Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

59th Anniversary of the launch of Sputnik 1

Options
  • 04-10-2016 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭

Well I'm a big fan of marking the anniversaries of big moments in space exploration. Today, October the 4th marks the 59th anniversary of the launch of sputnik 1.

I know this wasn't manned spaceflight but it was the first artificial thing humans sent out of the planet. I mean I don't think the legacy and impact of this can be dismissed. I mean had the Soviet Union not done this how would human space flight have developed and evolved ?

Anyway happy birthday sputnik 1.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It's hard to believe that the Space Age is nearing 60 years. Wow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    know this wasn't manned spaceflight but it was the first artificial thing humans sent out of the planet. I mean I don't think the legacy and impact of this can be dismissed. I mean had the Soviet Union not done this how would human space flight have developed and evolved ?
    Yes , because both sides were developing ICBM's.

It's even possible that without the space race the US Air Force could have developed the Dynasoar reusable shuttle by the 1970's. Instead money was thrown at NASA. Then again the US has thrown away a lot of working hardware and has spent most of the time since the 1970's re-inventing it.

The R7 rocket family has seen a lot of competitors come and go. The first Korolev Cross was on 15 May 1957. There will be another one the week after next. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_MS-02

• Registered Users Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭josip

How normal is it for the commander not to have any previous experience but the 2 flight engineers have been up before?
    I thought it would have been similar to pilots where you serve your time as a co-pilot before becoming the captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

josip wrote: »
    How normal is it for the commander not to have any previous experience but the 2 flight engineers have been up before?
    I thought it would have been similar to pilots where you serve your time as a co-pilot before becoming the captain.

In what context do you ask this question?

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    In what context do you ask this question?

Captain's link above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

josip wrote: »
    Captain's link above
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_MS-02
    Soyuz MS-02 is a Soyuz spaceflight that was planned for a 23 September 2016 launch, but because of technical difficulties it will now launch on 19 October 2016. It will transport three members of the Expedition 49 crew to the International Space Station. MS-02 will be the 131st flight of a Soyuz spacecraft. The crew will consist of a Russian commander and flight engineer, as well as an American flight engineer.

The Commander's 1st flight into space, the other crew members 2nd flight into space. Russian Commander, Russian Rocket, Russian decision.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Russian Commander, Russian Rocket, Russian decision.
    And America pays the bill because guess who threw away manned space flight capability more than once...

The Commander's 1st flight into space, the other crew members 2nd flight into space. Russian Commander, Russian Rocket, Russian decision.

Yes that's what I read from Captain's link and why I asked the question.
    How usual is that, that it's the commander's first time up?
    Are commanders trained from day 1 to be commanders and never have to serve a stint as a flight engineer?
    Are all other occupants referred to as flight engineers even if they're a pure scientist going to grow lettuce on the ISS?

Advertisement