Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ideal car for learner?

• 04-10-2016 10:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭

A friend of mine is about to start driving here and I'd like some peoples ideas and opinions. She is a non-EU citizen and has recently sat and passed her Theroy test, she is an economic migrant to Ireland, living and working here legally in a professional role. She is 28 yo.

She is planning to buy a second hand car, manual later this month, after getting her Drivers Permit issued; she has a €3,000 budget for the car and is hoping to go no older than a 2006.

I'm thinking for insurance implications she'd be wanting something small engined, definitely nothing bigger than 1.4 I was thinking.

She will be commuting HQDC not motorway so she will be able to drive there legally; she has a housemate who is planning to accompany her as they work on nearby streets; she can act as her licensed accompanied driver as she has his Irish licence but does not have a car as he is on a far lower wage to this lady.

Any ideas or recommendations? especially about Insurance, she is a non-EU national but has her Work Visa and has been living here since January and the recent bus strikes and getting soaking waiting for buses has finally driven her to buy her own car. She has free provided parking in her job also.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yaris 1.0
    Might struggle getting an 06 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is a bit of a mix thread but I've moved it to Buying for recommendations about cars.

For insurance she can contact these people for quotes. Get some regs from adverts and try them on their online quote apps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

Thanks Biko, I wasn't exactly sure where to put it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Insurance will be setting her back 4k+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

The Yaris is the go to car but there are other options. I passed my test in March and set my sights on getting a Fiat Panda. From an insurance perspective they saw no difference between a 1.1 or a 1.4. I went with a 2005 1.1 in the end as it was just €1500, had 80,000 km on the clock and an extensive service history.
    There's great value to be had, they're easy to drive and inexpensive to maintain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Another option is a Ford Fiesta 1.2 ltr. Very reliable, easy to drive, not too bad for insurance. They tend to be cheaper than a Yaris of the same year. I was a 26 yr old learner last year (since passed test) and bought a 2005 Fiesta for about €2500. Insurance was €1600. Insurance is now almost half that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

I've had a Toyota Yaris in the past, and they are a great economical car in every way. Another small Toyota is Aygo, which I don't have any experience with personally, but I'd consider one if I had to watch my pennies. I hopped into carzone and they do have both around your pals budget.

Aygo here - http://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Aygo-1.0-5DR-AURA/6027673106254217505

Yaris here for an extra €150 - http://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Yaris-NG-1.0L-TERRA-5DR/3708253188614884821

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think her biggest challenge will be getting a half reasonable insurance quote even on a car like a Yaris.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think her biggest challenge will be getting a half reasonable insurance quote even on a car like a Yaris.

She's on good money so not as much of an issue for her as the rest of us. Still she plans to go bangernomics and then buy a new car when the restrictions are lifted a year after passing the test.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

She's on good money so not as much of an issue for her as the rest of us. Still she plans to go bangernomics and then buy a new car when the restrictions are lifted a year after passing the test.

What?

• Advertisement

What?

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Licensed-Drivers/Driving-licence/Novice-Plates-Introduction/

Actually I'm wrong it's two years after the test, even after passing the test your restricted for two years and must display N plates and have a lower penalty points limit etc. Her plan is to buy a brand new car once those requirements are lifted. Although I don't see many N plates on the road so I assume it's being ignored by lots of people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There is no restrictions on the license, just a reduced amount of maximum penalty points for the first 2 years. The only restrictions are on permits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

A 1.4 will be far too big for a learner. What she needs is a 1.0. Maybe a siecento or Ka or Aygo or Lupo or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Jodotman

How is a 1.4L too big for a learner? Absoloute nonsense.

I started in a 1.6L.

Jodotman wrote: »

I started in a 1.6L.

Don't you know? To get a licence to drive any-sized engine car you should never driver anything bigger than a 1.1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Jodotman wrote: »

I started in a 1.6L.

It is if you want insurance is this day and age..

But dont even think of buying any car till you have gotten quotes for a number of cars. The insurance is the biggest issue she will face.

Advertisement