Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closed Account - Now contacted by Debt Collectors

Options
  • 05-10-2016 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

I closed my Eir Home Phone and Broadband account last July. I received my final bill in July and on the 4th of August I contacted Customer Support via WebChat to get an explanation of the breakdown of this bill and asking them to confirm that my balance was now paid in full and the account closed. I have a copy of the transcript here:

Me: Is that the final payment or is there more to come?
    Navya: No. This is your final bill.

Then on the 5th of August I got a text to say that a payment of €181.82 was required to resume services. I would have just ignored it but I have a second eir account in my business and wasn't sure which account this related to. When I called I was told that it was for the account I had closed and was in error.

At the start of September I received a bill for €23.27 with no explanation of what it was for. As soon as my account was closed I was locked out of MyEir and couldn't check bills etc.

I again got in touch on the webchat and was told the following:

Navya: I have checked your account and as you confirmed it's ceased. My apologies you got the bill with €23.27. Wrongly it has sent. I will make sure you will not receive any kind of notifications regarding this ceased account in future.

Then this morning I receive a text from aFS (debt collection agency) asking me to call them urgently. They gave no other details. I called them to see what it was about and was told I have an outstanding balance with Eir of over €200 which was passed on to them. I told the guy on the phone I had no contract with them, this is an error by Eir and not to contact me again.

I have checked my business account and this is all paid up to date so this definitely relates to my previous home account.

To say I am pissed off would be an understatement. Since I closed my account I have wasted hours of my time chasing up false bills and waiting for confirmation from your agents that they were in error. And then I receive a cryptic message from a debt collection agency this morning causing me undue stress.

Needless to say if this is not resolved immediately I will be passing this onto Comreg. And when my business contract is finished I will be closing that account and switching to a different provider.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

littlejp wrote: »
    I closed my Eir Home Phone and Broadband account last July. I received my final bill in July and on the 4th of August I contacted Customer Support via WebChat to get an explanation of the breakdown of this bill and asking them to confirm that my balance was now paid in full and the account closed. I have a copy of the transcript here:

Me: Is that the final payment or is there more to come?
    Navya: No. This is your final bill.

Then on the 5th of August I got a text to say that a payment of €181.82 was required to resume services. I would have just ignored it but I have a second eir account in my business and wasn't sure which account this related to. When I called I was told that it was for the account I had closed and was in error.

At the start of September I received a bill for €23.27 with no explanation of what it was for. As soon as my account was closed I was locked out of MyEir and couldn't check bills etc.

I again got in touch on the webchat and was told the following:

Navya: I have checked your account and as you confirmed it's ceased. My apologies you got the bill with €23.27. Wrongly it has sent. I will make sure you will not receive any kind of notifications regarding this ceased account in future.

Then this morning I receive a text from aFS (debt collection agency) asking me to call them urgently. They gave no other details. I called them to see what it was about and was told I have an outstanding balance with Eir of over €200 which was passed on to them. I told the guy on the phone I had no contract with them, this is an error by Eir and not to contact me again.

I have checked my business account and this is all paid up to date so this definitely relates to my previous home account.

To say I am pissed off would be an understatement. Since I closed my account I have wasted hours of my time chasing up false bills and waiting for confirmation from your agents that they were in error. And then I receive a cryptic message from a debt collection agency this morning causing me undue stress.

Needless to say if this is not resolved immediately I will be passing this onto Comreg. And when my business contract is finished I will be closing that account and switching to a different provider.
    Hi  littlejp,

I'm sorry to hear this, can you PM me your account number and I'll take a look into this.

-Pamela

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Hi Pamela,

I PM'd you last night. I got another call from aFS this morning. I need this sorted out asap.

Hi Pamela,

I PM'd you last night. I got another call from aFS this morning. I need this sorted out asap.
    No problem littlejp, I'll look into this now.

-Pamela 

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

I just want to update here for anyone that finds themselves in a similar situation.
    I have been dealing with Pamela via PM but have found out all I can through her. I have now lodged a complain on the Eir website.

I closed my account in July and contacted Eir 3 times to ensure the account was closed and fully paid. Each time I did I was told it was and that any communication I received to the contrary was in error.
    Pamela tells me now that their was a charge of less than €5 on my account in the middle of August which was returned to Eir unpaid. I received no communication or bill in relation to this and this "unpaid debt" along with all of my personal details was passed on to a debt collector. The letter I received from the debt collector stated I owed over €200. From a €5 debt? 

I am extremely annoyed about all this. I closed my account months ago and am still dealing with the fallout. And from what I've seen on boards and other forums I'm not alone in this experience.

I've raised my complaint with the Eir complaints team. I've also opened a complaint with Comreg and have been in touch with the Data Protection Commissioner. 

I have another account with Eir in my business and as soon as that contract is up I'll be closing my account and switching providers. I have zero trust in Eir to treat me or my private information with any respect.

I just want to update here for anyone that finds themselves in a similar situation.
    I have been dealing with Pamela via PM but have found out all I can through her. I have now lodged a complain on the Eir website.

I closed my account in July and contacted Eir 3 times to ensure the account was closed and fully paid. Each time I did I was told it was and that any communication I received to the contrary was in error.
    Pamela tells me now that their was a charge of less than €5 on my account in the middle of August which was returned to Eir unpaid. I received no communication or bill in relation to this and this "unpaid debt" along with all of my personal details was passed on to a debt collector. The letter I received from the debt collector stated I owed over €200. From a €5 debt? 

I am extremely annoyed about all this. I closed my account months ago and am still dealing with the fallout. And from what I've seen on boards and other forums I'm not alone in this experience.

I've raised my complaint with the Eir complaints team. I've also opened a complaint with Comreg and have been in touch with the Data Protection Commissioner. 

I have another account with Eir in my business and as soon as that contract is up I'll be closing my account and switching providers. I have zero trust in Eir to treat me or my private information with any respect.
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]No problem [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]littlejp,[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]apologies I could not assist you further with this.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks,[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Pamela [/font]

• Advertisement
Advertisement