Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASTI OctNov Action *Post 1 for usual plea for restraint Especially New Posters *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

judeboy101 wrote: »
    CWF wrote: »
    BOM in our school have suggested to parents that they keep their kids at home on Monday because for health and safety reasons. School is open for teachers and we're expected to be available for timetabled periods. Do we still get paid? Any students that arrive will be sent home.

How will they be sent home? Asti directive means you cant get involved in s&s so who will tell them to leave?

Telling someone to leave is not getting involved in S&S. if the school is open there will be caretakers office staff etc who could all tell someone to go home if you want to take it to that extent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

The Principal can send them home, she's TUI.

So is your school open on Tuesday for strike ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭CWF

So is your school open on Tuesday for strike ?

No. We'll be picketing.

No. We'll be picketing.

Wow, I'm curious now. So your bom closes the school to students on h&s grounds but not to teachers, and closes school on Tuesday on h&s ground to students and staff?? I'm struggling to see the logic

Wow, I'm curious now. So your bom closes the school to students on h&s grounds but not to teachers, and closes school on Tuesday on h&s ground to students and staff?? I'm struggling to see the logic

You're correct about Monday. On Tuesday, the TUI teachers will have signed a form saying they are available for work,but won't be in the school because they're not passing the picket. ASTI will be at the gate picketing. Same as what happened last Thursday week.

• Advertisement

You're correct about Monday. On Tuesday, the TUI teachers will have signed a form saying they are available for work,but won't be in the school because they're not passing the picket. ASTI will be at the gate picketing. Same as what happened last Thursday week.

Have the bom told students/parents on what grounds school closed Tues? E.g. H&s ?

Have the bom told students/parents on what grounds school closed Tues? E.g. H&s ?

For Tuesday they will have received a letter mentioning health and safety, correct!

Yes parents were sent a text where they were suggested to keep their kids at home,because the bom will not be in a position to discharge its responsibilities with regard to care of students in it's charge.

So on Monday your school is safe enough for non asti staff but Tuesday it becomes unsafe for non asti staff?

So on Monday your school is safe enough for non asti staff but Tuesday it becomes unsafe for non asti staff?

On Tuesday, TUI are available for work but aren't passing the picket. Therefore the kids wouldn't be safe in the school with no teachers in there. Safety for non asti staff on any day has nothing to do with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

On Tuesday, TUI are available for work but aren't passing the picket. Therefore the kids wouldn't be safe in the school with no teachers in there. Safety for non asti staff on any day has nothing to do with it!

Emma o'Kelly just said on the 6.1 that talks will continue tomorrow but that there has been no progress in the talks yet.

• Advertisement

I don't think you get my point. Your bom is closing the school on Tuesday due to h&s so how is the h&s situation on Tuesday different than the one on Monday?

Mod edit-
    This is getting very close to trolling, get the conversation back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I can't put my finger on what's confusing you judeboy?

On Monday, ASTI teachers will be on the premises teaching all of their classes, TUI will be teaching all of their classes and also doing their allocated quota of S&S.

On Tuesday, there won't be any ASTI teachers on the premises and TUIs will not be passing the picket, so who do you suggest receives/teachers the students?

On Monday, ASTI teachers will be on the premises teaching all of their classes, TUI will be teaching all of their classes and also doing their allocated quota of S&S.

On Tuesday, there won't be any ASTI teachers on the premises and TUIs will not be passing the picket, so who do you suggest receives/teachers the students?

Ah I must have misread your original post, I thought you said students weren't in on the Monday. My bad.

I don't think you get my point. Your bom is closing the school on Tuesday due to h&s so how is the h&s situation on Tuesday different than the one on Monday?

The h&s situation is different on Monday because the teachers will be in the school but there won't be enough non asti teachers to cover the supervision and substitution. Therefore, students are being asked to stay at home.

On Tuesday, there will be no teachers in the school because of the strike so it is therefore unsafe for students to be in the building.

The h&s situation is different on Monday because the teachers will be in the school but there won't be enough non asti teachers to cover the supervision and substitution. Therefore, students are being asked to stay at home.

On Tuesday, there will be no teachers in the school because of the strike so it is therefore unsafe for students to be in the building.

My point is if the why are your bom allowing non asti staff to not pass the picket, unless they deem it unsafe to do so. A bom cant close a school to staff unless under h&s reasons. So my question remains, why is it safe for staff Monday and unsafe Tuesday ? Do you see my point? (I'm not trolling I'm genuinely interested as my bom are deciding tm Ni and I'm trying to see if your schools situation could be used to keep it open Monday)

Students aren't in on Monday in my school, bom has suggested to parents that they be kept at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

My point is if the why are your bom allowing non asti staff to not pass the picket, unless they deem it unsafe to do so. A bom cant close a school to staff unless under h&s reasons. So my question remains, why is it safe for staff Monday and unsafe Tuesday ? Do you see my point? (I'm not trolling I'm genuinely interested as my bom are deciding tm Ni and I'm trying to see if your schools situation could be used to keep it open Monday)

The school will be closed on Tuesday so TUI teachers don't need to be there.

We only have ten non asti staff members and 35 asti. On Monday, ten mustn't be enough to meet the s and s requirements.
    Again, safety only comes into it for students, the bom aren't shutting the school on Tuesday for the health and safety of the non-asti staff, they're closing it because they accept that non-asti teachers aren't going to pass the picket and therefore students would be unsafe in the building on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

In my school for the last strike day the BOM closed the school under h & s. Most of Tui didn't want to pass the picket. We signed our names on sheet to show we were available to work.

Anyway this Tuesday they have asked parents not to send their children to school but haven't officially said the school is closed. Does that mean for Tui to get paid they will need to pass picket?

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »

The gov had thrown serious money at guards don't know how LR unions will react to so much of budgeted money going to one group

The gov had thrown serious money at guards don't know how LR unions will react to so much of budgeted money going to one group

The 15 euro a holiday day is a bit laughable
    They are just making stuff up to keep it inside LRA
    The parade allowance is another

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/secondary-schools-to-close-next-week-due-to-dispute-minister-says-1.2853742

Both sides available for talks over weekend.......just get it over with and put us out if our misery. It's going one inevitable Way now

GRA defer strike action
    game over

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

km79 wrote:
    GRA defer strike action game over

Absolutely. And for not a huge amount more than was on the table, €500 plus the holiday allowance.

I wonder if all this talk of the wide gulf etc may be a bit exaggerated for effect. You know the old stories of a deal bring done at lunch time but sitting around til just before the nine o clock news to announce the resolution.

I'm not trying to be facetious but something tells me that neither the union or government want the abyss of a closure on Monday and lock out.

Either way this will be solved by this time next week I think.

feardeas wrote: »
    Absolutely. And for not a huge amount more than was on the table, €500 plus the holiday allowance.

I wonder if all this talk of the wide gulf etc may be a bit exaggerated for effect. You know the old stories of a deal bring done at lunch time but sitting around til just before the nine o clock news to announce the resolution.

I'm not trying to be facetious but something tells me that neither the union or government want the abyss of a closure on Monday and lock out.

By Sunday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

What I have read suggests Gardai will get:
    •€15 per leave day x 30 = €450

• Rent allowance put into core pay and reintroduced for new entrants - €4000 for new entrants.

• This will have a knock on effect on over time etc

• Increase of €500 in rent allowance to reflect surging rents.

• Parade time pay of 15 mins - not sure what this will be worth

All this could mean an increase in the region of €6000 a year for a new recruit.

The spin to claim all this is "inside the LRA" is sickening.

Technically if you've received notification that your school is closed on Monday are you not already in a lock out situation? Even if things change the fact your BOM sent you that letter shows the contempt they have for the goodwill you've shown the school over the years when they won't reciprocate it by giving you access to your workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

ASTI negotiators need to play hardball now. There is no reason why new teachers cannot receive similar to guards. I actually think we are in a much better situation as thr precident has been set.

Here is one for ye...........I think I am right in saying the guards stopped doing Croke Park hours last January ?????
    I ask because i have not seen ONE mention anywhere in any article about the discussions or in any statement from Ministers about the mandatory return of these hours immediately before any extra payments are received ??????

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    Here is one for ye...........I think I am right in saying the guards stopped doing Croke Park hours last January ?????
    I ask because i have not seen ONE mention anywhere in any article about the discussions or in any statement from Ministers about the mandatory return of these hours immediately before any extra payments are received ??????

We would be utter fools to give an inch now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement