Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2016

Options
  • 04-10-2016 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi Guys,

I just found out that there are no spaces left in the Dublin Marathon and i have been training for 8 months for it! Just wanted to see if there is anyone out there who is dropping out due to injury or cant do it? I would be happy to give the money for it if there is a space available.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnRock

Thats sh**

there's a facebook group DublinMarathon2016 ask there

also try on the running groups on meetup.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

I've heard many similar stories, I find it hard to get my head around how people can train for so long without having signed up to the event, or even doing research on when it typically sells out.

That being said I hope OP gets sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭browne_rob5

This happened to my friend and he is now running the Florence marathon in November instead. He was able to arrange flights and accommodation quite cheaply.Here are some other options.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/fitness/miss-the-chance-to-enter-the-dublin-marathon-here-are-other-options-1.2753991

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

obeefy wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I just found out that there are no spaces left in the Dublin Marathon and i have been training for 8 months for it! Just wanted to see if there is anyone out there who is dropping out due to injury or cant do it? I would be happy to give the money for it if there is a space available.

Thanks in advance!

Transfer of numbers is not allowed. There was a waiting list for an extra 2,000 places, but they are all filled now. You'll have to find another marathon I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 VitoG

Hi,
    I am actually dropping out due a injury, if u are still interested let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Gileadi wrote: »
    I've heard many similar stories, I find it hard to get my head around how people can train for so long without having signed up to the event, or even doing research on when it typically sells out.

The OP posted on October 4th, even if it didn't sell out the closing date for entries would have been October 1st!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Craigevans1985

There's a H&S concern on the transfer of numbers, next of kin details, emergency info etc. It might seem draconian but they do try to be as helpful as they can be. I'm sure that they could get a system in place that could handle that, but they are all volunteers, most work a full time job in addition to doing the race series and it's a pretty manual process. If someone out there can create a secure online system for them for free maybe they'd look at it. I missed last year due to injury, I missed the cut off this year, and that was despite me speaking with them on the phone and them advising me that it was nearing capacity before it sold out. My own stupid fault for missing, can't really blame the system...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

There's a H&S concern on the transfer of numbers, next of kin details, emergency info etc. It might seem draconian but they do try to be as helpful as they can be. I'm sure that they could get a system in place that could handle that, but they are all volunteers, most work a full time job in addition to doing the race series and it's a pretty manual process. If someone out there can create a secure online system for them for free maybe they'd look at it. I missed last year due to injury, I missed the cut off this year, and that was despite me speaking with them on the phone and them advising me that it was nearing capacity before it sold out. My own stupid fault for missing, can't really blame the system...

Why for free? They charge an entry fee. They could also charge an administration fee for transfers

Anyway anyone that has been training so long should have entered the race while it was still open.Having said that I did hear of a good few people missing out this year

I meant that they'd get the system for free, not the transfers. They could certainly charge for transfers, though it would be nice to refund part back to the runner who couldn't run also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

I meant that they'd get the system for free, not the transfers. They could certainly charge for transfers, though it would be nice to refund part back to the runner who couldn't run also.

Maybe they could buy the system/software using the entry frees they collect. Don't see why they should get it for free

• Advertisement

howiya wrote: »
    Maybe they could buy the system/software using the entry frees they collect. Don't see why they should get it for free

totally, but an expensive online admin system is a handy way to not address the "transfer" issue, but they can't avoid it if someone gives the offer of one tied up in a box with a bow on top. :)

Advertisement