Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASTI OctNov Action *Post 1 for usual plea for restraint Especially New Posters *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I'm sure some TUI voters only voted yes to ensure they got the s&s payment, doesn't seem fair then if it's seperated for ASTI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

I'm sure some TUI voters only voted yes to ensure they got the s&s payment, doesn't seem fair then if it's seperated for ASTI.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1019/825172-teachers-strike-asti/

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Well it would limit the school closure to strike days only for a start and to be fair the ASTI shouldn't have to do it unpaid.

I think it would buy time if nothing else

I'm really wondering how valid is the TUI ballot if we're voting on apples and oranges. Maybe TUI would have held firm and rejected LRA if they could have done so and still gotten their €796.

I'm grasping at straws, would just love to see any way of overturning the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭amacca

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    On the contrary, people will be dumbed down rather than wise up. Newer teachers coming through will just think of it as 'part of the job' when asked.

probably true, unfortunately

but eventually I suppose the increasing time commitments and workload will have an effect particularly as age also takes its toll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

I suppose in fairness deise that it's worth remembering that the SnS payments were part of HRA and never had anything to do with LRA, until the DES connected the two things as we approached the end of HRA.
    So if they finally honoured their part of the previous agreement I don't see why TUI would see it as affecting their decision to sign up to the current agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

I suppose in fairness deise that it's worth remembering that the SnS payments were part of HRA and never had anything to do with LRA, until the DES connected the two things as we approached the end of HRA.
    So if they finally honoured their part of the previous agreement I don't see why TUI would see it as affecting their decision to sign up to the current agreement.

Very true actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

km79 wrote: »
    Very true actually

Who gives a flying ****about the TUI. They always cave in first. They will no doubt.benefit if we get anything. If department cave on s and s you press advantage. Stick knife further in. GOD knows they did it to us enough times.

I take offense to that Mrwhite1970. I'm TUI, I'm not impressed with their Yes to LRA, I voted No, as did every other TUI member that I know. I'm totally behind the ASTI but at the end of the day TUI were told that they wouldn't get S&S if they voted No, most members didn't have the balls to vote No and see what happened but if LRA and S&S are not separated, then TUI should be looking for a reballot, or at least that's what I'd like to see.

I take offense to that Mrwhite1970. I'm TUI, I'm not impressed with their Yes to LRA, I voted No, as did every other TUI member that I know. I'm totally behind the ASTI but at the end of the day TUI were told that they wouldn't get S&S if they voted No, most members didn't have the balls to vote No and see what happened but if LRA and S&S are not separated, then TUI should be looking for a reballot, or at least that's what I'd like to see.

No personal offence meant but it begs question why are you in TUI ??. You are free to join ASTI. You must know tui worse than asti for cave ins

• Advertisement

ASTI don't have negotiating rights in my school.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

No personal offence meant but it begs question why are you in TUI ??. You are free to join ASTI. You must know tui worse than asti for cave ins

Mr white a Tui member can not switch unions now as there is a dispute on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

And they never will until at least one teacher joins, then a second......

As far as I'm aware you can still join. I once enquiries about joining TUI in a reverse circumstance . You are still entitled to labour laws no matter what union you are in or none . If your school is like mine You can't count on staff members to press management. Once staff can hide behind a ballot they become militant at least for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

No. I ha e been rejected from membership of ASTI based on my school. Believe me, I have tried to join a number of times over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

The thing I don't get is TUI members emphatically rejected the LRA on the "first go":

http://www.tui.ie/press-releases/tui-members-emphatically-reject-lansdowne-road-agreement-.7652.html

Everyone I know (third level) voted no on the "second go", and in my wife's school same thing too, despite
    the best efforts of the TUI executive to convince us otherwise (our local TUI branch was advising on a no vote).
    One begins to wonder if the count was rigged.

I really wonder at the result of the ballot Darwin. Doesn't make sense to me how such an emphatic NO can change to a two-thirds Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Darwin wrote: »
    The thing I don't get is TUI members emphatically rejected the LRA on the "first go":

http://www.tui.ie/press-releases/tui-members-emphatically-reject-lansdowne-road-agreement-.7652.html

Everyone I know (third level) voted no on the "second go", and in my wife's school same thing too, despite
    the best efforts of the TUI executive to convince us otherwise (our local TUI branch was advising on a no vote).
    One begins to wonder if the count was rigged.

Well to balance your spurious accusations against the integrity of the vote, almost everyone I know in my branch voted for it.

Are you 2nd level joebloggs32? I've literallly not met one person that voted Yes in my (second level) circle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

km79 wrote: »
    That would solve that problem
    But then the TUI...........and all the other issues

TUI signing up to LR had other concessions. They took the deal.
    S&S pay is part of Haddington Road! What happened that agreement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Well to balance your spurious accusations against the integrity of the vote, almost everyone I know in my branch voted for it.

Out of interest, what swung them from saying no to yes? Also, do you not find it strange that their ASTI colleagues kept their original point of view (i.e. no)? It makes no sense to me.

Darwin wrote: »
    Out of interest, what swung them from saying no to yes? Also, do you not find it strange that their ASTI colleagues kept their original point of view (i.e. no)? It makes no sense to me.

It was mostly in the grounds of protecting younger teachers through the ward report. Also that the TUI would be fighting for pay parity, which has been been improved.
    I remember some members at a meeting saying the department wouldn't follow through on the threats, but guess what, they have.
    Funnily enough this week in my school two ASTI members both told me how they voted this month. Each one voted no!

There are people in the ASTI who voted to accept LRA. There are people in the TUI who voted to reject. In each union a majority decided otherwise.
    Regarding the Ward report being denied to ASTI members, well that's just crying out for one single court case to prove such discrimination is illegal.

There are people in the ASTI who voted to accept LRA. There are people in the TUI who voted to reject. In each union a majority decided otherwise.
    Regarding the Ward report being denied to ASTI members, well that's just crying out for one single court case to prove such discrimination is illegal.

That's true for sure. How often do we hear of motoring offences being thrown out the courts due to a cock up in legislation. They surely haven't all their ducks perfectly lined up on this.

I remember some members at a meeting saying the department wouldn't follow through on the threats, but guess what, they have.
    I don't think they would have if INTO and TUI had held it together, but we'll never know now

Funnily enough this week in my school two ASTI members both told me how they voted this month. Each one voted no!
    Nothing funny about that really, makes total sense, everybody in my staff room knows where I stand and if they did vote Yes to LRA probably wouldn't be running up to tell me.

Millem wrote: »
    Mr white a Tui member can not switch unions now as there is a dispute on.

I knew that but nothing to stop her from doing it last six months but perhaps unaware you could do it. Personally I will leave asti if we back out of a serious fight. Meaning no serious concessions achieved

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why doesn't the ASTI encourage some of its members to take such a case? What has the ASTI got to lose? Doesn't the ASTI have lots of money, given the dues that its members pay?

Why doesn't the ASTI encourage some of its members to take such a case? What has the ASTI got to lose? Doesn't the ASTI have lots of money, given the dues that its members pay?

I don't actually know if any ASTI member has been denied a CID due to this petty and spiteful move from the DES. Perhaps it will be at the end of this academic year before it has any effect, if it even stands that test of time. Or maybe others here know if it has actually already caused a CID refusal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

There are people in the ASTI who voted to accept LRA. There are people in the TUI who voted to reject. In each union a majority decided otherwise. Regarding the Ward report being denied to ASTI members, well that's just crying out for one single court case to prove such discrimination is illegal.

The Ward report is funny. The Protection of Employees Act gave us the four year CID, it came from EU legislation and is binding.

The Ward report afaik is a set of recommendations that were agreed and adopted by the Govt under HRA, so it's dodgy as to whether it's legally binding.

If the argument for not doing CP hours is because the agreement they came under is expired, then the same can be said for the Ward report and the Govt can now say that Ward comes under Lansdowne Road.

That's a take on it anyway. Someone who is more informed might have a different take on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Who gives a flying ****about the TUI. They always cave in first. They will no doubt.benefit if we get anything. If department cave on s and s you press advantage. Stick knife further in. GOD knows they did it to us enough times.

Many TUI members voted No; they just didn't constitute the majority of TUI membership. Furthermore, those who voted Yes may have honestly believed that it was the best deal that could be obtained. Therefore, as far as I'm concerned, there is no moral problem with TUI and INTO members also getting concessions that the ASTI might obtain (not to mention the constitutional aspect of course, i.e. the principle of equality).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement