Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to access Xbox Live using a bridged connection from eduroam?

Options
  • 05-10-2016 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

So after learning last week that Xbox Live, steam, and commerical VPN's were banned on UCD wireless, I had resigned myself to the fact that I was never playing any online gaming until I basically had my own place and paid for my own internet. This is because my internet at home is complete and utter garbage and fiber optic internet won't be arriving for at least another year.

However there is hope. I recently discovered eduroam, which I have connected to successfully and steam games work fine. I'm more interested in getting Xbox Live though. I learned that you can bridge internet from a laptop to an xbox, but I'm wondering if xbox live will be blocked if I try to use my laptop connected to eduroam. Steam works fine, so I see no reason why xbox live would be blocked. Eduroam can't be connected to on xbox because you need to sign in, so hopefully that is the only barrier. I have a strong feeling though that xbox live will be blocked because UCD are assholes, and the concept of actually having fast internet for once in my life seems too good to be true.

Is there anyone who has done this, or can provide some help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Psychology Study

It works for psn. I'm using ostoto. Anyone know whether I can get faster speed though?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CaptainNivek

Excellent. What speeds are you getting now?

With eduroam on pc i'm getting 63Mbps up 40Mbps down. On ps4 tethered to my pc through eduroam im getting 6Mbps up 1 or 2 Mbps down

With eduroam on pc i'm getting 63Mbps up 40Mbps down. On ps4 tethered to my pc through eduroam im getting 6Mbps up 1 or 2 Mbps down

Does that mean you have really high ping on ps4?

my friends tell me I'm not lagging. I don't have any game that measures ping by number but I got 5/5 bars on tlou factions.

• Advertisement

my friends tell me I'm not lagging. I don't have any game that measures ping by number but I got 5/5 bars on tlou factions.

I measured about 14mbps up and 10mbps down on eduroam, if I connect it to my Xbox and the speed drops like yours did, I'm worried it might become terrible.

Advertisement