Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus discussion thread - Part deux

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

So in other words the price of Xbox Live has remained the same for 14 years even though the service and its offering has vastly improved in that time frame.

Thanks for making that point for me :)

So, why is PlayStation Plus which is only about 6-7 years old is getting price increases? the answer is "because they can"

Things like this will never change as long as the PlayStation user base keep defending such actions.

In fairness, I honestly don't mind paying an extra 10 euro for a year. Why, because I get value out of it. I get discounts for being a PSPlus member which saved me well over 10euro in a year. I can understand someone been annoyed with it if they are only using it for playing online. But I get a host of new games every month for free aswell so its a non story to me. Prices increase on items all the time. Subscriptions arent immune from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,048 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I have never had an issue with the PSN. Download speeds are good and I can't remember the last time there was a service outage. I installed BF1 on both PS4 and Xone at different times and it installed on the PS4 far quicker.

Plenty of people who say they have to pause and restart downloads because they crawl to a stop (especially around the launch of AAA games). I can't say I've had it on PS because I've a relatively small library but it does seem to crop up.

My brother pays the Plus subscription so I won't be seeing any increase :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Microsoft online service is much stronger than Sony's already, less hacks, less accounts been stolen, less service outages (in fairness both are fairly low now a days), and download times seem quicker on Live.

You can also get Live for as low as €35 because the subs are not region locked.

Woah hold your horsies there man, its not Sony that are getting hacked (They had 2 actual hacks if memory serves me right, i know xbox was also down the same time that psn was down after one of the hacks so both companies are not without fault) its services where people use the same login details so a bit of personal responsibility is needed for that. I have not been hacked on the PSN network in all my years and the reason for that is I don't use the same details as logins for other websites.

Downloads are quicker on xbox and thats a fact that cannot be denied. Sony have to improve that aspect but because it doesnt impact on online games I am not too pushed about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

If they would just split the dam sub into online and online+games i would never post in here again!!

So you heard it here first,if your sick of my posts get harassing Sony:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

So in other words the price of Xbox Live has remained the same for 14 years even though the service and its offering has vastly improved in that time frame.

So, why is PlayStation Plus which is only about 6-7 years old is getting price increases? the answer is "because they can"

Things like this will never change as long as the PlayStation user base keep defending such actions.

Prices of everything go up. It's how the economy works. Do you guys act like this every time you walk around Tesco?

• Advertisement

Plenty of people who say they have to pause and restart downloads because they crawl to a stop (especially around the launch of AAA games). I can't say I've had it on PS because I've a relatively small library but it does seem to crop up.

My brother pays the Plus subscription so I won't be seeing any increase :D

Plenty of people have poor internet connections are seem to think that they can stream, download and browse at the same time and expect nothing to be hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Pay peanuts, get monkeys!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Downloads are quicker on xbox and thats a fact that cannot be denied. Sony have to improve that aspect but because it doesnt impact on online games I am not too pushed about it.

Download speeds are pretty great now on PSN, to be fair. I downloaded Until Dawn last week in 40 minutes. A similar sized PC download might take less time and I've no reason to doubt that an XBox could download quicker but that was an overnight download on PSN a couple of years ago.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Download speeds are pretty great now on PSN, to be fair. I downloaded Until Dawn last week in 40 minutes. A similar sized PC download might take less time and I've no reason to doubt that an XBox could download quicker but that was an overnight download on PSN a couple of years ago.

Yes they have improved but by no means are they fully caught up in the download department yet :D Sony also need to get rid of the oh you need double the disk space before you can install crap aswell.

Woah hold your horsies there man, its not Sony that are getting hacked (They had 2 actual hacks if memory serves me right, i know xbox was also down the same time that psn was down after one of the hacks so both companies are not without fault) its services where people use the same login details so a bit of personal responsibility is needed for that. I have not been hacked on the PSN network in all my years and the reason for that is I don't use the same details as logins for other websites.

I think Sony's short fall was the lack of Two Stage Auth. which they've rightly introduced in the meantime.

The download speeds don't affect me because I usually set it to download over night.

The only negative (beside having the thumbstick in the wrong place :pac:) is that you need Plus to use cloud saves.

I'm glad I got a PS4 and it's getting a fair bit of use :)

• Advertisement

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Prices of everything go up. It's how the economy works. Do you guys act like this every time you walk around Tesco?

Your breaking down a complex thing into a very simple narrative.

Things are not as simple as prices go up. Inflation is a much more complex issue than that.

I think Sony's short fall was the lack of Two Stage Auth. which they've rightly introduced in the meantime.

The download speeds don't affect me because I usually set it to download over night.

The only negative (beside having the thumbstick in the wrong place :pac:) is that you need Plus to use cloud saves.

I'm glad I got a PS4 and it's getting a fair bit of use :)

The Nacon controller should sort you out there ;)

Yes the cloud saves is also a pain but you can also save to usb which is handy enough. Its not perfect but Sony does have to pay for the hardware that stores all these saves :)

Sony also need to get rid of the oh you need double the disk space before you can install crap aswell.

Is that why I had to delete a game the other day to download Bloodborne :(

Yeah, its horrific but deleting bloodborne is no loss. I cant even get through the first section of that game :(

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

Where does one go to find out when their PS+ subscription ends? Can it be done from the web interface or is it only from the console?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Yeah, psn game downloads are encrypted. As such the game needs to be downloaded and installed. Once the download and install is complete the encrypted file is deleted.

Yeah, psn game downloads are encrypted. As such the game needs to be downloaded and installed. Once the download and install is complete the encrypted file is deleted.

Plus it has to download the entire lot and run a check against your installed version to ensure nothing is corrupted.

nevelator wrote: »
    Where does one go to find out when their PS+ subscription ends? Can it be done from the web interface or is it only from the console?

I would imagine its un der the my account section on the psn site.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I had a look earlier, seems like they redesigned the web interface (god knows why) on the website so I think you have to check it on your console now. Maybe I just couldn't see it :confused:

Yeah, its horrific but deleting bloodborne is no loss. I cant even get through the first section of that game :(

No I installed Bloodborne... Absolutely smashing game and one of the reasons I bought the PS4 a few months ago :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

No I installed Bloodborne... Absolutely smashing game and one of the reasons I bought the PS4 a few months ago :)

Noooo emmet... your logic and reason and non partisan opinions are showing :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

EoinHef wrote:
    Your the only one resorting childish posting,good man.

This is more of it the dripping tone of condensention, yet your the angel here.

I'll say it again I am happy to debate an issue I have no interest in arguing an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/cam/media/media-list.action

The desktop version of this page will display the expiry date beside all your ps+ games.

Noooo emmet... your logic and reason and non partisan opinions are showing :o

I like games. If they are on PS or Xbox it doesn't bother me.

I don't smoke and don't drink as much anymore so I'm in a position to save a bit every week. I then use that money for gaming :) might get a 2DS tomorrow and next up is an X and then maybe a switch next year :)

jcd5971 wrote: »
    This is more of it the dripping tone of condensention, yet your the angel here.

I'll say it again I am happy to debate an issue I have no interest in arguing an issue.

Your the one attaching tone to my posts not me,thats your problem not mine.

I cant help it if you feel im being intentionally condesending when im not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Sure the WhatsApp group will be fairly lit up later when the boyos get home ;)

It's "fairly lit up" most days to be honest, us "boyos" have plenty to be discussing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

There's nothing quiet as refreshing as when we get a Failsafe post regarding the private corporation Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Always gives me a good break from a thread for a few days, as any sort of healthy debate becomes a $hit slinging match and an exercise in "how far can a troll troll, before being infracted for trolling"

Sure the WhatsApp group will be fairly lit up later when the boyos get home

Ya see I stayed just in the right side of calling him out, you did not and now everyone's favorite mod is gonna nail you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I really wish people would stop dropping the line: You don't have to buy it if you don't want it.

I do want it.
    I already have it.
    And I want to keep getting it at the price that it has been for 7 years already.

Oh but the private company has increased their price, you must put up or shut up!
    What about the 3rd option? Question why I'm being fcuked over to pay more for a service, without any tangible increase in value returned?

Nobody questions things any more, and that's why $ony will get away with this price increase :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I really wish people would stop dropping the line: You don't have to buy it if you don't want it.

I do want it.
    I already have it.
    And I want to keep getting it at the price that it has been for 7 years already.

Oh but the private company has increased their price, you must put up or shut up!
    What about the 3rd option? Question why I'm being fcuked over to pay more for a service, without any tangible increase in value returned?

Nobody questions things any more, and that's why $ony will get away with this price increase :mad:

Most people get what you're saying but it's still value for money, it costs less about the same or slighty more than the price of a new game, I pay that amount to play online and the fact that I get free games is a bonus. There hasn't been an increase in years but costs are escaluting everywhere so it's only practical.

Edit: cause people :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

dudeeile wrote: »
    Most people get what you're saying but it's still value for money, it costs less than the price of a new game, I pay that amount to play online and the fact that I get free games is a bonus. There hasn't been an increase in years but costs are escaluting everywhere so it's only practical.

You can get most new games in Argos on launch (or a day later) for €50-€60. If anything the price of gaming is coming down.

Advertisement