Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepay Power - issues with deductions

Options
  • 05-10-2016 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Is anyone else having issues with Prepay Power taking deductions from payments. My understanding is that the practice is very dubious..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Do they say what the deductions are for? You might get better advice if you can offer a little more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They charge a hefty per-day fee and this goes in to negative if you have been without credit for any period of days and is taken off the next topup immediately. This would be the most common "deduction" people see.

Their unit charge is the same as Electric Ireland's 'standard rate' that nobody actually pays - its generally 20-25% higher.

If you aren't in severe financial trouble, move to a non prepay supplier. Not that being made pay vastly over the odds for power is going to help you get *out* of severe financial trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Chris2006

I'm not even sure what the charges/deductions are...

I have topped up by € 100 a few times since moving into the house and each time only € 75 appears on the top up metre..
    They tell me that I have to talk to their 'Revenue Protection Team' but is very difficult to get through to them and they tell me a different reason every time I call them and ask them to explain..

I suspect these may be illegal deductions. I never agreed any contract with them or authorised any such deductions. I'm just trying to find out if anyone has similar issues..

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Laura_A

Was the meter there before you moved in? If so it means that the person living there before you had ran up arrears and these arrears were to be paid by deducting x% (in this case 25%) of every top up..

Happened me with a Bord Gais prepay meter that was in a rented house I moved into. If you tell them you are a new tenant since x date they should be able to refund it if you send in a copy of your lease/transfer the meter into your name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Chris2006 wrote: »
    I'm not even sure what the charges/deductions are...

I have topped up by € 100 a few times since moving into the house and each time only € 75 appears on the top up metre..
    They tell me that I have to talk to their 'Revenue Protection Team' but is very difficult to get through to them and they tell me a different reason every time I call them and ask them to explain..

I suspect these may be illegal deductions. I never agreed any contract with them or authorised any such deductions. I'm just trying to find out if anyone has similar issues..

Holy crap. That suggests they are taking your credit possibly due to an unpaid bill and they are screwing YOU to get their money back.

I would find their office and go and camp in it until you get a straight answer.

• Advertisement

Laura_A wrote: »
    Was the meter there before you moved in? If so it means that the person living there before you had ran up arrears and these arrears were to be paid by deducting x% (in this case 25%) of every top up..

Happened me with a Bord Gais prepay meter that was in a rented house I moved into. If you tell them you are a new tenant since x date they should be able to refund it if you send in a copy of your lease/transfer the meter into your name.

Laura like. I told them from the outset that I was a new tenant and told them a few times since also. Thy still haven't refunded the deductions and it's over a year - shocking behaviour

If its Prepay Power (the company of that name) it should be impossible for someone to get in to arrears to begin with, by virtue of it being prepay. They do not offer post-pay services.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

L1011 wrote: »
    If its Prepay Power (the company of that name) it should be impossible for someone to get in to arrears to begin with, by virtue of it being prepay. They do not offer post-pay services.

Can easily happen if a house is vacant for a few months.

After i eventually got through to them, told their 'Revenue Protection team' that unless they gave me back the e25 credits that I would cancel the card payments. The guy tried to give me a warning about how I should not do that..
    I think I should ask the Credit card company to refund all payments to me as I don't think what they are doing here is legal...
    Their attitude on the phone is shocking too..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

After i eventually got through to them, told their 'Revenue Protection team' that unless they gave me back the e25 credits that I would cancel the card payments. The guy tried to give me a warning about how I should not do that..
    I think I should ask the Credit card company to refund all payments to me as I don't think what they are doing here is legal...
    Their attitude on the phone is shocking too..

We still seem to be missing the "why" here...which is kind of important.

• Advertisement

BuffyBot wrote: »
    We still seem to be missing the "why" here...which is kind of important.

I don't know why. It feels just like being given a runaround.
    That's why I have this post up here - see if anyone else getting the same runaround..
    First they ask me to get them a solicitor letter to confirm that I own the house (I told them -no way)..
    Later then they ask for property tax bill..- Gave them that...
    Now they ask for a metre reading. Gave them that - still no refund. - They have gone silent now - saying they will look into it (one year later!!)
    My point here is that if anyone else else takes e25 under false or unexplained pretences, is that not fraud or theft ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

My point here is that if anyone else else takes e25 under false or unexplained pretences, is that not fraud or theft ?

If unexplained it's neither fraud nor theft, just poor customer service.

That said, I'd find a new supplier. What contract are you on?

If unexplained it's neither fraud nor theft, just poor customer service.

That said, I'd find a new supplier. What contract are you on?

I've never seen a contract from them. Have had no logical explanation for them taking the e25 deductions and they haven't refunded it to me...so in my eyes that is a fraud-theft...

I will be changing provider.. But I want to see if their antics is widespread here..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The Likes of ESB put in a prepay meter if a customer is well behind in their bills , so they then start with 600 euro or so bring owed

ted1 wrote: »
    The Likes of ESB put in a prepay meter if a customer is well behind in their bills , so they then start with 600 euro or so bring owed

I know. But PPP don't take on debt from another operator. I can't see the potential debt from the meter running on empty for a prolonged period being set at a 25% retention rather than taking the entire topup either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

I know. But PPP don't take on debt from another operator. I can't see the potential debt from the meter running on empty for a prolonged period being set at a 25% retention rather than taking the entire topup either.

A house my uncle had rented ended up been somewhere between €300-€400 "behind"
    Iirc they took 30% of topups until the balance was cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well if a 'revenue protection' team is involved over and above standard customer service, it sounds awfully like they believe there is or has been some kind of fraud/misuse issue identified.

Advertisement