Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus discussion thread - Part deux

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Ouch. HMV have put up the cost of buying PSN credit from €0.49 to €2.49....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

whiterebel wrote: »

That's a bit annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Seems to have gone up for to that for all payments for phone credit. Pity they don't do €50 psn cards as the fee would be a bit better to swallow the fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,850 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Anyone get the recent far cry 4 offer, I still haven't received my code for the game?

What offer is that?

Edit: nevermind, see it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

quinnd6 wrote: »
    PS Plus is such a ripoff at 60 euros.
    Where do you guys buy your PS Plus?
    I'd never pay Sony 60 bloody euros for the privilege of playing online.
    You can't even keep any of the games.
    Most of the games they rent out to you are rubbish or you already have them and then when the sub runs out you end up with nothing. I hate that. Anyway just wondering where you get your subs and where is the cheapest?

Hey Quinn, I see you’re in for your monthly moan poem :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Waited until today because I thought they might remove the fee for Valentines like they did at Christmas :rolleyes: Unfortunately they seem to have a monopoly, I don't think there's an alternative out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

ShaneU wrote: »
    Waited until today because I thought they might remove the fee for Valentines like they did at Christmas :rolleyes: Unfortunately they seem to have a monopoly, I don't think there's an alternative out there.

Nope its either buygamecredit or hmvgamecredit and both are operated by the same company.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,083 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That's exactly why I hate games like Rime, Journey etc. People talk them up as if they are masterpieces, when in reality they are little more than pretentious walking simulators with some nice looking graphics.

Same as yourself. Didn't get the love of Journey, but I don't get these artsy style anything, be it games, film, tv, they're just not for me. I did finish Journey, but only because it was short.

There should be a new sticker on games that are more art than game, so I can avoid them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Same as yourself. Didn't get the love of Journey, but I don't get these artsy style anything, be it games, film, tv, they're just not for me. I did finish Journey, but only because it was short.

There should be a new sticker on games that are more art than game, so I can avoid them.

That’s fair enough but you’re missing out by labelling anything different as “artsy”.

That’s fair enough but you’re missing out by labelling anything different as “artsy”.

Not anything different, but Journey, Rime and other such 'experience' games would mostly be artsy, and that's a general term. Some games are for some people, others are not. These types of games, along with turn based and Final Fantasy fighting style games, are not for me!

I'll give them a go, just to be sure, but 99.9/100 times I won't like it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

That's exactly why I hate games like Rime, Journey etc. People talk them up as if they are masterpieces, when in reality they are little more than pretentious walking simulators with some nice looking graphics.

This

• Registered Users Posts: 26,404 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Different strikes I guess.

Thought there was plenty of puzzles in Rime, Limbo, Ico SOTC, etc.

Everybody's gone to the rapture would be a genuine walking simulator but it told an excellent story imo.

noodler wrote: »
    Different strikes I guess.

Thought there was plenty of puzzles in Rime, Limbo, Ico SOTC, etc.

Everybody's gone to the rapture would be a genuine walking simulator but it told an excellent story imo.

Ah, but Ico and SotC are actual games, with proper, regular gaming mechanics, combat, exploration, story, a reason to go on. Journey was basically push forward. Rime is a bit better, it's got puzzles, but still no reason, imo, to keep going.

But as you said, different strokes for different folks. Someone above made a good point, if you don't get anything extra from playing as you do from watching, what's the point. Again, personal opinion.

Ah, but Ico and SotC are actual games, with proper, regular gaming mechanics, combat, exploration, story, a reason to go on. Journey was basically push forward. Rime is a bit better, it's got puzzles, but still no reason, imo, to keep going.

But as you said, different strokes for different folks. Someone above made a good point, if you don't get anything extra from playing as you do from watching, what's the point. Again, personal opinion.

I completely disagree with you on Rime.

If anything ICO had a longer lead in time (before gameplay really kicked in).

You aren't waiting more than 20mins for Rime's first puzzle.

I guess the point is the story, its one thing watching it, another experiencing it.

The telltale games I'd see in this regard. Loved the 1st few but after that you realise choice is an illusion and you'd be better served just watching the story and not pressing buttons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

if you don't get anything extra from playing as you do from watching, what's the point.

Apologies if this drags the thread off topic a bit - hey, discussion is good :) - but this criticism always makes me twitch (as do the words 'artsy' and 'pretentious' :pac:). I play a lot of narrative-based games, including some that would be far deeper down the rabbit hole of actual art & experimental games than any of the ones being mentioned here. I have yet to encounter one that would remotely offer the same experience being watched rather than played*.

Games are designed to be interactive, even if they're light on gameplay systems in the traditional sense. Instead, they use interactivity to more literally immerse the player in a world than you'd get in something like a film. In Gone Home - often an example used in discussions of this sort, and vaguely on topic because it was a PS+ title at one stage ;) - the game is built around the player poking about, exploring the environment, indulging their curiosity to actively uncover a story. Passively engaging with that is a fundamentally different experience - when a streamer, for example, looks up when you'd look down, that's the essence of the thing shattered.

I played an iOS 'game' called Florence the other night. I hate 'it's not a game' arguments, but I say 'game' in this case as it is the rare sort that could be classified as an interactive comic or something. Nonetheless, even though its interactions are basic as they come, the designers manage to communicate actual meaning and theme by little things like asking you to put a speech bubble together by connecting a handful of shapes together. That's on the extreme end of the interactivity scale, but even in that case you're getting a fundamentally different sort of experience than you would if you were reading a traditional comic or passively watching it unfold.

So yes, nobody is obliged to like any game - there's lots of narrative or atmosphere-heavy games I'm ambivalent towards, and I've heard plenty of intelligent critiques of such titles one way or the other. But whenever you watch a game, whether it's something systems-heavy like Bloodborne or systems-light like Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, you're fundamentally removing the essential ingredient of what makes them what they are - and you will never, ever get the genuine experience as a result :)

*actually, I think the farcically awful Azura's Wrath might be the only exception I'd offer here, which was a glorified eight-hour QTE experience, and it can **** right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,850 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Agreed with the watching/playing bit. Gone home, the walking dead, what remains of Edith Finch, etc, i got so much out of them from me poking around discovering the story. I tried watching a game on twitch before and got completely bored. I need to be interacting with it so for me, just because it's a 'walking simulator' doesn't mean you might as well just watch instead of play. Also, those games stuck with me waaaaay longer than 'games' where you have to climb a hundred towers. Gimme a good interactive story over a shallow shooty shooty anyday. Saying that, there's always a place for those games to turn the mind off and go mad for a while in a sandbox as designed.

Finished Rime.

Dont think I needed that level of feels at half 12 at night.

Christ that was sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Same, finished it earlier too. Wow

I probably should have clarified that I don't watch games, but I don't think playing Journey instead of watching it gave me anything extra. I wanted it to end just so it was over, and I was holding out in the hopes that it would become what most other people were saying it was. Just didn't click for me.

I did finish Forma8 last night, and is similar to Journey insofar as it gives you a cut scene and off you go. Learn everything yourself, no help, and not a single word spoken, but was infinitely better than Journey or the bit of Rime I played. It engaged me like the others didn't. So I'm no opposed to these games, but some of them don't click with me like Forma8 did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

noodler wrote: »
    Finished Rime.

Dont think I needed that level of feels at half 12 at night.

Christ that was sad.
    How long is Time roughly? I'm much more interested in shorter contained games these days, just don't have the time for gaming like I used to

• Registered Users Posts: 30 NineEggs

DeSelby83 wrote:
    How long is Time roughly? I'm much more interested in shorter contained games these days, just don't have the time for gaming like I used to

I finished in 5-6 hrs over a weekend. And that's with spending a bit extra time going for collectibles and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

DeSelby83 wrote: »

About 15 billion years so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Morpork wrote: »
    About 15 billion years so far.

Yes but time wasn't invented until man came along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Rime :)
    Just stuck it on with no expectations and no idea what it was about. Absolutely loved every bit of it. I haven’t enjoyed a game as much in such a long time.

Not finding any leaks for PS+ next month, due to be announced tomorrow, which is strange as there is normally a good leak by this stage. All I found online were suggestions it will be the best in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Not finding any leaks for PS+ next month, due to be announced tomorrow, which is strange as there is normally a good leak by this stage. All I found online were suggestions it will be the best in ages.

Which means it's probably going to be terrible.

Finished Knack last week. Played about a chapter a day over two weeks and while it was never going to set the world on fire, it's not as terrible as I thought it might be. It really has the feel of a PS2 game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Knack 2 on the PS+ next month, you heard it here first.

van_beano wrote: »
    Knack 2 on the PS+ next month, you heard it here first.

Ah now, Sony have to follow their own rules, same as the first one so we'll get Knack 2 in 2022!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,041 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

"You guys wanted Knack so much we're making it our free game AGAIN this month so you can download it all over again!

Calling it now.

Advertisement