Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on animal charities

• 04-10-2016 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I need some good advice. A friend of mine has indicated that she wishes to leave all her estate (property and a considerable amount of money) to animal welfare in Ireland. She has a (confusing) list of more than 300 sanctuaries, societies, rescues, associations and while she wants to help as many groups as possible, she is worried that some groups might not use the money in the best possible way.

Are there any animal charities to be avoided? Which are the really worthwhile ones who would use the money wisely? Any genuine advice would be welcome.

P.S: She doesn't intend dying yet so there is no mad rush!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I will drop you a private message, dochara.

It would be advisable that your friend volunteers at a number of charities to have an idea of what they are like, without letting them know her intent.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Everyone's opinion of what makes an animal charity reputable varies. My advice when donating money to any charity is to choose those that have helped someone you know.

With mod hat on, please be aware that discussing rescues is not permitted here under the forum charter but I am sure you will get a few PMs with suggestions and advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

1)
    Do NOT ever rely on what you see on facebook. If I were your friend, I would have someone check into every single animal charity in person and review their operations.
    2) where there is smoke, there's fire
    3) Some charities have open books. Examine those into the finest details
    5) I will be sending you a PM with ONE charity to be avoided at all costs. And I can prove why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

I can't emphasis enough what other posters here have said re volunteering with a charity first to see what they are like in person and also not taking facebook or other PR related items on face value. I have some experience with a number of animal charities and how effective they are can vary considerably. Often people mean well setting them up but could do with more experienced people especially in dealing with the finance side to spend donations to best effect and get value for money. Best of luck to you and your friend in finding the right charities to help out, I'm sure posters here will send you in the right directions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Your first stop should be the Charities Regulatory Authority website, where you can check if a rescue is a registered charity, and therefore bound by rules.

Next stop should be Benefacts.ie which pulls information from the CRA website and also individual organisation published information such as accounts, whether they have signed up to things like the governance code or responsible fundraising code. Avoid Charities who have not done so, or who don't know what they are if you ask.

Then after that it's worth visiting or volunteering with the groups you have shortlisted. Ask questions about their governance, insurance, etc. Good Charities will be more than happy to answer those questions. Some will have a specific legacy program for exactly your friends situation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement