Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Subaru Legacy ownership advice

• 04-10-2016 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm thinking of buying a 2007/2008 Subaru Legacy estate in the next few weeks.

At the moment I'm edging on the 2.0 petrol version over the diesel. For a few reasons my commute to work is 12 miles each way, prefer petrol cars, read that early diesel Subaru's gave issues, €3K for petrol model versus €8K for diesel model is a big factor.

The budget preview so far:
    -Tax - €710
    NCT - €55
    Insurance (not sure yet, not certain of group category)
    Petrol - I'm presuming mid 30's on motorway, early twenties in town (€65 fill for 350miles)
    Servicing What should I expect to pay?
    Slush fund needed? no DPF to worry about.

Do you think it would be a money pit, or a better investment than what you could lose on a 10K-15K car in depreciation...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Manual or auto?
    Manual has a DMF to smoothen it out I think. So if a clutch was due it could be saucy.
    The 2.0 NA (160hp?) model's of a certain vintage suffered from a flatspot at certain rpm on irish petrol/dishwater or so I've heard. I don't know if the 08 still suffered that or if it was a previous version.

I'd check the insurance first mind you...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Motorwaymiles

Manual, I think auto would really kill MPG for me.

Just checked insurance on a Legacy Estate and it's doesn't cause an increase (7 year NCB, full licence, etc)

I wonder have any other boarders LPG'd a Legacy? might not be worth the cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Manual, I think auto would really kill MPG for me.

Just checked insurance on a Legacy Estate and it's doesn't cause an increase (7 year NCB, full licence, etc)

I wonder have any other boarders LPG'd a Legacy? might not be worth the cost.

Not a chance for the miles you're doing.

Yeah I don't think the LPG conversion would be worthwhile either as decent conversions aren't cheap.

Decided to view a Legacy today, it was an '06 model which is older than what I'm after as I'd prefer a 07/08 newer shape model but will buy the right car on condition & comprehensive service history rather than year.

The car itself was a nice spec car and colour combination, the service history had plenty of gaps which disappointed. The miles were slightly on the high side not something that would bother me with a decent service history, wear to drivers seat and steering wheel let the interior down. Car started fine from cold but I didn't think the engine idle was as smooth as it should probably sound. I didn't test drive the car as it wasn't for me it could have been bought for close to 2K I'd say.

The search continues........links to possible Legacy more than welcome, preferably estates!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

links to possible Legacy more than welcome, preferably estates!
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/subaru-legacy-2-0-estate-panoramic-roof/12604738

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

There was a legacy in the Bangernomics thread recently with LPG, and it was mentioned that LPG is not good for these engines. Valve seat wear or something,.. I think Honest John has something on it too.

Not your ornery onager

I've heard that some don't run right on petrol in Ireland, good to hear the warning regarding LPG. Suppose it means also to stay away from Applegreen and find a Texaco garage.

I would like this car, colour is okay nicer in darker colours. Seems to be in nice condition I'm not sure if the engine bay could be described as honest or just neglected. Some of the nuts/bolts in engine bay look to have surface rust. Being a UK car I'd like to see the chassis for rust. Although I don't think this could be in for the right money? with starting price, sterling, cost of transport and VRT.

The car is September '08, would that mean if imported it would have to be taxed on CO2 rates or could it still be slipped into CC rates?

Just seen I can't load a link because of being a new user.

It's an '08 silver Legacy Estate on Pistonheads priced at £4,499 - BTW snag is also it's auto.

www . pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/subaru/legacy/subaru-legacy-2-0-ren-sports-tourer-awd-satnav-leather/6192130

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭walus

Check if the DMF is not on its way. These Legacys suffer from a squealing noise from DMF on the take off. Pull the hand brake, put in in 1st and gently try to drive away. At the point of clutch biting when the car picks itself up you may hear that noise. If you do factor in a clutch job. A flexi-flywheel conversion is recommended by Subaru for these cases and such kit can be purchased. If you look up my treads you will read all about it. Clutches don't last on this cars long. Also check if the gearbox and differential oil was replaced as specified in the service manual.

I had a 2004 model. Great car especially after doing the clutch conversion at 120k kilometres. It does not suffer from hesitation as the face lifted model does. Not a quick car but I was always finding myself looking for reasons to jump into it and drive somewhere. I have a full service manual for it if you decided to go for it.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

Thanks for your reply Walus - very helpful. I had completely forgot about diff oil change.

Could I ask what MPG and miles out of tank you got? if you can remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭walus

Thanks for your reply Walus - very helpful. I had completely forgot about diff oil change.

Could I ask what MPG and miles out of tank you got? if you can remember.

It used to be 8.5-8.8l per 100 km for fast motorway driving, 10-11l for city. On country roads it would do around 7.5l.
    In the older vehicles the flanges on the exhaust pipes rust badly. Check them out before buying.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

Advertisement