Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web hosts that support LetsEncrypt?

Options
  • 04-10-2016 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I've been happily using <redacted> for several years now and they've been reliable with very good support. Now I need https to accept payments and they only offer certs for EUR 90/year.

They are probably waiting for cPanel to properly support LetsEncrypt but I know companies outside of Ireland are doing it. Has anyone had experience with a good hosting company that supports LetsEncrypt?

https://letsencrypt.org/docs/faq/
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Unfortunately we can't discuss specific hosting companies on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

It looks like LetsEncrypt supports validation via DNS records. Can you set those up with your host and use the client on a local machine to request a certificate?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You asked this a few days ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

It was deleted by a mod as the subject is prohibited by the forum charter. Maybe the mods will just lock and leave this one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

It looks like LetsEncrypt supports validation via DNS records. Can you set those up with your host and use the client on a local machine to request a certificate?
    Thanks Colonel Panic, I'll go back to them with this and see if they can help.
    kbannon wrote: »
    You asked this a few days ago!
    That explains why the autofill already had the question title. I have absolutely no recollection of doing it though :eek: And, as said by someone else, I didn't see it in my subscriptions. I've removed the offending mention of the company name.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The thread itself is looking for a choice of company which isn't allowed.
    Anyhow, IIRC my precious reply asked how much it would cost to move host and whether it's worth the hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

If you are accepting payments then it's advisable to get a proper paid cert organised.

Presumably as you mentioned LetsEncrypt you are looking to do it cheap or free.

You might want to look at using Cloudflare as they have a free shared cert option that might work for you.

https://www.cloudflare.com/ssl/

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

Might not be what you are after, but on a VPS Webmin/Virtualmin supports LetsEncrypt.

PM if you want a specific recommendation.

kbannon wrote: »
    The thread itself is looking for a choice of company which isn't allowed.
    Anyhow, IIRC my precious reply asked how much it would cost to move host and whether it's worth the hassle?
    I want to know if any providers based in Ierland support LetsEncrypt. You're right, I'm very happy with them besides this so maybe I should bite the bullet for the first year anyway. Once cPanel support is done they'll all probably support it.
    If you are accepting payments then it's advisable to get a proper paid cert organised.

Presumably as you mentioned LetsEncrypt you are looking to do it cheap or free.

You might want to look at using Cloudflare as they have a free shared cert option that might work for you.

https://www.cloudflare.com/ssl/
    The shared cert looks good as for the EUR120/year you get limited DDoS protection and firewall included. I can't imagine we will be taking in much for the first few years but if we want online payments I guess we've just got to do it.

You're not the first to say that payed certs are "proper" certs, but LetsEncrypt has a huge community of very technical and respectable people - so what makes them not proper or inferior?
    fcrossen wrote: »
    Might not be what you are after, but on a VPS Webmin/Virtualmin supports LetsEncrypt.

PM if you want a specific recommendation.
    Thanks fcrossen, I don't understand that but I'd appreciate an example so I can see if it's an option that suits my needs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You're not the first to say that payed certs are "proper" certs, but LetsEncrypt has a huge community of very technical and respectable people - so what makes them not proper or inferior?
    1. Customers don't give a monkeys about the technical/respectable people involved.
    2. A paid cert is a few euro, unless you value your time at zero lets encrypt is expensive.
    3. LetsEncrypt is free, that potentially put you in the same neighbourhood as all sorts of dodgy operators that love free.
    4. LetsEncrypt certs need re-issuing every 90 days, unless that's automated refers to 2)

Unless you're running on a zero budget, spend your time on the million other things that actually have the potential to generate revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

Thanks fcrossen, I don't understand that but I'd appreciate an example so I can see if it's an option that suits my needs.

VPS - Virtual Private Server

Pro: Much more reliable and better performance than a shared hosting solution plus you get root access to install whatever you want on it.

Con: Unless you go for a managed solution ($$$) you need to look after the OS/configuration/updates yourself. It is not arduous but needs a certain technical knowledge.

Virtualmin - a web based, open source, web host control panel (like cPanel, but not s.h.i.t.!) See https://www.virtualmin.com/

fcrossen wrote: »
    VPS - Virtual Private Server

Pro: Much more reliable and better performance than a shared hosting solution plus you get root access to install whatever you want on it.

Con: Unless you go for a managed solution ($$$) you need to look after the OS/configuration/updates yourself. It is not arduous but needs a certain technical knowledge.

Virtualmin - a web based, open source, web host control panel (like cPanel, but not s.h.i.t.!) See https://www.virtualmin.com/
    Thanks, that sums it up nicely :)
    Graham wrote: »
    1. Customers don't give a monkeys about the technical/respectable people involved.
    2. A paid cert is a few euro, unless you value your time at zero lets encrypt is expensive.
    3. LetsEncrypt is free, that potentially put you in the same neighbourhood as all sorts of dodgy operators that love free.
    4. LetsEncrypt certs need re-issuing every 90 days, unless that's automated refers to 2)

Unless you're running on a zero budget, spend your time on the million other things that actually have the potential to generate revenue.
    • I'm the customer and I do care.
    • It's about EUR 100
    • Like people who use/provide Firefox, LibreOffice, Blender 3D?
    • It is automated

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Thanks, that sums it up nicely :)

• I'm the customer and I do care.
    • It's about EUR 100
    • Like people who use/provide Firefox, LibreOffice, Blender 3D?
    • It is automated

If you're doing this for non-commercial reasons or a training exercise fair enough.
    If you're doing this for an ecommerce operation, your customers are most unlikely to care.
    If you're paying anything like €100 for a basic ssl cert you're most definitely doing something wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I think LetsEncrypt is a fantastic project, I hope it continues to gain support and encourages wider adoption of SSL.

I just wouldn't be recommending its use in a commercial project, particularly when standard SSL certs start at round $5.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

I use an American VPS provider [reclaim hosting] and access most things through a CPanel. They have LetsEncrypt available and configurable through Cpanel.

While I like my hosting company's service I don't think they are cutting edge so if they have Cpanel LetsEncrypt I imagine it must be fairly common and straight forward to set up. Have you thought of contacting your provider to ask if they will make it available?

Hmm, they said to me on Twitter that something is "in the works" but nothing soon. Which leads me to believe they're waiting for vanilla cPanel support.

I imagine they get a *lot* of requests since they are similarly named outfits and could be assumed to be twin operations. LetsEncrypt is to encryption as _____ is to hosting.

Advertisement