Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antenatal Classes

Options
  • 04-10-2016 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Just looking for some advice on antenatal classes in Dublin. I am attending Holles St and due early March. I really want to do the classes but the classes in the hospital are done over 6 separate classes and to be honest I just can't keep going in there all the time for appointments and classes etc. I don't know if I'm coming or going these days!

So I'm looking for a course done over one day. There seem to be a good few of them so I'm just looking for any recommendations / advice / experience.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Our hospital had choice of course of 1 hour classes, 3 afternoon ones or one day. If your hospital doesn't offer them, wonder if it's possible for you to check out another hospital that might have the full day ones? You'll miss out on seeing the local labour ward though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Gatica wrote: »
    Our hospital had choice of course of 1 hour classes, 3 afternoon ones or one day. If your hospital doesn't offer them, wonder if it's possible for you to check out another hospital that might have the full day ones? You'll miss out on seeing the local labour ward though.

I know - that's the only thing I think I'd miss out on is the tour. It would be a shame to miss it but I just can't keep going in every week. Especially as it will be over Xmas.
    I might e-mail them and see if they do offer any 1 day classes. Although there's nothing on the list so am doubtful. :( I know the Coombe offer evening classes and Saturday all day classes for free. But in Holles St you have to pay for the evening class. It's a shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

It is a bit of a pain going in and out of holles Street and paying for parking each time or the bus/luas whatever. I totally agree.

I am kinda looking at it from another perspective though, they won't let you start until you are at least 28 weeks ( well they didn't allow me anyway! ) although you should book now. But I am seeing it as a half day every Friday from the discomfort of work, you are entitled to take time off for the five classes and I might really welcome that at 28 weeks. Although it's not like it will be a rest but it is a break from sitting in my office chair at least.

I know that doesn't answer your question whatsoever but it is just one small thing to consider.

Yeah and I was thinking that - I get the time off work anyway. But my husband wouldn't. So I could do it on my own. Or we could do a day one some Saturday and both do it but they are between 150 - 200euro. I think it would be good for him to do it too. Particularly for the labour part - it would be good for him to know what to expect I think.
    The other alternative is to do the evening ones but again you're paying €80 and still have to go in 6 times.
    Oh I just can't decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I'm signed up to the Holles street evening classes and will start them in another couple of weeks.

Tbh I haven't thought too much about it, am just gonna get on with it and make the most of it. It'll be a bit rushed getting there from work (no half-days for me!), and I'm struggling with pelvic pain now already, but it'll be worth the effort.

I'm excited about going to them as it means we are getting close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

dreamstar wrote: »
    Yeah and I was thinking that - I get the time off work anyway. But my husband wouldn't. So I could do it on my own. Or we could do a day one some Saturday and both do it but they are between 150 - 200euro. I think it would be good for him to do it too. Particularly for the labour part - it would be good for him to know what to expect I think.
    The other alternative is to do the evening ones but again you're paying €80 and still have to go in 6 times.
    Oh I just can't decide.

Yeah that was a dilemma for me too, considering my husband. Did you know he is entitled to attend two of the Classes and have time off work too? That would mean trying to work out which two he should go to or him just taking a bit of time off for the other three like we did.

Not sure why there is such inequality and why they can't have all five too, what is the justification for giving the partners time for just two classes, so annoying!

Anyway, sorry again, I sound like a sales person for the five class option! I suppose it's just that I went through the same thought process as you so just letting you know my reasoning for my choice!

I'm signed up to the Holles street evening classes and will start them in another couple of weeks.

Tbh I haven't thought too much about it, am just gonna get on with it and make the most of it. It'll be a bit rushed getting there from work (no half-days for me!), and I'm struggling with pelvic pain now already, but it'll be worth the effort.

I'm excited about going to them as it means we are getting close!

I'm thinking I might just do the ones in the hospital. I just noticed there that there is a singles class too. I might just do that. They seem to have one class then on the first Thursday of the month that you don't need to book and they show the childbirth video etc. So might just bring the hubby to that one.

Do you know if you can just start any week or do you have to wait for a course to start?

greenttc wrote: »
    Did you know he is entitled to attend two of the Classes and have time off work too? That would mean trying to work out which two he should go to or him just taking a bit of time off for the other three like we did.

....no I didn't know that. Maybe as a start I should get him to check what he can get time off for. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

i did the holles street ones last time and found them great! Just got hubby to come to the class on delivery and to the one with the tour of the labor ward! if your planning on breast feeding definitely try get into the class on breast feeding its just a once off and i did it when i was off on maternity leave two weeks before due date. Its invaluable!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

dreamstar wrote: »
    I'm thinking I might just do the ones in the hospital. I just noticed there that there is a singles class too. I might just do that. They seem to have one class then on the first Thursday of the month that you don't need to book and they show the childbirth video etc. So might just bring the hubby to that one.

Do you know if you can just start any week or do you have to wait for a course to start?

I think you have to start on a certain week. I just rang up and gave the girl my due date and what day suits best, and she booked me in.

It's annoying that you've to pay for the after-work classes, but those who aren't working anyway and can attend the day classes (many of whom we are paying for through our taxes!) get theirs for free. Penalising working people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement