Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon XT

Options
  • 04-10-2016 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

I've just received my Phonewatch bill for the next year and I've had enough. In fact, I should have done something about this years ago. There's just no way I'm prepared to pay so much for someone to occasionally phone me to get me to phone someone else who might be able to check whether my house has been burgled.

I'd really appreciate advice on alternative options as I've been doing some research myself and I'm getting a little confused. Despite rumours of all kinds of strange goings on with engineer codes being changed and contracts changed so that I no longer own my alarm system, it looks like I should be able to change my monitoring to another company such as homesecure, securigard or safenet (it's a Simon XT and it's 6 years old). However, my ideal solution would be to get some sort of self-monitoring option whereby the system phones or texts me or others if and when it goes off. Some of my research indicates this should be possible but some indicates that the Phonewatch set-up wont allow this. Does anyone have a definitive answer on this? Any help or recommentdations for which of the above companies might be best if self-monitoring is not an option would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 davehogan100

I'll do my best to advise you based on my experience.

Contract: Your going to have to go through any communications you've received from them but chances are your on a 30 day rolling contract. If you decide to cancel and they say your in contract I recommend challenging them on it by requesting they inform you when you agreed to enter into a new contract.

Do I own my system: Yes, Its only the newer system I've ever heard of issues with regarding ownership

Reprogramming: Your entitled to request your engineer code from them however insure you get your dealer code not your installer code. Why? The dealer code allows full access to everything the installer code does not allow you to change the monitoring phone numbers.

Can it be self monitored: Yes we have a small number of customers with these installed as self monitored systems but they were installed originally by us specifically to be self monitored per customer request. The system will ring you and tell you whats set it off and you can then disarm and rearm it.

Can it text me: Im not aware of the XT being able to text even on GSM.

Is my system GSM or PSTN: If your system is connected to a conventional phone line nothing will change if you disconnect if its on GSM you will need to supply your own sim card as the one in the panel will be turned off. I've added this in as its something you'll need to consider if you want to self monitor if you don't the company you go with will provide you with a Sim card as part of your monitoring fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭1Anon

Thanks a million Davehogan100 that's really helpful and all makes sense. One final question; would you recommend monitoring by a company before self-monitoring. Self monitoring to me seems to be the most cost efficient option and results in sffectively the same thing but there could be something I'm not considering.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

You can also just turn the Simon into a voice dialling system so it rings 4 phone numbers it is possible if you get it reprogrammed but you need to call PW and request your engineer code

1Anon wrote: »
    Thanks a million Davehogan100 that's really helpful and all makes sense. One final question; would you recommend monitoring by a company before self-monitoring. Self monitoring to me seems to be the most cost efficient option and results in sffectively the same thing but there could be something I'm not considering.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 davehogan100

When requesting the engineer code you need to insure its the dealer code your given as I've mentioned. If your given the installer code its totally useless to you for any alternative monitoring be it self or otherwise and if the panel if phone locked(it will most likely be) it can't be defaulted even by alot of installers. I can't stress that enough.

If you get a code just reply back here and I'll give you instructions to check which code you've received. Its straight forward and once you've confirmed you have the dealer code your free to choose what to do next.

Self monitored: As stated your panel will ring you and go "Front Door Alarm etc". The XT does up to 4 numbers and you can turn off and rearm your panel when it rings you.

Monitored: The same as you currently have a central station will contact you to inform you your alarm is going off and offer to send the Gardai if its a verified burglary (2 or more zones violated) and a key holder can be present.

Its really down to what you want the key disadvantage to unmonitored systems is theres no human in the loop. A good central station will make the effort to try and continue to contact you if their unable to get your key holders and might pick up on something an automated system wouldn't. The disadvantage of monitoring is the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭1Anon

Thanks again Davehogan100. I've requested my code from Phonewatch and they've sent me out a "waiver" to sign and return. I expressly stated on the phone that I wanted my dealer code and the person I spoke to seemed oblivious to this and claimed there is only one engineer code. It remains to be seen I suppose but I suspect their plan may be to make switching or discontinuing with them as difficult as possible. As suggested, I'll check back here once I receive the code ant take it from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭retepnosnikta

1Anon wrote: »
    Thanks again Davehogan100. I've requested my code from Phonewatch and they've sent me out a "waiver" to sign and return. I expressly stated on the phone that I wanted my dealer code and the person I spoke to seemed oblivious to this and claimed there is only one engineer code. It remains to be seen I suppose but I suspect their plan may be to make switching or discontinuing with them as difficult as possible. As suggested, I'll check back here once I receive the code ant take it from there.

Without trying to simplify the matter, you got a renewal notice and are choosing not to renew. You're out of contract so make sure it's it hasn't rolled over into another year. Give notice of cancellation ASAP.

As stated above you've quite a few options with the XT. PW rarely exploited the full potential of their GE equipment. You'd be amazed what you can do with it. Connecting a GSM dialer and you have text options. Lighting schedules via x10 and all controllable via your mobile phone.

Just make sure they give you the dealer code as you can't change any phone settings without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sqsqswqdwdwq

Davehogan100 - I bought a Simon XT board in the US with a CDMA board that's 'hardwired" to a US based "Alarm.Com" central station (no slot available for a SIM socket). So I can't use it here in Ireland. When I go into the "Systems" menu, I see a selection where it will try to do a CDMA search for the central monitoring station. Of course, it doesn't find it, since it's probably searching using CDMA, for the US "Alarm.com" monitoring station.
    So I bought a new? GSM board from a Dublin-based contractor yesterday, installed it into the Simon XT box, but the Phone Config sub menu (Under Systems/Sensors/Phone config/Download) that was available for the CDMA board no longer appears when I have the GSM board installed. The box just doesn't seem to see the GSM modem.
    Is there any reason why an Irish-based GSM board would not work in the US Simon XT box? Could the 'firmware" in the XT box look only for a CDMA modem and not issue any other type of modem search?

As you may not be aware you are not allowed to promote your self as a company . We are here to give advise not grab the first job that POPS up . The man asked for advise so impartial advise is all your allowed to give . Your not giving that.

Howya now, I'm working with Homesecure.ie at the moment,and I can help you with this,we currently have two deal that will save you money or upgrade your security

Can I pm you regarding this?

You can buy a ready to go SIM card and make the XT call up to 4 mobiles as a self monitoring system if you like but my advise is to add a ringing bellbox to the system so it's an alarm that sounds outside it is the most effective type of alarm.

quote="1Anon;101263731"]Thanks again Davehogan100. I've requested my code from Phonewatch and they've sent me out a "waiver" to sign and return. I expressly stated on the phone that I wanted my dealer code and the person I spoke to seemed oblivious to this and claimed there is only one engineer code. It remains to be seen I suppose but I suspect their plan may be to make switching or discontinuing with them as difficult as possible. As suggested, I'll check back here once I receive the code ant take it from there.[/quote]

Advertisement