Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Commuter Town to buy in

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

East wall. Great houses, right in the heart of the city, good prices. Just expect a few Halloween bonfires etc!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Charlestown area of Finglas. 2 bed apartments going for around €150k. 140, 83 and 9 all go into town in about 30 mins, a taxi out is about €16 at night time. Dunnes, Aldi, Lidl all within 5 minutes of each other and then youve a huge Tesco in Clearwater with a Super Value and Iceland in Finglas village itself. Charlestown Shopping Centre not the best in the world but it is modern and has most things you would need. Theres a new cinema and Leisureplex open there now next to McDonalds and KFC. Access to the m50 is easy and you can be on it in just a few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Charlestown area of Finglas. 2 bed apartments going for around €150k. 140, 83 and 9 all go into town in about 30 mins, a taxi out is about €16 at night time. Dunnes, Aldi, Lidl all within 5 minutes of each other and then youve a huge Tesco in Clearwater with a Super Value and Iceland in Finglas village itself. Charlestown Shopping Centre not the best in the world but it is modern and has most things you would need. Theres a new cinema and Leisureplex open there now next to McDonalds and KFC. Access to the m50 is easy and you can be on it in just a few minutes.

I often go to this shopping centre, small but convenient. Not the best area to raise a family though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I am in the same situation as you. I was looking for a house and I was getting further and further out of Dublin with my search. I just said to myself one night .... Wait?!? Sure I'm single why on the name of God would I want a house miles away from city centre. I'd be worrying about going out, coming home prices of taxis. So my search is now apartments in the City Centre or surrounding areas. So I have it handy to meet up with my friends for a drink and no commute to work. IF I meet someone then I can rent out apartment or sell up and buy house with him.

yeah good idea. I dont know why people move to a massive compromise location, with awful amenities compared to dublin. they then spend a fortune on transport and waste hundreds of hours a year commuting. get somewhere in city centre ideally where you can walk or cycle to and from work and dont need taxis for nights out, will save a fortune and you have a far better quality of life, in somewhere you actually want to live!

for those who want to buy etc, but are still youngish and single, best get somewhere on nightlink and with good links to dublin, some of the northern suburbs or coastal towns, with buses that use the port tunnel, could be a good shout...

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

Speaking of commuter town, do you guys believe the below house is worth the asking price?

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/75-fancourt-heights-balbriggan-county-dublin/3574576

Thanks.

If I should not post it here then Mods please accept my sincere apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

How about Citywest, direct access to the Luas, nice shopping centre. Everything you need really. Not ideal to get to North Dublin unless you're driving but very handy for city centre. You can rely on the Luas to take the exact same amount of time every day.

deepsea123 wrote: »
    What is Santry like to live in? Are there good amenities?

Northwood in Santry is more of an industrial park to me, lots of offices there, I'd imagine it's very quiet at night. Not much of a centre to it really. You'd have to be driving to go anywhere decent on a night out. Also it's just on the doorstep of Ballymun so don't be fooled by it being called Santry.

09_09_09 wrote: »
    Speaking of commuter town, do you guys believe the below house is worth the asking price?

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/75-fancourt-heights-balbriggan-county-dublin/3574576

Thanks.

If I should not post it here then Mods please accept my sincere apologies.

Depends, if you have a family I'd say it's worth the price, if you haven't I'd imagine there's a lot of maintenance to be done on it for a single person or young couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭thebeerbaron

pilly wrote: »
    How about Citywest, direct access to the Luas, nice shopping centre. Everything you need really. Not ideal to get to North Dublin unless you're driving but very handy for city centre. You can rely on the Luas to take the exact same amount of time every day.
    I work in citiwest. While it has the luas, a small shopping center, lidl there is no other amenities, no pub, no sports facilities etc. Most of that is in tallaght. I'd say also that its very quiet in the weekend.

I work in citiwest. While it has the luas, a small shopping center, lidl there is no other amenities, no pub, no sports facilities etc. Most of that is in tallaght. I'd say also that its very quiet in the weekend.

Probably, there is a gym though, at least one in the hotel and I think there's another one somewhere. But yes, not buzzing nightlife wise but Tallaght isn't that far away from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

Depends, if you have a family I'd say it's worth the price, if you haven't I'd imagine there's a lot of maintenance to be done on it for a single person or young couple.

It's just me (early 30s) and my wife (late 20s) at the moment. It's so difficult to find a decent house in our budget (€230,000-235,000).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

The problem there is the locals that use the luas from tallaght. The ones that choose not to work that is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Northwood in Santry is more of an industrial park to me, lots of offices there, I'd imagine it's very quiet at night. Not much of a centre to it really. You'd have to be driving to go anywhere decent on a night out. Also it's just on the doorstep of Ballymun so don't be fooled by it being called Santry.

The Ballymun side by Gullivers Retail may feel a bit like that, but the Santry side close to the Crowne Plaza certainly doesn't (Parklands, Temple Court/Gardens/Lawns).
    Santry Court was in Santry Park, before it was demolished, adjacent to Northwood.
    4741287.jpg?302
    http://www.santrycommunitygarden.ie/history-of-the-garden-and-santry-demesne.html

If you are looking for night clubs, yeah, you won't find them in Northwood. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Would the likes of bluebell/ Ballyfermot be a viable option? In same situation.. Single in mid 20s but want to be near town.. Not reliant on a car.

The problem there is the locals that use the luas from tallaght. The ones that choose not to work that is

Never cause any bother to me, once you look like you know where you're going and have your "don't mess with me face" on, they won't bother you. It's just like public transport in any major city, you just have to have a hard neck and not be a wimp about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Never cause any bother to me, once you look like you know where you're going and have your "don't mess with me face" on, they won't bother you. It's just like public transport in any major city, you just have to have a hard neck and not be a wimp about it.

It was only a few days ago ..a guy minding his own business was attacked and kicked in the face in tallaght

deepsea123 wrote: »

Most likely to change jobs soon (as soon as I've purchased something), so ideally want to keep my commute options as open as possible. So would be good if wherever I buy I could get to business parks in North or west Dublin or the city centre ...........

I would wait until you move jobs.

I know several people who live in Sallins, Naas & Clane who cummute to city centre using the Sallins train. It's not too bad an option but once you need to consider commuting to various business parks you are complicating location choice greatly.

At least half of "respectable" folk can't pull that off, to be fair.

Advertisement