Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

conditions after a company takeover

Options
  • 04-10-2016 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi,
    One year ago the company I work for was taken over by another company. Staff wise there is very little contact between the new and the old as we're both in different buildings in different parts of the city. There was no changes to our contracts though we have got some benefits which we didn't have before but would be standard with the other company. Recently though I discovered that staff in other company will be paid in full the two weeks paternity recently introduced by the government while we will have no change to our previous condition of three days. It's making me wonder if there are other benefits we are missing out on.
    Has anyone ever come across this before? It seems a little unfair to me that the same company offer some benefits to some staff while others don't receive them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Employers are not required to pay paternity leave unless it states it in your contract of employment. TUPE regulations mean that when one company takes over another, the rights of the workers under their contracts of employment are maintained but that does not mean you are entitled to whatever improved terms are given to the employees of the company that buys the company you work for.

Paternity pay is a benefit given to the employees of the other company in their contract of employment, that does not mean you are entitled to it just because your company has been bought.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/paternity_leave.html

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/contracts_of_employment/transfer_of_business.html

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ms34

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into the tupe regulations you mentioned. The paternity difference doesn't actually apply to me where I am in life I just thought it was odd that since the change in legislation the company I work with haven't changed their stance while the other company have decided to the right thing and give the two weeks paternity with full pay. Of course, I know that some companies don't give anything or less than we currently get so from that stand point we're doing pretty good. Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

The new rules provide for payment for paternity leave from Dept of social & family affairs, €230 per week if I remember right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

ms34 wrote: »
    Hi,
    One year ago the company I work for was taken over by another company. Staff wise there is very little contact between the new and the old as we're both in different buildings in different parts of the city. There was no changes to our contracts though we have got some benefits which we didn't have before but would be standard with the other company. Recently though I discovered that staff in other company will be paid in full the two weeks paternity recently introduced by the government while we will have no change to our previous condition of three days. It's making me wonder if there are other benefits we are missing out on.
    Has anyone ever come across this before? It seems a little unfair to me that the same company offer some benefits to some staff while others don't receive them.

Yes I have come across this before. It's not that uncommon.

Advertisement