Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasps at night... in October?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I had an underground wasp nest in my garden. I turned a water hose on it for a week non stop.....and they kept coming. I dug it out in the winter.
    This year I have another underground nest in a different part of the garden. I will wait until it gets cold and do another dig.

i hate to see your water bill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Mid November and there are still wasps in the garden. Must be the mild weather confusing them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Mid November and there are still wasps in the garden. Must be the mild weather confusing them?

They are not confused, they are just not dead yet.

Don't recall ever seeing so many around the garden in mid Nov. Thought it might be the milder weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Saw one yesterday. How long would a wasp live if you kept it as a "pet", and fed it sugar/honey? Would it over winter?

Not, going to do it, but would it be possible?

• Advertisement

Like this?

Like this?

Definitely not :pac:

Don't recall ever seeing so many around the garden in mid Nov. Thought it might be the milder weather.

It is the mild weather has resulted in them not falling prey to the cold.

Saw one yesterday. How long would a wasp live if you kept it as a "pet", and fed it sugar/honey? Would it over winter?

Not, going to do it, but would it be possible?

22 to 40 days, so don't get too attached.

22 to 40 days, so don't get too attached.

What gets them then, if not cold and food. Wasp old age?

• Advertisement

What gets them then, if not cold and food. Wasp old age?

More or less , yes.

Honey bees (workers) die naturally after 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

More or less , yes.

Heavens you could wax very philosophical over that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

More or less , yes.

Only in the summer - the winter population lives for 6 months.

bpmurray wrote: »
    Only in the summer - the winter population lives for 6 months.

True enough, non working Honey Bees live 4 to 6 months solely within the hive and were probably a poor example.

Worker Bumble Bees live between 14 and 40 days with only Queens overwintering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Kat1170 wrote: »
    You sure about that ? On a number of occasions over the years I have seen what I'm quite sure were Hornets.

Look like Wasps on steroids, about 2 inches long. I never hung around long enough to see if they were aggressive.

If you see them again, whip out your phone and take a snap, and send it to TCD's science department and maybe to Derek Mooney in RTE (he's in charge of science and nature programmes) with a request for ID.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

We had a problem with hornets back in the 90s.
    We were living in rented accommodation, top floor of a 5 story building, and these things that looked like big brown wasps had us tormented.
    Mostly at night though, I recall being half asleep and hearing this heavy buzz, awoke to find this monster hovering around.
    We told the landlord but nothing was done and they just seemed to stop arriving after a couple of weeks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As for wasps at night.
    It was early December in Chez Ciderman.
    The previous year we had a conifer in a pot in the sunroom as a little Christmas tree, about 3ft tall, after the season was over the tree, pot and all, went on the patio outside.
    The following year the tree, now a little bigger, was requested by she who must be obeyed to be reinstated in the sunroom, so I did my duty, hauling that heavy thing in, up over the step, and popped it into position, this was around 16:00....
    At around 20:00 we had found and killed about 20 wasps, buzzing around the room, into the adjacent kitchen.
    Each batch of wasps nobbled just seemed to result in more turning up, and with a further 10 I realised it was the bloody tree! There was a wasps nest in there and the heat in the room had awoken them!
    So I put on a heavy coat and gloves, covered my face and grabbed the tree, turfing it out the doors into the frigid night air, with buzzing emanating from inside the tree.
    Doors shut and let winter do it's thing, never had a live tree in the house again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Chuchote wrote: »
    If you see them again, whip out your phone and take a snap, and send it to TCD's science department and maybe to Derek Mooney in RTE (he's in charge of science and nature programmes) with a request for ID.

I've only seen them on 3-4 occasions when cutting up old dead fallen trees. I have to admit to hightailing it asap. Only ever saw one or two at a time, but that was enough.

Advertisement