Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus discussion thread - Part deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Have a similar issue, have 120 mb broadband but the PS4 gets less than 1 mb wirelessly while all other devices in the same room have a great connection.

My solution is to set the wireless connection on the laptop to shared and hook it up with an ethernet cable to the PS4. Just set up a wired connection in the PS4 settings as normal then and your laptop is effectively acting as a receiver for it.

Could get powerline adapters. Best thing I've ever bought..also got a switch so that I've more available Ethernet ports for my PS4, PC, Laptop etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,975 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I finally got around to bringing in my PS4 from where i now live (3 Mobile 4G, was 3G and unusable, now at least i can play online) into my mates house with 320Mbps Virgin. We were playing BF1 online on 1 PS4, and had my PS4 and an Xbox One downloading beside it, all over Wi-Fi.

In less time than it took for the PS4 to download Call of Duty Infinite Warfare (complete download and up to date, circa 66GB), the Xbox One downloaded Modern Warfare Remastered, Infinite Warfare, well overdue updates (ie: large) for Black Ops 3, and installed and updated Overwatch 2 hours before the PS4 downloaded IW.

So, yeah, the PS4 is crap at speeds, so i too would recommend powerlines/home plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I finally got around to bringing in my PS4 from where i now live (3 Mobile 4G, was 3G and unusable, now at least i can play online) into my mates house with 320Mbps Virgin. We were playing BF1 online on 1 PS4, and had my PS4 and an Xbox One downloading beside it, all over Wi-Fi.

In less time than it took for the PS4 to download Call of Duty Infinite Warfare (complete download and up to date, circa 66GB), the Xbox One downloaded Modern Warfare Remastered, Infinite Warfare, well overdue updates (ie: large) for Black Ops 3, and installed and updated Overwatch 2 hours before the PS4 downloaded IW.

So, yeah, the PS4 is crap at speeds, so i too would recommend powerlines/home plugs.

The PS4 does not play well with Virgin, especially the Horizon boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Xenji wrote: »

Correct...

The older launch model PS4 and the newer 1216 model seems to have worse network speeds than the new slim and Pro models, that stuff should have been there day one, just cost-cutting I'd say....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote: »
    Fieldog wrote: »
    Correct...

The older launch model PS4 and the newer 1216 model seems to have worse network speeds than the new slim and Pro models, that stuff should have been there day one, just cost-cutting I'd say....

Any reason for that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Its more the servers on the PSN side than it is the hardware, tbh.

Using wired or homeplugs is the way to go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Fieldog wrote: »
    Correct...

I have one of the new slims and I can tell ya they're muck. Have to whip out a LAN cable every time I've an update to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

For the life of me I cannot understand how they could mess up the wireless hardware. It's well established tech and surely putting in decent wireless hardware can't be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

For the life of me I cannot understand how they could mess up the wireless hardware. It's well established tech and surely putting in decent wireless hardware can't be expensive.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/522ttn/ps4_downloads_are_notoriously_slow_i_might_have/

Basically, computers accept 64k bits and send the all clear back to the server, and another 64k is sent.

Most modern computers can accept several 64k bits at once, so it might be able to handle 6400k and then send the all clear, which would be 100x64k bits, which is why downloads typically go much faster than this. The PS4 doesn't do this, so it's speed is much slower than what we're used to.

Mightn't be totally accurate and probably some dodgy terminology but I think that's about an alright assessment.

Afaik it's something Sony can patch in as opposed to a hardware limitation but I've no idea why they haven't done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Soap MacTavish

Any reason for that?

they upgraded the wifi board in the new models, definitely the pro, hence the faster download speeds, recommend the homeplugs though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

We should be finding out the next games this week, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

We should be finding out the next games this week, right?

Yep, probably Wednesday or Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Games were leaked: Tearaway Unfolded and Disc Jam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

ShaneU wrote: »

I hope that's true. Loved Tearaway on the Vita and Disc Jam looks like it could be a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

ShaneU wrote: »

Was only thinking about picking up Tearaway last week, and seen Push Square talking about Disc Jam like it could be the next Rockey League. So if this is true it'll be a good month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

For anyone not aware, this is Disk Jam. Heard Giantbomb talking about it and they liked it so that's a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Anyone else confuse Disc jam with the windjammers remake?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Disc Jam looks like great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Has anyone actually played Disc Jam, it looks pretty slow and boring from Youtube videos, I'll probably download Tearaway and play it at a later stage. Rumours had Killzone as a potential which I would have loved but I guess its not a terrible month.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Disc Jam looks fun, I'll give that a go anyway.

I've had Tearaway for a few months, was enjoying it but kept getting distracted and haven't gone back to it. Decent game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Good looking month. We'll have to get 2v2 with fellow boardsies going at some stage in Disc Jam. Looks like great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Disc Jam looks like Pong on acid, can't wait to play it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Hey, anyone have any experience dealing with Sony regarding a PSN account hack? Feckers got in, managed to bleed my PayPal dry and change the email... Can't find any emergency contact on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Sorry to hear that. Haven't had to contact them before. There's some links in Varik's post on the first page of this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057671091

• Registered Users Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

.ak wrote: »
    Hey, anyone have any experience dealing with Sony regarding a PSN account hack? Feckers got in, managed to bleed my PayPal dry and change the email... Can't find any emergency contact on their website.

Crap man, hope you can get sorted!

Playstation Ireland Support - 0818 365065

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Thanks guys

Managed to get onto live chat and resolve most of it bar the refund, another team has to investigate that... But I'd be pretty confident they'll resolve as they seemed to twig it was hacked straight away.

My own fault for not setting up 2step verification I suppose! But it's scary how Sony seems so open to attacks. Looks like the guy got into my account, setup a sub-account and gave himself controls to allow changing my email address etc. Weird thing is the amount he took from my paypal is still sitting in my wallet! Obviously I asked them to refund it back to paypal but it seems strange that he didn't use it for the subaccount...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Thanks guys

Managed to get onto live chat and resolve most of it bar the refund, another team has to investigate that... But I'd be pretty confident they'll resolve as they seemed to twig it was hacked straight away.

My own fault for not setting up 2step verification I suppose! But it's scary how Sony seems so open to attacks. Looks like the guy got into my account, setup a sub-account and gave himself controls to allow changing my email address etc. Weird thing is the amount he took from my paypal is still sitting in my wallet! Obviously I asked them to refund it back to paypal but it seems strange that he didn't use it for the subaccount...

If it involves money or some account stuff they have to do it over the phone as well.

Thing is it was you who was open to attack, there's no hacking involved. Either fishing details for your PSN account or access through you email.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Varik wrote: »
    If it involves money or some account stuff they have to do it over the phone as well.

Thing is it was you who was open to attack, there's no hacking involved. Either fishing details for your PSN account or access through you email.
    I wouldn't be as blunt as that, but it tends to be the case where the people who have compromised the account tend to use data that has been retrieved through the hacking of other services. The Yahoo! breach seems to be a massive source of these instances recently.

The lesson here, .ak, is try not to use the same login credentials for loads of different online services/accounts, as those who obtain data from a single breach might be able to use the same data to try and compromise multiple accounts unrelated to the hacked one through trial and error or following a paper trail left on your email account.

I hope you get sorted for the money, and you PSN account gets put back on track anyway, then just make sure to use 2SV as I'm sure you will from now on. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Passwords are a pain and I'm definitely guilty of using the same one or two over numerous platforms but anything with any access to card details I've now had to put in place a strong unique password and I try to top up accounts using prepaid or stored-value cards (PSN cards in this case).

Glad it looks like you're sorted .ak!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Brozy

Thanks guys

What's the 2 stage verification you didn't set up? Kinda worried I don't have one set up on my own account.

Advertisement