Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus discussion thread - Part deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

dudeeile wrote: »
    Most people get what you're saying but it's still value for money, it costs less than the price of a new game, I pay that amount to play online and the fact that I get free games is a bonus. There hasn't been an increase in years but costs are escaluting everywhere so it's only practical.

I get what you're saying, but it's total speculation. :)
    Sony did not say any of this in their communication with their subs.

The email boils down to: "Hey, you have to pay more in future. If you don't like it, here's how to cancel."

It's a slap in the face :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Most people get what you're saying but it's still value for money, it costs less than the price of a new game, I pay that amount to play online and the fact that I get free games is a bonus. There hasn't been an increase in years but costs are escaluting everywhere so it's only practical.

In fairness its only 2 less pints a year, thats good for your health too so in effect Sony are actually helping you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I get what you're saying, but it's total speculation. :)
    Sony did not say any of this in their communication with their subs.

The email boils down to: "Hey, you have to pay more in future. If you don't like it, here's how to cancel."

It's a slap in the face :(

IN ****ING G...E...N...E...R...A...L!

IN ****ING G...E...N...E...R...A...L!

:D

You're still not questioning why the increase has occurred.
    You're just saying that you have seen other things increase in price, so you are not surprised now when the same thing has happened for PS+.

I contend that you should question why this is happening.

Anything would probably satiate me. But there's no explanation at all!
    "Hey peeps, our server costs have doubled over the last 5 years and we need to charge you more."
    "Hi folks, triple A devs want more money to include their games in our free games roster, so we need to tack on a few quid to the sub price."
    "Well lads, turns out ISPs want to charge us more, as net neutrality broke down and they are fleecing us, so we'll also fleece you :P"

It looks to the end user to be greed, and that's why I'm annoyed!

:D

You're still not questioning why the increase has occurred.
    You're just saying that you have seen other things increase in price, so you are not surprised now when the same thing has happened for PS+.

I contend that you should question why this is happening.

Anything would probably satiate me. But there's no explanation at all!
    "Hey peeps, our server costs have doubled over the last 5 years and we need to charge you more."
    "Hi folks, triple A devs want more money to include their games in our free games roster, so we need to tack on a few quid to the sub price."
    "Well lads, turns out ISPs want to charge us more, as net neutrality broke down and they are fleecing us, so we'll also fleece you :P"

It looks to the end user to be greed, and that's why I'm annoyed!

Don't need to question, my sub is paid up for a few more years and I'm okay with the price hike:)

• Advertisement

Don't need to question, my sub is paid up for a few more years and I'm okay with the price hike:)

So that's one for future dudeeile to worry about? :pac:

I'm not okay with the price hike, so I'll be back in 2-3 years to see if you're still happy about it :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

So that's one for future dudeeile to worry about? :pac:

I'm not okay with the price hike, so I'll be back in 2-3 years to see if you're still happy about it :mad:

Well you could buy at the cheaper price now and stack them so you still have a few years at cheaper prices :)

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Well you could buy at the cheaper price now and stack them so you still have a few years at cheaper prices :)

Oh you'd like that , wouldn't you? :D

Oh it'll still be 20% dearer in 36 months time if I stacked it until 2020. Going 2 - 3 years down the line doesn't change the fact that the price has increased. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

If some people are so upset over a 1 euro increase I genuinely feel pity for the situation they find themselves in, I suppose its easy to sit here in judgment and call these people prima-donna's, moaners, whingers, or in one posters case a enormous ****ing troll.

However upon reflection I think it's better to post constructively and try to help out my fellow boardsie's even those who find a 1 euro a month fee extortionate.

to that end i offer this olive-branch : https://www.mabs.ie/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Jesus there are some load of diehard Sony fanboys on here, If Sony put up the price by 50% they would still be on here arguing that it's great value and don't you dare say anything bad about them!
    I now know why we are getting some decent AAA titles last month and this month as they can say oh look at the great games we are giving you now after years of crappy 8 Bit looking Indy games!
    Also don't make me laugh about how great the servers are, I have the top package with Virgin and the games download extremely slow and you always have to pause and Un-pause them to get them to download at a decent speed for a few minutes and do the same again it's like a bad version of bit torrent! I have an XBox One as well and the games come down in a couple of minutes .
    I am paid up to December 2018 and I hope they run a cheap deal like they did a few weeks back but that cheap deal will probably be €50 now if they run it at all!

• Advertisement

I'm not a troll just because I disagree with you dude.
    I have a grievance with Sony over a price increase on a service they provide.
    And you come along and say it doesn't matter who increases what, as long as my rent doesn't go up!
    It's spurious logic, and I called you out on it.

Sorry if I upset you!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

EoinHef wrote: »
    Your breaking down a complex thing into a very simple narrative.

Things are not as simple as prices go up. Inflation is a much more complex issue than that.

Yes it is. But do you not accept that at some point the price was going to go up? It hasn't done so in years but things likes wages, etc, will have gone up. It isn't like they do this every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

jonnycivic wrote: »

Which is what I'm going to do. They've given us five weeks notice. Anyone paid monthly will get a payday in there to buy a 12 month card if they want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Yes it is. But do you not accept that at some point the price was going to go up? It hasn't done so in years but things likes wages, etc, will have gone up. It isn't like they do this every year.

Yeah things do go up,usually you get a reason or a value add though. In this case we got neither.

With this we just got "btw your sub is now 20% more expensive".

I can see how someone who gets real value from the games side wouldnt really be that bothered. Its most likely to be people like me who spend like 90% of there time playing MP games with friends that would have a problem with it.

Can i absorb the cost? Yes
    Does it leave a bad taste? Yes

My current sub runs till december 2018 so ill be online for that at least. After that who knows,maybe inflation will have hit 20% by then and i wont mind paying it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Beefy78 wrote: »

And hardware, hosting costs will have gone down in that time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Clicking into this thread for the first time today like..

wu9nTcx.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭dunworth1

sadly I see this as Sony abusing its market share to prop up profits.

while bringing it up to 60 is in line with competitor it's still sad to see

I would be very interested to see if we see anything from the 200million plus potential extra revenue for sony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

dunworth1 wrote: »
    sadly I see this as Sony abusing its market share to prop up profits.

while bringing it up to 60 is in line with competitor it's still sad to see

I would be very interested to see if we see anything from the 200million plus potential extra revenue for sony

There'll be free blowjobs with each subscription. Hooray for Sony!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I read through the email from PlayStation to see if they stated the reasoning behind the 20% increase. Which they didn't.

Thats a real slap in the face to PSN subscribers. Not even using a sentence or two to justify why a price hike was needed. Just saying "hey, we are doing this, so deal with it" poor form.

I read through the email from PlayStation to see if they stated the reasoning behind the 20% increase. Which they didn't.

Thats a real slap in the face to PSN subscribers. Not even using a sentence or two to justify why a price hike was needed. Just saying "hey, we are doing this, so deal with it" poor form.

If I thought it would keep some of the lemons here off psn and out of this thread I'd pay double :)

• Advertisement

i'm confused, as i dont like being charged extra for anything... but if dunworth failsafe and ibfoxer think its a bad idea it must be good.

jcd5971 wrote: »
    i'm confused, as i dont like being charged extra for anything... but if dunworth failsafe and ibfoxer think its a bad idea it must be good.

It's not i'm afraid. Sony want €10 extra without having to pretend to be extra productive as per usual union pay claims :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Well...... given how I haven’t come on here and thrown my toys out of the pram, or in fact said sfa about it, namecheck is a bit saucy. How as ever, here we go:

I don’t like the idea of paying €10 more for a PSN sub (which I have maintained despite being without a physical console for a while) on top of the original €49.99. Couple that with the €35 or so for XBL and the maintained WOW and SWTOR subs and I feel slightly better placed than most to make a judgement on value.

You want the harsh truth- it’s not worth it. Hell its not worth the €49.99, but if I want to play with the 3 friends that own a PS4 then needs must. And if Microsoft came along and threw another tenner on top I’d probably say that’s not worth it either, negating factor being I get more value from my Xbox than my PS4, as I have more time and money invested in the platform. But I do believe that the difference is that while Sony will likely pocket the extra as profits, Microsoft would take it and reinvest in the infrastructure, which is already miles ahead (remember, I have both consoles, and I can judge this pretty easily)- I have often had issues staying connected to PSN, randomly dropping out of games, which seldom if ever happens on XBL- best example is Destiny which was nightmare fuel for a while to stay connected to servers.

But this, of course, is just my opinion, and I’m certainly not looking to start a fanboy war, as I’m waaaaayyyy too Danny Glover for that sh!t, so I’ll leave it at this- it’s a bit much to tack on another tenner, giving no reason for same, and the PS Plus games of late do come across as awfully suspect, so if it goes back to el cheapo gameo freebies, I will be neither shocked or surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

That's the end of my gaming with Sony then so, until their consoles are two or three gens old and can be picked up for pennies.

Never thought the service was worth €50, the only game I play online is Overwatch so that's going into the Steam basket shortly.

Guess I'll buy a quarterly sub and just play through all the decent looking PS+ games I've been hoarding.

As many have already said, for me its based on principle. Doesn't matter what the service is, if there's a 20% jump for no reason, I'm going to stop using that service unless I have zero choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭dunworth1

people are taking some people opinions on this way too close to the heart

it's an optional online gaming service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

I have no problem paying the increase price it will lead to a better quality service from Sony and hopefully some better free ps plus games in the future.

I'm bowing out of this one, it's just going in circles basically half the ps people in here are ranting and raving over principle of 20%hike.

The other half is pointing out it's a euro asin a neglibible amount of money

Then throw in a few Xbox lads to stir the ****.

Pointless carrying on in here at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I'm bowing out of this one, it's just going in circles basically half the ps people in here are ranting and raving over principle of 20%hike.

The other half is pointing out it's a euro asin a neglibible amount of money

Then throw in a few Xbox lads to stir the ****.

Pointless carrying on in here at this stage.

Says your man with such beauts as linking mabs and actually naming the posters who he doesnt want in the thread baiting them,stay classy JCD,stay classy.

And yes that one is dripping with condesention.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

EoinHef wrote: »
    Says your man with such beauts as linking mabs and actually naming the posters who he doesnt want in the thread baiting them,stay classy JCD,stay classy.

And yes that one is dripping with condesention.....

Insert clap gif here

• Advertisement

EoinHef wrote:

I'm in no way a saint in this thread I can hold my hands up there, however I've baited nobody I've said out clearly what I think wether for good or ill.

I'm glad you think the mabs.ie link was a beaut I hope it helped you out with finding that euro a month you seem so upset over, so you know silver linings and all.

Advertisement