Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASTI OctNov Action *Post 1 for usual plea for restraint Especially New Posters *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I can't see any parents making a big deal about vetting. Loads of us are teaching 20+ years and they haven't bothered to vet us yet either. I presume the public at large know that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Never heard of her (and presume it wasn't Gillian Bowler). This is more like the reaction to crossing the picket that I'm thinking about.

Definitely not her, don't think it was in the news so I better not get libellous!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

I know, I laughed out loud last night when I saw that on the news. Obviously not funny for kids with SNAs but it's funny that there's all this talk of fast tracking substitute staff and they can't deal with the back log they have.

At this rate, I reckon they'll be looking for grace weeks to bring them up to the summer hols.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭amacca

I know, I laughed out loud last night when I saw that on the news. Obviously not funny for kids with SNAs but it's funny that there's all this talk of fast tracking substitute staff and they can't deal with the back log they have.

At this rate, I reckon they'll be looking for grace weeks to bring them up to the summer hols.

Wonder how cooperative the gards will be feeling when asked to fast track processing them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

amacca wrote: »
    Wonder how cooperative the gards will be feeling when asked to fast track processing them!
    They won't want their children to lose days of their education.

The particularly sensitive nature of SNA's work may be the reason it takes longer to vet their job applications.

Furthermore, it's possible that vetting of other sensitive but less urgent job applications is delayed in order to make way for the vetting for S&S posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I don't get what the big delay is with the vetting. I've been putting QQI students through the process through the ETB and they've been back in record time - 2-3 weeks. Before this it used to take months.

The delay must be at Dept level because for once it isn't the Gardaí.

They won't want their children to lose days of their education.

They may not want to do the people responsible (at least in part) for shredding their terms/conditions and probably long term prospects any favours either.

They may not want to do the people responsible (at least in part) for shredding their terms/conditions and probably long term prospects any favours either.

No garda is at risk of being made redundant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭sjms

With regard to the S&S issue:

As far as I am concerned, in any other career/employment you do not do any aspect of your job for free. For example if Jimmy was a tiler and Jimmy was asked to tile a bathroom tomorrow, for no payment, even though that payment was promised years ago. I am pretty sure that Jimmy would show his employer the two fingers and not do the tiling.

To be quite honest I think we have been very nice to give the DES September and October for free with the S&S. I just wholeheartedly hope that both ballots carry.

My school is a full-ASTI school and there seems to be a very strong yes vote coming from the staff. The school-based ballot will surely mean more than a 50% turnout - we even had teachers coming back who are on secondment to vote YES to both!

Friday will tell all - in the meantime make sure that we get as many people out on Thursday for the protest outside the Dáil, including non-ASTI members. We need to show the government and DES that there is discontent [I have come across it personally] within the TUI and INTO, who have sold out LPTs.

Thats just one possible (and not the most likely) interpretation of what I meant when I typed above.

And if you are referring to teacher at risk of being made redundant that might be another reason some solidarity might be shown.

Thats just one possible (and not the most likely) interpretation of what I meant when I typed above.

And if you are referring to teacher at risk of being made redundant that might be another reason some solidarity might be shown.

You said in post 66:

I replied that the Guards won't want their children to lose days of their education.

In reply to me you said in post 70:

I assume you were referring to the Guards in post 70.

Therefore, I said in post 71:

I'm aware of the sequence of posts but if you'll forgive my ignorance the problem is I'm not sure just what exactly your point is in post 71....how do you think no grades being at risk of being made redundant will motivate them to behave in this instance?

I'm aware of the sequence of posts but if you'll forgive my ignorance the problem is I'm not sure just what exactly your point is in post 71....how do you think no grades being at risk of being made redundant will motivate them to behave in this instance?

Of course the Guards will fast-track S&S vetting applications - regardless of their own feelings towards the government. That was my point.

Of course the Guards will fast-track S&S vetting applications - regardless of their own feelings towards the government. That was my point.

Without wishing to sidetrack

While you could well be right I still fail to see how gards not being at risk of redundancy motivates them to do this :confused:...which was your assertion in post 71

Wouldn't a threat of redundancy be just as much or more of an incentive to do something you might find distasteful ?

Without wishing to sidetrack

While you could well be right I still fail to see how gards not being at risk of redundancy motivates them to do this :confused:...which was your assertion in post 71

Wouldn't a threat of redundancy be just as much or more of an incentive to do something you might find distasteful ?
    It's not a question of being motivated to do it - it's a question of doing it in order to prevent lengthy closures of schools.

It's not a question of being motivated to do it - it's a question of doing it in order to prevent lengthy closures of schools.

were going in circles here.....what has members of the garda not being at risk of being made redundant got to do with it then?

you brought up gards not being at risk of being made redundant in connection with vetting applications being fast tracked Ill ask you again what its got to do with that process.....if it doesn't motivate them to do it or for that matter not do it .........what are you bringing it up for then? what is the point of mentioning it?

were going in circles here.....what has members of the garda not being at risk of being made redundant got to do with it then?

you brought up gards not being at risk of being made redundant in connection with vetting applications being fast tracked Ill ask you again what its got to do with that process.....if it doesn't motivate them to do it or for that matter not do it .........what are you bringing it up for then? what is the point of mentioning it?

In post 70 you said:

I assumed that you were implicitly referring to gardaí's job security when you mentioned "long term prospects". In hindsight, I guess you were probably referring to the prospects of promotion and pay-rises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Some things need to be clarified

Government Knew since September this ballot was occurring so I dont give a flying fxxx if they aint ready. I have given 6 weeks of unpaid work. They can swop in pretty quickly to cut pay . If they couldn't organise s and s their problem.
    Typical teachers on here being concerned about the Government? Length of gard a Vetting

Lots on here about CIDs-if you are in a voluntary Secondary school =your CID operates under old system no matter what union you are in. End of story. As if you were in ASTI
    Not sure about Community schools but probably Union Dependent?
    I heard those on plus 65k had salaries deducted again? Why?

Needs to be pointed out ASTI staff who normally do paid sub work can do it after vote as far as Im aware. Those not on full hours H-dips etc
    Vote will be 60% plus in favour of action

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭griffzinho

Mrwhite Re: Pay gone down for over 65K

This should explain it.

* Withdrawal of Alleviation of the FEMPI Act 2013 Pay Reductions 31. The Financial Emergency Measures in the Public Interest Act 2013 imposed pay reductions on public servants on salaries of €65,000 or greater. As set out in Circular 5/2014, alleviation measures were applied in the case of teachers who lost pensionable salary both through the FEMPI Act 2013 pay reduction and the withdrawal of the Supervision and Substitution allowance under the Haddington Road Agreement. The net effect was that the FEMPI Act pay reduction for higher earners was reduced by up to €1,769 per teacher.

* For teachers not covered by the Lansdowne Road Agreement, this alleviation will cease with effect from 1 September 2016 and the FEMPI Act 2013 pay reductions will be applied in full from that date.

http://www.asti.ie/uploads/media/0045-2016_PSA_2013-2018__HRA-LRA__and_FEMPI_2013___2015.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1013/823640-asti-ballot/

77% turnout
    80% in favor of strike action

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Noelle Moran of the CEC was on Mat Cooper just now. She was brilliant, a 100 times better than Kieran Christie who was on Newstalk just before her interview. She got our side of the story across excellently, including the fact that the government reneged on HRA. Would be great to see and hear her dealing with the media more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

Anyone would do a better job than he did. Heard the president on drivetime. He was articulate but combative. Mind you that seems to be the mood.

The result was a landslide. Grand to be in the small minority. Now all I have to do is get the coat, hat, scarf and water proof boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

🎉

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

What do we expect to happen now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The reporter on RTÉ earlier stated that TUI members etc would behind to get paid tomorrow for S&S does anyone know if that is the case? I know my wife's pay slip today didn't have S&S pay on it

Hooray for ASTI, absolutely exultant with the result, huge turnout considering anybody on leave at mo can't vote, just wish I was a member and I could be part of it properly. Great to see a strong mandate and not have to be listening to the "only X% arguments".

Hope they stick 80% in their pipes and smoke it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

I want ban on s and s to come into effect as soon as possible. Have given six weeks free already.
    As stated earlier this was on cards since September. I will be raging if we delay until November. They had enough notice

• Advertisement

I'd imagine they'll give notice tomorrow for Monday, 7 November to look more reasonable. Gives them 3.5 more weeks to get the finger out. 7 days notice wouldn't do much for PR, 14 days notice brings you to midterm so may as well give the 3.5w.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement