Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus discussion thread - Part deux

Options

Comments

After 70 million consoles being sold shouldn't they be adding more value to their services rather than less. It can't be killing them to provide PS3 & PS Vita titles each month.

Is it adding value, do people use it that much? Most gamers would prefer another PS4 title over one for a last gen console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

They haven't given anything but scutter for the PS3 in over a year and the PS Vita games are only any good if you're into JRPGs and visual novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

After 70 million consoles being sold shouldn't they be adding more value to their services rather than less.

After 70 million console war posts being made shouldn't you be adding more objectivity to the discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I can see EA Access on the PS4 sooner rather than later, or else see it included as part of some extended PSN subscription service.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-said-no-to-ps4-ea-access-program-because-its-/1100-6421390/
    "We evaluated the EA Access subscription offering and decided that it does not bring the kind of value PlayStation customers have come to expect," a Sony representative told GameSpot in a statement originally obtained by Game Informer.

I doubt it will come to PlayStation. They'll actively block it just to make sure they squeeze more money out of the playerbase.

Is it adding value, do people use it that much? Most gamers would prefer another PS4 title over one for a last gen console.

Why not both. Why not reward the player base. PlayStation have been doing insanely well over the last few years so I don't understand why they are penalising their player base rather than rewarding them.

• Advertisement

I doubt it will come to PlayStation. They'll actively block it just to make sure they squeeze more money out of the playerbase.

Great that you can see the future. I like EA access but it wouldn't make me bit a console to play it. Any of the games on it I want to play I'll just buy and not have to worry then about keeping my sub up. Case in point, I bought Black last month as I want to ensure that I own it rather than rely on a service that it's there.
    Why not both. Why not reward the player base. PlayStation have been doing insanely well over the last few years so I don't understand why they are penalising their player base rather than rewarding them.

Penalising, what a load of crap. It's funny how each month the most played game from Games with Gold isn't the backward compatible titles but rather the current gen title. After twelve years, anyone with a PS3 that they still turn on has most likely got all the games they want. You're just using this as a mother thick to use to have a go at Sony, if MS issued a similar statement I feel that your response would be very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If they're saying we will only be getting 2 PS4 titles and that's it, then they would want to be good because this month, for example, we're getting 5 with 3 being cross buy games. And it's been the same in previous months

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

gotta be honest i dont think i have played either a ps3 or xbox 360 backwards compatible game.... nintendo is where its at lads they are killing it...

great haul of ps4 games next month long may it continue

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

gotta be honest i dont think i have played either a ps3 or xbox 360 backwards compatible game.... nintendo is where its at lads they are killing it...

great haul of ps4 games next month long may it continue

Nintendo are robbing people left right and centre case in point is Doom it can’t be bought on PS4 fro €12 but it’s €60-65 on the switch which is scandalous stuff

dunworth1 wrote:
    Nintendo are robbing people left right and centre case in point is Doom it can’t be bought on PS4 fro €12 but it’s €60-65 on the switch which is scandalous stuff

Not Nintendo who set that price.

• Advertisement

Not Nintendo who set that price.

Doesn’t matter who sets the price it’s on Nintendo’s platform

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Anybody over the age of 15 that engages in console wars really needs to have a word with themselves.

dunworth1 wrote:
    Doesn’t matter who sets the price it’s on Nintendo’s platform

That is utter nonsense, Nintendo are not responsible for how publishers price games. I take it that you hold Sony and MS responsible when GameStop charge €80 for a game that cane be got for £40 on amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Anybody over the age of 15 that engages in console wars really needs to have a word with themselves.

The Nintendo vs Sega battles from the 90’s have left everlasting scars for us in the mid-30’s onwards, sniff. No surrender.

That is utter nonsense, Nintendo are not responsible for how publishers price games. I take it that you hold Sony and MS responsible when GameStop charge €80 for a game that cane be got for £40 on amazon.

not nonsense gamers are getting ripped off

why are they not responsible? it displays their Brand Name will only work on their closed system.

nintendo shouldn't allow them to sell it at an almost 600% increase compared to competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,815 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Firstly, they're free games. They are not penalising their player base by no longer offering certain free games for their last gen console or their handheld console which the majority of their overall player base don't own or play anyway.

Secondly, they quite likely have the data to justify their decision, in that the amount of people still downloading the PS3 games is that minimal, added to the saturation of games already given away for the console means that ceasing the PS3 games will likely have little to no effect for the vast majority of their user base.

Lastly, who do you think pays the developers/publishers for the games if they're given away for free? The company who is giving them away for free. Sony could use the money used for the PS3 and Vita games and funnel that in to offering better PS4 games for free, which is something that would be of far better benefit and appeal given the vast majority of their regular user base is on PS4.

dunworth1 wrote:
    why are they not responsible? it displays their Brand Name will only work on their closed system.

dunworth1 wrote:
    not nonsense gamers are getting ripped off

dunworth1 wrote:
    nintendo shouldn't allow them to sell it at an almost 600% increase compared to competitors.

Your grasping at straws here to try and a go at Nintendo. If Doom goes up in price to €20 on the PS4 will you be equally disgusted?

Penn wrote: »

Lastly, who do you think pays the developers/publishers for the games if they're given away for free? The company who is giving them away for free. Sony could use the money used for the PS3 and Vita games and funnel that in to offering better PS4 games for free, which is something that would be of far better benefit and appeal given the vast majority of their regular user base is on PS4.

yes they could use the extra cash but how likely is that? they've already upped the ps+ price recently with little really noticeable benefit we still have big service outages and the games do seem to have improved all that much.

while I do get that these days there's probably not much point in having the ps3 games since there's no backwards compatibility on the ps4 to play them
    i would have liked to see them stating that they would be adding an extra ps4 game a month or something

dunworth1 wrote: »
    yes they could use the extra cash but how likely is that? they've already upped the ps+ price recently with little really noticeable benefit we still have big service outages and the games do seem to have improved all that much.

while I do get that these days there's probably not much point in having the ps3 games since there's no backwards compatibility on the ps4 to play them
    i would have liked to see them stating that they would be adding an extra ps4 game a month or something

It's too early to determine if the money will be used to give away better games, but given the games next month (Bloodborne and Ratchet & Clank), there's no reason to suspect it won't yet.

Overall, there is simply no need for the over-dramatic reaction from some to this news. Hell I'm surprised they even kept offering PS3 games this long.

Surely they'll have to do something to justify wanting €60 for a sub now :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Surely they'll have to do something to justify wanting €60 for a sub now :confused:

Now or in 1 year?

Firstly, they're free games. They are not penalising their player base by no longer offering certain free games for their last gen console or their handheld console which the majority of their overall player base don't own or play anyway.

Since they are removing PS3 & Vita games they are penalising their customers.

PSN Plus is a service for all 3 devices. From March 2019 there will still be 2 PS4 games but they simply wont give any PS3 and Vita games away.

Just last year PSN+ got a 25% price hike. It seems the better PlayStation do the more they take away from the players.
    Secondly, they quite likely have the data to justify their decision, in that the amount of people still downloading the PS3 games is that minimal, added to the saturation of games already given away for the console means that ceasing the PS3 games will likely have little to no effect for the vast majority of their user base.

I am guessing its more financial data they are looking at.

If there are less people downloading on PS3 shouldn't it be cheaper for Playstation to do giveaway PS3 games every month so why not continue to offer it and market your service has being pro-gamers and highlight the added value.

PSN Now has hundreds of PS3 titles so there is still much demand for PS3 gaming.

After selling 70 million consoles and hiking the PSN+ subscription price they should be well able to afford a quality bump in PSN Plus titles without killing their PS3 & PS Vita games each month.

Playstation have done phenomenal well in the last few years thanks to their customers. They should be rewarding gamers instead of penalising them.

MS penalised customers for a decade by charging for online and offering no free games. At least when Sony charged they gave gamers something. I doubt many of the 70 million PS4 owners fire up their PS3 and most who still play PS3 as their main console don't have PS+ as it's not needed to play online. Plenty of PS4 owners have been calling for an end to PS3 and Vita titles and better PS4 titles. Sony appear to be listening but they still are in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

MS penalised customers for a decade by charging for online and offering no free games. At least when Sony charged they gave gamers something. I doubt many of the 70 million PS4 owners fire up their PS3 and most who still play PS3 as their main console don't have PS+ as it's not needed to play online. Plenty of PS4 owners have been calling for an end to PS3 and Vita titles and better PS4 titles. Sony appear to be listening but they still are in the wrong.

Lets not forget that a Gold Subscription was also a requirement for using streaming services like Netflix, Sky Go and Crunchyroll prior to summer 2014.

Ms provided an almost rock solid online service which was second to none
    for that, the money was worth it.

soy may have brought in the free games first but the quality of the online service is still to be desired even though it has improved bit by bit over the last few years

a prime example is when it was down for 3 or 4 days recently not really the level of service i expet for my €60 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I don't remember it being shut down, when was that?

dunworth1 wrote:
    a prime example is when it was down for 3 or 4 days recently not really the level of service i expet for my €60 euro

Had no issues in years, played almost every evening the past four months and only issue I had was friends list not loading.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I don't remember it being shut down, when was that?

It wasn't, but became extremely unstable causing millions to be unable to log in.

Had no issues in years, played almost every evening the past four months and only issue I had was friends list not loading.

You must be extremely lucky as there’s been four significant outages so far this year alone

“This is already the fourth significant PSN outage so far in 2018. The service went offline for most users around the world twice at the end of January — once January 23 and again on January 26. Earlier this month, the network had issues on February 8, and now again today (22 of February). Sony has not provided any details into what is causing PSN to have so many troubles.”

https://venturebeat.com/2018/02/22/playstation-network-is-down-again-sony-has-engineers-working-on-it/

• Advertisement

You cannot penalise someone by no longer giving something away for free that you previously used to. You've simply stopped that free offer.

Advertisement