Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASTI OctNov Action *Post 1 for usual plea for restraint Especially New Posters *

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I would have thought that the TUI are very clearly off the fence?

Having a protest about pay parity(having accepted a des that enshrines pay disparity) on the day we have a national strike about pay parity sounds very much like fence sitting to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Is a TUI reballot on LRA conceivable if enough members lobby the leadership?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I don't defend TUI very often judeboy, but they have the pay parity strike on the calendar for a lot longer than ASTI strikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Asti bom members must vote to keep schools open and have it on the record that they are not responsible for a lockout. Put pressure on parents reps on board and remind the board that denying workers access to their place of work, all in the centenary year of 1916.

But how can any school stand over having students at risk during S&S times?

maude6868 wrote: »
    Another thing, what's to stop teachers applying for the supervising positions and get paid 38 euro a day. After all we are the best people for the job.

I think this is the best solution ever. Get me a form ASAP. I won't need any garda vetting :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    I think this is the best solution ever. Get me a form ASAP. I won't need any garda vetting :)

Me too. Problem solved 😂... as in... government can't blame asti for closing schools....will have to pay the already vetted teachers and teachers finally get paid... very hard for government to disallow seeing as they're so worried about keeping schools open.. this is actually genius the more i think about it

km79 wrote: »
    How will you supervise a class if you have a class at the same time

Why would u need to?i currently do s&s during my free classes- i don't understand your question?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭maude6868

Me too. Problem solved 😂... as in... government can't blame asti for closing schools....will have to pay the already vetted teachers and teachers finally get paid... very hard for government to disallow seeing as they're so worried about keeping schools open.. this is actually genius the more i think about it

Yep and the application form is dead simple to fill, very little required. I would just love to fill in all my relevant experience and hand it in to the principal. I'm definitely more than qualified after 23 years teaching.
    http://www.education.ie/en/Education-Staff/Services/Recruitment/Temporary-Supervisor-in-a-Post-Primary-School-Application-Form.pdf

How will you supervise a class if you have a class at the same time

Well if all in-house teachers apply then it's back to normal. But you get paid... Substantially more than before too.

Interesting experiment though!

How would the dept preclude in-house teachers from applying?

What an insult that application form is to all of us. It just reeks of 'sure anyone can do that job' mentality. Relevant experience my hat.

• Advertisement

How is the list of schools so incomplete?

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Well if all in-house teachers apply then it's back to normal. But you get paid... Substantially more than before too.

Interesting experiment though!

How would the dept preclude in-house teachers from applying?

At the very least it would be another thorn in dept's side.

Well a LOT of teachers would choose not to bother with this so that would leave a lot of classes to be covered
    They would probably wish to employ some one who would be flexible enough to cover 4/5 periods in the day rather than 1 maybe 2

Anyway this is silly talk
    Do ye REALISTICALLY think this is a runner ?
    Aren't all Asti members being instructed to withdraw from s and s ? Isn't it a directive ?
    This breaks it

Yes, I was only throwing a spanner in the works, it would just be to make a point.

Well a LOT of teachers would choose not to bother with this so that would leave a lot of classes to be covered
    They would probably wish to employ some one who would be flexible enough to cover 4/5 periods in the day rather than 1 maybe 2

Aren't all Asti members being instructed to withdraw from s and s ? Isn't it a directive ?
    This breaks it

They can wish all they want if teachers apply how are they going to explain to the public that the department are closing schools because they won't employ qualified teachers willing to work for pay??? ANd would prefer to employ inexperienced people instead?

The ASTI directive is against UNPAID s&s. Can't imagine they'd have a bother with paid supervision seeing as that's what they're fighting for. A press release advising members to apply for paid s&s should result in a fair amount of sweating in the department I'd imagine.

It's an absolute tease to even wonder about it. Only way I can see it happening is if bigger union like INMO reballots.

This breaks it

Wellllll, withdraw until they get paid.

Fightback have just posted this very solution and have said that it is a stopgap plan with the ASTI blessing, now for ya.

maude6868 wrote: »
    Fightback have just posted this very solution and have said that it is a stopgap plan with the ASTI blessing, now for ya.

Brilliant!!!

They seem to have just reposted it from "Equal Pay for LPTs" campaign.

Tbh, I can't see it as a runner or a solution. If nothing else, supervisors are supposed to be available for 2 hours per day. How many teachers have 3 classes free a day? I can just see the media now - "money grabbing teachers potentially earn €190 a week for doing what they're contracted to do anyway".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Tbh, I can't see it as a runner or a solution. If nothing else, supervisors are supposed to be available for 2 hours per day. How many teachers have 3 classes free a day? I can just see the media now - "money grabbing teachers potentially earn €190 a week for doing what they're contracted to do anyway".

Those two hours would include before school, break times and after school, along with class time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Public sector workers are out of touch. Go on strike, and stay on strike.

Those two hours would include before school, break times and after school, along with class time.

You wouldn't be long adding up two hours in our place;
    30 mins before school, 15 mins break, 40 mins lunch, 15 mins after school, 40 min class that makes two hours 20 mins. I'd still have a free class to eat my lunch on two days a week.

All that being said, I do realise this is not at all likely to happen, but it does show a serious flaw in the government position.

If anything it'll show the government up. They have the money to overpay strangers but not those 'contracted' to do so.
    Ah to hell with the media. Teachers have gotten nothing but spin, abuse and misinformed dross from the almighty media.

Are all teachers Garda vetted

If memory serves me.. There was a derrogation on in-situe teachers. So garda vetting is necessary if you just started, also when moving school it's up to the new employer to process your application. Dunno how the dept will bypass that.

But there needs to be flexibility in the 2 hours also. It's not a case of a parent saying which bits and scraps of time they are available.

Would love to ask somebody legally minded how it could be possible to not pay teachers for classes that they're available to teach. They haven't paid for S&S so can't expect it to be covered.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Public sector workers are out of touch. Go on strike, and stay on strike.

Ahhh ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

I just can't imagine that gardaí, nurses and junior civil servants would resent teachers being let off the CP hours because they, unlike teachers, are allowed to do productive work in those extra hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Spiro66

I would give anything to be able to opt out of s&s. It's not the low pay, the missed coffee breaks or even the classes that always need covering every Friday. What I really want to escape is the potential court case should I someday forget or be late to the yard and God forbid some student does something silly and hurts someone. I know I won't get much support from management should that day come. I wonder will parents factor that in when they apply to be supervisors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Would love to ask somebody legally minded how it could be possible to not pay teachers for classes that they're available to teach. They haven't paid for S&S so can't expect it to be covered.

Are you talking about s/s when you say classes they're available to teach?

All teaching contracts were amended by legislation to include s/s. The money was offered as, legally, people had paid pension contributions on it so it would have to be restored.

In a way its like saying not taking that TY computer class. Your contract is for x hours plus s/s as determined by the rota.

Saying you won't do one part is like saying you won't do the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

If you had to pay for every question you asked on This forum like the cost per question in the Dail we would have all the money required for pay equalisation in one go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement