Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Compressor cfm

• 05-10-2016 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi, I am thinking of purchasing a 1" air gun for removing large wheel nuts, my compressor is a 16 cfm and the air gun I'm looking at requires 40cfm will this compressor operate this gun, am i judging this the wrong way , any help would be appreciated,
    Paul.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

It will power it but not nearly at its full power, you need a very beefy compressor + lines and fittings to the the potential out of a 1" gun. Best off with a 1/2 or 3/4 I/R titanium series, up to 1500 lbs/ft on offer which is more than many of the lesser 1" guns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭gavman1

The cheapest way around this is a battery powered gun.you would have a good one bought by the time ye buy a compressor with enough cfm and all the air fittings and filters and air line.its not cheep.plus ye won't have a stupid hose lying on the ground to trip over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

I have a 1" air gun myself, best thing ever for stubborn crank bolts, driveshaft nuts and tractor rims :)

I operate it with a 100 Litre tank with a 11CFM compressor. Standard regulator and will give a lot of hammering power before the tank has to charge up again

My advice is to use it in conjunction with as large of a tank as you can get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

I have a 1" air gun myself, best thing ever for stubborn crank bolts, driveshaft nuts and tractor rims :)

I operate it with a 100 Litre tank with a 11CFM compressor. Standard regulator and will give a lot of hammering power before the tank has to charge up again

My advice is to use it in conjunction with as large of a tank as you can get

I would agree here , the size of the tank is very important . The bigger the better.
    We run inch air guns on 150/200 litre tanks both of which can be under pressure if doing a lot of work
    It also depends on the amount of work you do with the inch air gun, whether you have time to wait for the pressure to come up.
    An inch air gun needs at least 75psi to work correctly. Most compressers are set to cut out at in at 80 and out at 115psi.
    My 200ltr runs to 140psi so holds out a lot better and has more power as a result.

My choice for inch air guns is chicago pneumatic. Great air guns which cause very little problems. its what most tyre places use near us.
    Ingersoll rand would be a close second ,
    I see a lot of lads buy cheap new air guns for 150/200 at markets thinking they are doing great. Its a false economy , they dont give out the power they state and its only a matter of time til they give trouble or break. Normally the dog clutch wears or breaks.
    Then parts arent available.

The one other thing is they do need the bigger high flow fittings. if you use the standard pcl air fittings you starve the air gun of air.

Advertisement