Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking To Start A Cycling Group

Options
  • 04-10-2016 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

I've previously put up a thread looking for a cycling club/group in the Celbridge area and thanks to everyone who posted advice. Unfortunately one thing or another none of the suggestions work for me. Either when their spins are, the speed or distance.

I don't want to step on anyone's toes(clubs/groups) but If there is anyone else that just wants to get out on the bike during the week for spins but are in the same boat as me and nothing suits them..distance and speed can be determined before we meet. Please post and hopefully we can get something going for the winter.

I've also emailed Cycling Ireland and hopefully they will give some tips/advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭alexinkildare

No one interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I think this is a common problem that starters face: no group is quite perfect enough for you in terms of pace, distance, age or some other factor. True, if you are only free during the week and not at all over Saturday or Sunday, it is a bit of aproblem, but the reality is that even in any club or 'group' on the road there is a wide range of abilities and add long as you are prepared to try to improve on the above, you will fit in perfectly in due course.

Most clubs have 2-3, maybe more, groups going out over a weekend and if you join up with the starter groups - who will typically do 50km at 22-24kmph - you will be able to improve and move up as you do so. You may have to put in some graft on your own if you are not yet at that level but, with being able to take turns and rest when not on the front, if you can do 20kmph over 35-40km when out solo, you will be able to stick in with a group at the faster pace.

The social side of cycling is great, give it a chance...

Good luck

Thanks.

I'm currently at 25kmph or so on a long spin (50+ km) so im ok there. Unfortunatly the only groups I can find that winter train seem to be either long distance or 30+kmph and at weekends so dosnt suit me.
    I did get to mondello park last night and although I wasnt in a group I totally enjoyed cycling safe on the track. I do love the bike and hence I'm really trying to get something going for myself and people like me.
    I don't mind getting out on my own but a bit of company will always get me further and more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Blackgrape

I'm in a Celbridge whatsapp group. They meet regularly and spin at your pace. PM a poster here called Brian? and hell add you

Think I'm in that group. Just havn't been able to get out with them. I'll PM Brian anyway. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Blackgrape

It is the same group -- the cyclepaths?

Thats the one

Gonna go with Maynooth Cycling Club and hopefully get out for the odd spin with Kinnegad and Celbridge Cycling Clubs.
    Thanks to everyone for their help and advice.

Advertisement