back! He's been doing great but still listening out all the time just in case.

:( ah poor Finn!.
    I know. He stops at every car too because he wants to go to the park. He's more relaxed there because we've only been during the day when there are no fireworks going off, but it's too dark now. I feel so sorry for him.

Vets replied - they're expecting delivery tomorrow and we can try it! Was out there with them..somebody closed a car door and that was it - he was ready to go home! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Tonight is the first night we can hear fireworks and the little man isn't happy. Barking intermittently and pacing a little. Have just filled his Kong with something tasty and the fireworks can't be heard over his slurping. Roll on November 1st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

My girl is licking one paw pad nonstop. There's nothing wrong with it that I can see. No foreign bodies in or around it and the licking is something she's done before when stressed. The paw is currently wrapped in a doggy-sock secured with micropore, her soft toys and blanket have been doused in Adaptil and she's snoring away.
    Where is Edward Woodward when we need him? A few strategically placed blasts of buckshot or rocksalt into the backsides of scrotes letting off bangers would be joyous.

I'd like to say thanks to the dirty little scumbags in St. Anne's park today who set off fireworks just as Finn was starting to relax, causing him to bolt out the nearest gate.

Thanks also to the guy who yelled at me to keep my, clearly terrified, dog under control. Apparently Finn tried to get into his car, for which I did profusely apologised, before giving him a quick lecture about the effects of panic.

Such a lovely walk today Finn won't leave his crate :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

kylith wrote: »
    I'd like to say thanks to the dirty little scumbags in St. Anne's park today who set off fireworks just as Finn was starting to relax, causing him to bolt out the nearest gate.

Thanks also to the guy who yelled at me to keep my, clearly terrified, dog under control. Apparently Finn tried to get into his car, for which I did profusely apologised, before giving him a quick lecture about the effects of panic.

It didn't seem right to like that post, so just wanted to say :( Hope he is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Did you phone the gardai? They really should be enforcing the law. :mad: :mad: :mad: I hope Finn gets over his fright soon.

• Advertisement

Oh NO you must have been terrified too! :( What time was this? I walk in St Annes every weekend but early enough so nothing this morning..My mum joins us on Sunday - she was just saying last night she was a bit worried he might hear something and bolt and asked me to keep him on lead in case something happened to him so I have the flexi in my bag for tomorrow/mon.

On Thurs he got a fright from bangers around 3:30-4:00pm and wouldn't come for a walk in the evening. He didn't cry for us like he normally does and when we came home he wagged his tail to Lucy and said hello to her... then run back into the crate to tell me NO WAY was he going out! :o Yesterday evening he actually wanted to go for a walk so I took them around the block and all good...then I stupidly went down to the park for a few mins to see my friend... well he was delighted to see her, running around and even went for a swim in his wrap lol... I kept him close to me and sure enough something went off in the distance - emergency stop to the rescue and I put him back on lead but I had to hold his collar for the 5 min walk back home - he was too strong on the lead he was that frightened :(

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Did you phone the gardai? They really should be enforcing the law. :mad: :mad: :mad: I hope Finn gets over his fright soon.

This is a very good point as St Anne's is patrolled by plain clothes gardai on poo patrol!!

I wish I could post the picture of our lad last night. He was happy having a rest on the end of the bed and then of course the fireworks started. He got down paced a bit and then tried to get himself underneath the bed but his extra layers and the low bed meant that he only got under it up to his shoulders and the rest left hanging out. A pitiful sight, he went down to his room then where they don't sound as loud and settled for the night.

Hiding under the table yesterday!

400333.jpg

The poor thing, looks so sad 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

Thanks tk123 for the tip with the music on youtube. I have it playing at the moment. It seems to be working. We did get kalmaid from the vet and a long walk today.....so far so good. One banger has gone off so far and he woofed once but is now back on mt lap. Normally he would be pacing, whinging and barking out the back as for his sister......welll she passed out infront of the fire....notthing new there :rolleyes:

I know it early but things a looking good for a calm evening here.....fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

.........well that didnt last long. He has started pacing, whinging and panting again. We are at our wits end dont know what to do at this stage. :confused:

Finally figured how to post the pic. Here's our poor boy last night.

Hiding under the table yesterday!

attachment.php?attachmentid=400333&stc=1&d=1477756507

Oh my god! He is so cute.

Bells21 wrote: »
    Finally figured how to post the pic. Here's our poor boy last night.

Poor pet. Terrified and hiding. It's a terrible time for pets and animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

It's heartbreaking to read these tails of woe. Just saw on FB that a dog has been hit by a car in Carlow, running frantic in traffic :( don't know his status.

I live in a rural area and haven't heard a banger for a few years. If you have any country cousins, it would be worth booking in for a yearly Halloween visit!

It's heartbreaking to read these tails of woe. Just saw on FB that a dog has been hit by a car in Carlow, running frantic in traffic :( don't know his status.

I live in a rural area and haven't heard a banger for a few years. If you have any country cousins, it would be worth booking in for a yearly Halloween visit!
    We live on the outskirts of town but unfortunately can still hear them. I would dread to think how bad he would be if they were right outside the front door. But then again if I knew who was letting them off I would be reporting them to the gardaí.

Bailey got himself into a bit of panic yesterday evening but eventually agreed to come down from the landing and stay in the sitting room with us with the door closed over and tv volume up! We kept him on lead this morning in St Anne's as planned and especially after reading about poor Finn yesterday :( - he was good as gold pottering along so I don't feel guilty about doing the same tomorrow morning!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

When will they finish up tk? I'd assume Monday evening is the last of them?

I feel for you all-we're in the middle of nowhere so i haven't heard anything. Don't know how we'd cope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Choc Chip wrote: »

I feel for you all-we're in the middle of nowhere so i haven't heard anything. Don't know how we'd cope.

Here in rural Ireland where I live a couple of mindless adults (30-45) idiots were letting off fireworks and bangers near farmland last night.Don't know what will happen tomorrow night.Hopefully someone in their miserable lives will make them see sense.

Choc Chip wrote: »

There's usually some left over (going by past years) so could be some for the next few days! Last year we had just gotten them back in the car after an early walk and one went off!

What a disaster! Bailey had been bad the last hour or so standing and listening - which we don't like with his legs. I decided to take them both upstairs and as we got to the landing LOADS went off right outside and he really panicked so Lucy got frightened too. She was very vocal to us afterwards and was listening for a while but is gone back asleep now. I really hope it wasn't too much for her and now both of them will be afraid? :(

• Advertisement

There's usually some left over (going by past years) so could be some for the next few days! Last year we had just gotten them back in the car after an early walk and one went off!

What a disaster! Bailey had been bad the last hour or so standing and listening - which we don't like with his legs. I decided to take them both upstairs and as we got to the landing LOADS went off right outside and he really panicked so Lucy got frightened too. She was very vocal to us afterwards and was listening for a while but is gone back asleep now. I really hope it wasn't too much for her and now both of them will be afraid? :(

Hopefully it will have just been a startle with no lasting ill effects.
    I was up at my mams earlier and out on the green area in front of the houses were young lads chasing each other with tubes and fireworks flying out of them. Luckily her lad is hard of hearing as they were pretty loud. There's also lots of older people living in that area, I can only imagine what a horrible time of year it is for them too. People have been reporting the incidenta but that doesn't seem to be a deterrent.

Got Finn out nice and early to the beach today. Still wouldn't go far but at least something of a walk. I'm anticipating nervous walks for the next couple of weeks as he calms down, then another fiasco around new year.

Thankfully he's not bothered by them in the house and is flaked out on the sofa.

Thank god it's over! Well we tried the medicine and honestly we couldn't see any difference! I had planned on taking a few videos of before and after if it was a miracle but sadly it wasn't so didn't bother! He was still panting and listening to everything. He wasn't so bothered about the quieter ones but any loud bangs and he jumped up. He eventually relaxed and fell asleep after 11 and slept all night - except for asking for a drink at 3:00am...because bold Lucy had drained the water bowl on him lol!! Got them out for a run this morning in the park (it's bright again!!) and I'm working from home today so he should sleep for most of it. I might play it safe this evening and just do a short walk just in case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

The door bell ringing last night seemed to get Sooty agitated, but not seriously so.

A couple of weeks ago he stayed with my folks while we were on holiday. Mum said there was very loud thunder one night & she ended up sleeping on the couch with him as he was extremely spooked by it.

Where we live is quiet enough but I was a little worried going to bed. Sure enough I was woken up by him barking, which he does next to never. I went down & he was wide awake & very alert. I wasn't hearing a lot of fireworks but either way he wouldn't settle. I ended up taking him up to our room, put his bed beside ours so I could lie down & keep a hand on him. It worked & he lay down & drifted off to sleep before 11

post on facebook today about animal being mistreated ( a cat blown up by firework in his/her mouth) etc is just making my blood boil.I just cannot grasp the person doing things like this, it's alien to me how someone can even consider doing something like that. Just took half an hour break at work cause I'm so upset...:(:(:(

• Advertisement

post on facebook today about animal being mistreated ( a cat blown up by firework in his/her mouth) etc is just making my blood boil.I just cannot grasp the person doing things like this, it's alien to me how someone can even consider doing something like that. Just took half an hour break at work cause I'm so upset...

I saw that post, read the post but couldn't bring myself to look at the pictures. How anyone could want to inflict such distress and an absolutely horrific death on an animal is beyond me.

Advertisement