Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transferring money from canadian bank

• 05-10-2016 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

My son who is not living in Canada needs to transfer money to my Irish bank account (aib) but it proving very difficult and expensive. Does anyone have any idea of how this can be done cheaply.:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭daheff

probably his bank is charging him a % of the value of the payment & a bad fx rate??

Try some of the money transfer bureaus. Might take a little while to get set up, but they generally have cheaper fx rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

gubby wrote: »
    My son who is not living in Canada needs to transfer money to my Irish bank account (aib) but it proving very difficult and expensive. Does anyone have any idea of how this can be done cheaply.:cool:

Have you tried some of the online FX currency brokers such as Currency Fair and Transfer Wise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Delta2113

"who is not living in Canada" - do you actually mean he is living in Canada?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

Delta2113 wrote: »
    "who is not living in Canada" - do you actually mean he is living in Canada?

now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

SORRY... of course I did mean "living in Canada" Thanks for the advice people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CHorn

Maybe he should open a Charles Schwab International brokerage account. Put some $s in it. It will allow you to buy CDs, stocks, mutual finds and gives you a VISA card too that you can use for ATM withdrawals. Just as good as a bank.

And you can wire money at a good (spot) FX rate to anywhere for a small fee. I do this from the US and fee is $25 to wire to BOI. You can even set up a standing instrux.

Can be done from Canada++ too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

Try the site/app Transfer Wise. Rates are extremely good.

Advertisement