Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus discussion thread - Part deux

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wow, that's absolutely insane. I mean Europeans probably have Stockholm syndrome and the majority won't mind but other territories are going to go bananas about how **** they run.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

So yeah, I'm in a 50hz bubble and don't know any better but i read, compared to now, it will be like playing 17% slower, is that right?

I absolutely loved Everybody's Golf 1 back in the day but i don't think nostalgia will be kind to most of these games.

• Administrators Posts: 53,842 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

On the subject of old shooters, anyone remember playing SOCOM?

Came with the headset where you could give orders. 😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah games will be 17% slower with a squashed aspect ratio. Some games are pal optimises but it's a tiny amount.

It's very noticable at 60 fps and adds input latency but it's even worse on ps1 and 2 were a lot of games were 30, 20 or 15 fps and the slowdown makes them awful.

Will be good to see some video reviews of the classic games soon hopefully.

• Advertisement

This is a great vid showing off the new menus and games. Looks a bit messy and hopefully Europe and NA get a much better catalogue. He also tests the pal version and says it's very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭jj880

Clowns. Looks like PS Plus Essential for me until Jan 2023 if thats true. Should be a flat rate for everyone to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,914 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I know how anti consumer Sony can be but i even find it hard to believe that when it's implemented in Europe and NA, when you are upgrading from your current Plus to premium that's it's gonna say " oh you got your current sub for 45 instead of 60, you have to pay more to upgrade". "Oh you paid full price for your current sub, your upgrade option will be a bit cheaper".

That would be unnecessarily **** out of Sony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Sony as predicted not covering themselves with glory here with the subs not been upgraded....

I have game pass myself on my Series X, there's nothing here for me to consider with the Sony offerings, most of the games I have or have had, and I definitely have no interest in playing pal versions of PS1 game's...

Used to mod the PS1 back in the day for 60hz versions of Tekken alone and buy scart cables...

No way am I paying a privilege to play them again at 50hz, a decent emulator or hack my PS classic instead will do same job if nostalgia gets the better of me...

Hopefully something just got lost in translation. I saw another snippet saying that if you stacked several months/years of PS+ before the switch, you'd have to pay full whack if you wanted to upgrade a tier. In other words, pay the monthly difference x the number of months you had amassed in one go. I don't believe that for a second, so I'm wondering if people on social media are just misreporting stuff (which, let's be honest, is par for the course).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

No that is correct. It was clearly stated in the blog that you will be charged the difference between the normal sub and the new tier for all remaining time on the current sub.

The real bs is charging an extra fee on people who got discounted subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Sony really pulling out all the stops this gen to be as much of a **** company as possible.

Next they be putting the games up to €90 and telling us it's inflation

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I expected a simple price per day left on my sub charge. Days left/365 x 40 euro OR 60 euro would be fine with me. Then a yearly charge.

Its a strange way to treat loyal customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Lol. Even I can't defend that one. Good thing I just let it renew yearly. Just renewed 2 weeks ago, and Now due to renew next month. Wonder how that'll work out.

Looking forward to a few of those PS5 games, but have zero interest in the pre-PS4 games so Extra will do me fine, no need to upgrade to anything I'm guessing. Using the poor Hong Kongese to test out the reaction to it. I can see it changed a bit before the US/EU, but it wouldn't surprise me if Sony just went nah, that's the way it is. Most people will give out and pay anyway. Some may just stay on the lower level. Some will not renew. Sony prefers the most!

Suppose it's extra sour because of all the ways you can get Gamepass Ultimate for pennies through Gold deals and GPU upgrade thingy. But that's not something I can see lasting for too much longer. I'd say much like PS+, GP will eventually be hard to get a deal on, because they have to start making money off it at some point! Just my prediction though, based on nothing but opinion. I'm going to be taking advantage of that upgrade next month, so can't be saying anything. Then again, I'm only doing it to have it, haven't turned on the XS in a few weeks I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,097 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Switch Online did an upgrade path where you paid the difference depending on how many days you have left. But the expansion pack was much cheaper.

Will they let us know in advance how our accounts will be affected or will we just find out on the day?

Had a sconce on the desktop site, seems if you have both Plus and Now you'll automatically be moved to Premium. That's a balls. Was hoping there would be an option, because the Extra tier is basically what I have now and don't want to change. Guess we'll find out on June 22/23.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure you get Premium full stop if you currently have Now. If you have both you'll have Premium at no additional cost for the duration of your longest remaining subscription.

I'll see if the demos are worth the extra. If not, I'll downgrade next year then. I suppose I could just cancel the Now renewal...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

My "Now" expires 2 weeks before the migration.

If I don't re-sub at full €60, I'll be put on the lowest tier, but if I do re-sub I'll be put on the highest tier, but I'll also have to pay €20 extra as my "Plus" sub was 33% off?

Is that right? 🤔

No, if your Now renews it will only cost the €60. If it doesn't it seems you'll need to pay the €20 plus the upgrade charge for the remainder of your subscription to Extra or Premium.

Cool, thanks for the breakdown 😁

Might be worth the re-sub then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Now is basically gone and you can't get subs for it anymore. I can't see your sub being renewed.

Seen a person's checkout page in HK$. They have 20 years ps plus stacked. HK$8240 to upgrade or stay as they are 😳.

Also people calling for an option to covert ps plus to upper tier. So person above could just convert to 10 years of highest tier. Doubt that will happen but they need to change something.

That's almost 1000 euro which sounds about right if the upgrade is as follows.

You buy 1 year of PS Plus for 60 euro a day before the new service. Then that either converts to PS Plus Essential or you can pay another 60 euro to upgrade to Premium as that is 120 euro a year. You do that for 20 years and it's 1200 euro. Shyte there isn't a reduced cost to upgrade it for loyal plus customers but it seems you only convert straight to premium if you have PS Now stacked.

Now, as for the discounted subs, if you bought PS Plus for 45 euro (which most of us have) and Sony want you to pay 75 euro to upgrade to Premium, then that is the most scummy thing Sony have possibly ever done. They're the ones who discount it in the first place, not like we're getting dodgy plus subscriptions from 3rd parties. If this is still the case by the time it gets to Euro and NA release, they will have some amount of backlash on their hands.

To top off, I've read multiple posts on SM this morning where people are defending Sony with "damn right, that's what you get for trying to play the system". I mean, I get there will always be fanboys but Jesus.

If I turn on my auto-renew for Now, will it not re-up on June 7th?

Or is it gone gone? 🤨

• Advertisement

I havent seen your scenario anywhere else as yet.

Leave auto-renew on and see what happens. Not long to wait.

EDIT: just saw this. No problems with Now renewing but they had auto-renew on since before new PS tiers were announced.

Are you able to turn auto-renew on at this stage? I would imagine probably not.

Post edited by jj880 on

Advertisement